Speculation: Too many "ifs" next season should make Toronto struggle make the playoffs

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
So then they'd move him. They would not dump him for free. He was kept by them in the expansion draft a year ago FYI.
he was kept because at the time they didn't have nhl ready depth. guys like debrusk, bjork, heinen, donato weren't nhl ready.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
he was kept because at the time they didn't have nhl ready depth. guys like debrusk, bjork, heinen, donato weren't nhl ready.
I know you dislike the Leafs, but this is ridiculous. That was a TERRIBLE trade by Boston to give up those assets for an aging Rick Nash. Spooner would not be let go for free. He has too much value.
Are you aware the Leafs had better depth statistically than the Bruins last season?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I know you dislike the Leafs, but this is ridiculous. That was a TERRIBLE trade by Boston to give up those assets for an aging Rick Nash. Spooner would not be let go for free. He has too much value.
i don't dislike the leafs and that wasn't a terrible trade by the bruins whatsoever. it wasn't a good one though. spooner doesn't have too much value. his value at best is a 2nd round pick.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
i don't dislike the leafs and that wasn't a terrible trade by the bruins whatsoever. it wasn't a good one though. spooner doesn't have too much value. his value at best is a 2nd round pick.
Ryan Spooner was a 2nd round pick who developed into a top 6 player. How is he worth a 2nd round pick? You're way off on all of your assessments.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ryan Spooner was a 2nd round pick who developed into a top 6 player. How is he worth a 2nd round pick? You're way off on all of your assessments.
no i'm not. no team would give up a 1st round pick for ryan spooner. thats absurd.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
It does seem like the Leafs are making this huge philosophy change this offseason towards young guys running the team. Dubas as gm. Unloading half the veterans on this team with Bozak, JVR, Polak, Komarov, Moore...that’s significant veteran leadership leaving and being potentially replaced by Marlies. Even picking up a couple UFAs doesn’t replace all of them.

I do understand that the young guys are better overall. But there are still big difficulties we would be facing as a young team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It does seem like the Leafs are making this huge philosophy change this offseason towards young guys running the team. Dubas as gm. Unloading half the veterans on this team with Bozak, JVR, Polak, Komarov, Moore...that’s significant veteran leadership leaving and being potentially replaced by Marlies. Even picking up a couple UFAs doesn’t replace all of them.

I do understand that the young guys are better overall. But there are still big difficulties we would be facing as a young team.
Do we know if any of that is true aside from Dubas? I could easily see Polak and Bozak return while some depth UFAs fill Moore and JVR's role.

Reactions: The Apologist

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Right back atcha. Feel free to disagree but don't think for a second that your point of view is any more or less factual than mine.

For the record, that attempt was worse than a two bit fair psychic. You pretty much painted my polar opposite with your wild stab at my profile. Moreover, just because we happen to agree on a few trades it doesn't make your inane freakout any more plausible or justify it.

No it's not. It's an opinion. History hasn't happened yet. After the draft and July first things become facts. At the end of the season where TOR falls in the standings will be a fact too.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

I guess they didn't think these particular veteran's offer the kind of 'leadership' the team needs.

Reactions: Menzinger

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

The kids were leading the vets these past 2 seasons. Good riddance to those guys, I say.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I for one think they might be ok. If they are going to let JVR walk for big money they may have another target in mind. I honestly don't believe Komo is that much of a loss. Bozak we would feel throughout the season but I don't think he falls off the board in the mins after opening of UFA period.

I think the Leafs make a run at Tavares and dangle Nylander after the fact. That would make us pretty sick down the middle.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
I'd rather give the young guys a chance then make a move just for the sake of it. If a good deal comes up, whether it be trade or signing, do it, but dont f*** our cap or long term asset management to try and make something happen early.

Leivo, Kappanen, Johnson, Dermott and others (Gauthier, Holl?) are already able to contribute in the NHL. They will either flourish right away, which is good for the short term or maybe they need to figure things out and grow, in which case we can potentially get these guys signed to sweet-heart contracts if Dubas handles them properly.

IMO getting this next wave of young guys on some good contracts is imperative to the long-term success of this club. We already have the big pieces, but we need to surround them with quality players as efficiently as possible, and I think we already have a lot of the ingredients needed.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So Las Vegas odds say the Leafs are a top contender. If you have Matthews/Marner Nylander all 22 and 21, you are in excellent shape.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Many fans seem to have little concern about the roster next season. I think many fans think that most of the UFA holes will be filled with graduating Marlies.

Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov potentially all gone.

That's a grand total of 6 players to replace.

I know many of you can name off every Marlie plus Leivo and I still wouldn't be satisfied.

On paper the current team plus Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov means 2nd or 3rd in the Atlantic. This current team plus all the "ifs" means no playoffs or possibly a wildcard spot.

The "ifs" are from a positive fans' perspective: if we trade for a D, if we find a couple of centers to replace the 3 that we lost, if the Marlies play well as NHLers, if Nylander plays center, if our elite prospects take a step, if no other Atlantic conference team takes a step, etc.

I just can't see us hitting a homerun with free agency, contracts, trades, and our Marlie Graduates creating a better team next year.

IMHO leaf fans can't be comfortable with this offseason, and I really can't see TOR to be better than a wildcard team.

Do you think TOR will be better next season? How so?

"Polak, JVR, Moore, Bozak, Plekanec, and Komarov potentially all gone.

That's a grand total of 6 players to replace".

Before I read the rest of your post:

- Moore/Plekanec only count as 1 & Aaltonen/Lindholm project to be better.
- Polak also rotates in/out of the lineup with Carrick & Carrick is probably better.
- Komarov should have been in the press box by the trade deadline.

The only two that there should be concern about are JVR & Bozak.

I'm not that concerned though.

JVR = Johnsson / Leivo / UFA / Trade
Komarov = Grundstrom / Engvall / Martin
Plekanec = Aaltonen / T.Moore
Moore = Lindholm / Gauthier
Polak = Carrick / Ozhiganov / Holl / Liljegren
Bozak = .......Tavares?

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I do expect that some players will get better, but most are at their ceiling.
Keep in mind they were closer to missing the playoffs than they were to winning the division.
I also expect at least 2 teams to make the playoffs that didn’t make it this year.
I think the Leafs will be in a battle all year.

"I do expect that some players will get better, but most are at their ceiling".

Please list "most" of the Leafs that are at their ceiling?

Marleau + Hainsey & maybe Kadri + Gardiner are at their ceilings (I'n not counting UFA's).

The other 20 guys looking for a roster spot arn't.....

Reactions: Boutette

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The Leafs will easily get into the playoffs. I believe that, with the aging Bruins and the tough Conference Final for TB, the Leafs could easily move up in their own division. They weren't that far off last year. I would like to keep Bozak, I think he demonstrated some leadership qualities through the last half of the season. JVR's goals may be tough to replace but must admit I'm not a huge fan. Saying that, it is not the regular season that will be the problem. Defence needs a lot of work and it is still questionable whether or not Andersen is a bonafide playoff goalie. The bigger problem is whether this Leaf team has the intestinal fortitude to win during the second season. Heart and desire is not something you can teach. How much was Ovechkin's leadership responsible for Washington's win? He inspired his team and demanded everyone play at his level. Do the Leafs have that kind of desire or leadership? It certainly has shown up if they do. It is often the intangibles that take you to the next level and this is true from the management right through the entire organization. We'll see next spring.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Sometimes you just have to take a calculated chance of the "if's" and hope it works out. Just like you take a chance on a playoff run and not cash in on valuable UFA's and horribly let them walk for nothing while you could of spin those assets in so many other ways.

Take a chance on AJ, Kasp and Dermot. Heck if you really feel good about Dermot you might be inclined to move Gardiner since we have Rielly, Gards and Dermot on the left side.

Mar 26, 2010
The Leafs will miss the playoffs again next year and for years to come.

The only hope to save this franchise is Tavares. Matthews will fail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad