Speculation: Too many "ifs" next season should make Toronto struggle make the playoffs

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Many fans seem to have little concern about the roster next season. I think many fans think that most of the UFA holes will be filled with graduating Marlies.

Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov potentially all gone.

That's a grand total of 6 players to replace.

I know many of you can name off every Marlie plus Leivo and I still wouldn't be satisfied.

On paper the current team plus Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov means 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic. This current team plus all the "ifs" means no playoffs or possibly a wildcard spot.

The "ifs" are from a positive fans' perspective: if we trade for a D, if we find a couple of centers to replace the 3 that we lost, if the Marlies play well as NHLers, if Nylander plays center, if our elite prospects take a step, if no other Atlantic conference team takes a step, etc.

I just can't see us hitting a homerun with free agency, contracts, trades, and our Marlie Graduates creating a better team next year.

IMHO leaf fans can't be comfortable with this offseason, and I really can't see TOR to be better than a wildcard team.

Do you think TOR will be better next season? How so?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
All those players suck except for JVR.

JVR is a very one dimensional player and I'm not really a huge fan to be honest. I think we would be better off with Leivo anyways. JVR always got goals, but his line overall wasn't very effective.

We'll be better without those players and I hope none of them are resigned.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Internal improvement is a huge factor. More opportunity for Matthews, step up for Nylander, Kap, Brown, etc..

I see 3 key spots to fill (JVR, Bozak and JVR). Johnson already replaced Komo and Moore/Pleks always shared a role that I expect Aaltonen to play. Holl may replace Polak, but I think we'll need 2 UFAs upfront.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
With the players we are losing, the one's we are bringing in will be better defensively imo. JvR blows in his own end, Bozak blows in his own end, Polak will be back as a 6th or 7th d-man depending on what we do this summer and Moore only played in 50 games and is easily replaceable while Plek wasn't even on our roster for most of the year

I think the leafs will score less goals then last year but will be a better defensive team.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Among the Leafs UFA's potentially losing JVR would hurt the most when you look at his 36 goals from this past season.

However let's say the Leafs sign Tavares I think they will be ok and who knows what other moves Dubas will make.

Reactions: trellaine201

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Literally the only one of those players that I worry about replacing is JVR. And make no mistake, he will be missed offensively. I don't care who takes his ice time, it takes talent to score 36 goals. I won't miss him overall but I don't see those goals just getting magically replaced because someone else got his ice time opportunities.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Andersen doesn’t stand on his head and steal 5 games they are in a battle for a P.O. spot this year.

I expect them to take a step back next year and they’ll be in a battle for a playoff spot, but I will wait until the roster is finalized before placing a bet.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Among the Leafs UFA's potentially losing JVR would hurt the most when you look at his 36 goals from this past season.

However let's say the Leafs sign Tavares I think they will be ok and who knows what other moves Dubas will make.

I see your point, but you are serving up another "if". I would love Tavares as much as anyone, but I'm not counting on it. Tavares is possibly the biggest "if" wouldn't you say?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Literally the only one of those players that I worry about replacing is JVR. And make no mistake, he will be missed offensively. I don't care who takes his ice time, it takes talent to score 36 goals. I won't miss him overall but I don't see those goals just getting magically replaced because someone else got his ice time opportunities.

Whoever replaces him, unless they are another 1 dimensional player will actually have a F**k to give what goes on in the Leafs zone. As such they will only have to score 20 goals in order to make up for JVR's disinterest there, for Bozak having to reduce his shooting percentage to 7% to feed JvR and only JvR's stats and a 20+ goal scorer player in Brown having to subsume his offensive potential in order to provide defense for an entire line.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Andersen doesn’t stand on his head and steal 5 games they are in a battle for a P.O. spot this year.

I expect them to take a step back next year and they’ll be in a battle for a playoff spot, but I will wait until the roster is finalized before placing a bet.
Don't agree at all, our core players haven't even peaked. We haven't lost anything apart from JVR, and we have many players knocking at the door. And every team needs a goalie to stand on his head and steal games, that's like saying we need to score goals and play defence, not some exceptional need. I expect the same or better point total and a better team overall just based on maturation and experience.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Many fans seem to have little concern about the roster next season. I think many fans think that most of the UFA holes will be filled with graduating Marlies.

I know many of you can name off every Marlie plus Leivo and I still wouldn't be satisfied.

On paper the current team plus Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov means 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic. This current team plus all the "ifs" means no playoffs or possibly a wildcard spot.

The "ifs" are from a positive fans' perspective: if we trade for a D, if we find a couple of centers to replace the 3 that we lost, if the Marlies play well as NHLers, if Nylander plays center, if our elite prospects take a step, if no other Atlantic conference team takes a step, etc.

I just can't see us hitting a homerun with free agency, contracts, trades, and our Marlie Graduates creating a better team next year.

IMHO leaf fans can't be comfortable with this offseason, and I really can't see TOR to be better than a wildcard team.

Each and every one of those players will be, like Clarkson, Paneuf, Kessel et all will be an act of addition by subtraction. Toronto will be a better team without them. No home run needed, just replacement players actually playing at the same level they did this year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I really like the odds of Kapanen and Johnsson replacing JVR's goals. I think Marner/Matthews/Nylander have their biggest seasons yet.

Reactions: AppsSyl

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

This team is way better than that. Do you expect no one to get better?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I really like the odds of Kapanen and Johnsson replacing JVR's goals. I think Marner/Matthews/Nylander have their biggest seasons yet.
And Matthews will be on the top PP next year, losing JVR isn't as big a loss as some assume. We will have other options on the PP with him gone, maybe we lose that down low play but we have such talent, I suspect we find other ways to generate PP goals.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Well... that isn't quite six players, as Moore and Plekanec played the #4C... when Plekanec arrived, Moore went to the bench, when everyone else was healthy. -> We have Gauthier, Aaltonen, and Lindholm already competing for #4C for next year, and perhaps someone else enters the picture as well. No reason to be worried about #4 C

Komarov ended up being a healthy scratch, for better younger players. He's already been replaced by Marlies.

Polak could end up coming back, but lets be honest, we need to upgrade the RHD, and substantially. This isn't coming from the Marlies, but IMO, we need one or two new RHD, through trade, or UFA. Not worried in the least here, deals will be done.

Bozak - #3C -- Well, this will be an interesting one... We need a new body, unless they think that Nylander will be the #3C... which somehow I doubt will be the case. UFA, Trade???

JvR - His goals will be tough to replace, but the rest of his game not so hard.

But... It's June 6th, we have the draft, UFA, trades... this isn't October 1st and we haven't done anything. This isn't the time to worry, or be concerned, let them do their thing, and see what kind of team they build, then worry about it. Chill, far to premature this thread.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Regardless of what you think about the players lost and who may or may not replace them, were in a three team division and three teams per division are guaranteed a birth in the playoffs.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Shouldn't be a problem. Kapanen already was scoring at a 15g pace when playing with Moore/Pleckanec/Komarov. JvR would have been hard pressed to do better with those kind of linemates. Put him on a line with Johnsson and Nylander and that's a 3rd line that will put up points about the same points the Bozan/JvR/Brown line did and won't need the ridiculous degree of sheltering they needed because they one player trying to perform all the defense for 3 forwards.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Jvr scored plenty of goals. But defensively he is awful. Career year unlikely to duplicate. Would rather have a line of forwards that can be better defensively and play 200ft

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Regardless of what you think about the players lost and who may or may not replace them, were in a three team division and three teams per division are guaranteed a birth in the playoffs.

There is certainly some truth to this statement.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Have a feeling Polak will be resign as a 7th Dman.

Plek was here for like 20 games and he was not much a factor till a few games in the playoffs.

Moore is a non factor and can say the same about Leo.

JVR scores goals but by giving Kap and AJ his play time, those goals won't be miss.

Bozak wins faceoffs and plays C. We might miss him but if JT is coming, who cares.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
JvR is the only hard one to replace. Komarov and Moore were already replaced. Polak was effectively replaced by Ozhiganov. We can easily upgrade Bozak by committee. JvR is the only hard one, but we are not going to pay 7+ mill to replace him either when he is not a key piece to this team. That's clearly going to be a downgrade, but the big 3 need to show they are worth their money and between everyone trying to step up and develop, he should be replaced. We will likely get an external add to help out there.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This team is way better than that. Do you expect no one to get better?

I do expect that some players will get better, but most are at their ceiling.
Keep in mind they were closer to missing the playoffs than they were to winning the division.
I also expect at least 2 teams to make the playoffs that didn’t make it this year.
I think the Leafs will be in a battle all year.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->