Speculation: Too many "ifs" next season should make Toronto struggle make the playoffs

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Rick only played like 20 games with the bruins and when they acquired him they were already a great team. Also, I don't trust Babcock with how he deploys our young guys. Cassidy will let them play where as Babcock will most likely shelter them.
I agree with you about this point, but the young Leaf players are still getting very good production and likely even better next season.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The discussion really is "Can the Leafs lose 2/3 of their sheltered scoring line without taking a step back?"... not that the Leafs are losing a handful of replacement players.[/QUOTE]
The sky is always falling with some Leaf fans on here. Thank god Komorov is leaving.
JVR is ridiculously one-dimensional and a 3rd liner 5 on 5. In the cap era, he has to go. Especially with Kapanen and Johnsson ready for bigger roles.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It's gonna be hard not to. Those guys are elite players and are surrounded by great young players that are only gonna get better.
I somehow doubt you would say that if they were on the Leafs. Elite players regress as well. Bergeron is going to be 33.Chara 42.
It took Boston 7 games to beat the Leafs with Toronto having sub .900 goaltending, a 3 game Kadri suspension, and almost all ofd their core players not playing well. Think of that.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
The only notable guy that they are losing is Nash (Riley) but he is easily replaceable in the organization. The other guys are meh depth guys

They also tossed away Spooner in the Nash trade, so they'll need to replace his production as well.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Really? Seems pretty damn comparable to me with the exception of JVR, who is obviously better than Rick Nash...

JVR >> Rick Nash
Riley >= Bozak
Wingels > Komarov
Holden >= Polak
Schaller > Moore

Ah, but you have to look at who the Bruins tossed to get Nash ( a 26 year old on the rise who picked up 41 pts in 59 games this year + a first rounder). Looks worst for Boston really.

Reactions: Sypher04

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Opinions are not facts. You need to understand that.

You are like a sheep in wolves' clothing.

You want the Leafs to draft, develop, and give every opportunity to a developing AHL player (based on a Calder Cup appearance). You think an extra second round draft pick is more important than players like Plekanec and Boyle (2 pretty good NHL careers).
To you drafting is more important than air, water, and food.

Most importantly you are a defender of the faith. Suggesting Dubas sign UFAs and make trades is heresy.

It's ok all your gamer buddies on HFBoards still appreciate your opinion.
Right back atcha. Feel free to disagree but don't think for a second that your point of view is any more or less factual than mine.

For the record, that attempt was worse than a two bit fair psychic. You pretty much painted my polar opposite with your wild stab at my profile. Moreover, just because we happen to agree on a few trades it doesn't make your inane freakout any more plausible or justify it.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It'll be interesting to see what the B's do in the next few years. Bergeron and Marchand just had career years in their 30's and really helped carry the team.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Sure
26 year olds who score points at a 0.7 PPG rate are easy to replace? Sure, piece of cake:sarcasm:
There was a reason why they gave him up quite easily. He goes commando quite often and is a defensive liability. He doesn't fit the mold of the bruins and management had lots of conflicts with him in terms of co tract extensions. Chances are they don't qualify him if he was on the team today.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
There was a reason why they gave him up quite easily. He goes commando quite often and is a defensive liability. He doesn't fit the mold of the bruins and management had lots of conflicts with him in terms of co tract extensions. Chances are they don't qualify him if he was on the team today.
Don't qualify him? That's absurd and Chia level of managing players.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You have a weird way of mixing up your opinion and what you think is the truth.
If that's how you'd run a team that's cool. Don't assume GM's would be making the same mistakes as you would.
it really isn't my opinion. i'm all but certain boston wouldn't qualify him. i would if i was the gm though.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
yes, just like Seguin was lazy and bad defensively and didn't fit the mold. That's not to say Spooner will turn into a superstar, but he's a good player that Boston could have used

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Sounds like a coaching/management issue of which Boston is rightfully infamous. Doesn't make him+ a first round pick something many teams would take over what JvR brings to the table and will cost.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
He's better than 2 out of 3 of the UFas you claim the Leafs will be so hurt by to lose.
yes he is. however, if he remained on boston, he'd be leaving a team that has amazing depth so the loss wouldn't be as big for boston and jvr will be for the leafs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
26 year-olds who get 41 points in only 56 games never get let go for free. It's hilaious to hear how much Komorov leaving hurts the Leafs, but Spooner was so useless they would not even qualify him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
yes he is. however, if he remained on boston, he'd be leaving a team that has amazing depth so the loss wouldn't be as big for boston and jvr will be for the leafs.
Spooner would be qualified. You are being ridiculous. And BTW, the Leafs themselves have great depth.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
26 year-olds who get 41 points in only 56 games never get let go for free. It's hilaious to hear how much Komorov leaving hurts the Leafs, but Spooner was so useless they would not even qualify him.
he's not useless, he just didn't fit with the team and management didn't want to give a huge raise because he isn't that great of a player.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
he's not useless, he just didn't fit with the team and management didn't want to give a huge raise because he isn't that great of a player.
So then they'd move him. They would not dump him for free. He was kept by them in the expansion draft a year ago FYI.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Spooner would be qualified. You are being ridiculous. And BTW, the Leafs themselves have great depth.
boston has better depth than toronto and spooner wouldn't be qualified. they don't have that much cap space and it would cost at least 3 million to qualify him. they have internal replacements that are much cheaper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad