Proposal: Leafs - Sabres

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
:leafs
Rasmus Dahlin
Peyton Krebs

:sabres
Mitch Marner (Extension in place with buffalo)
Morgan Rielly
2024 1st Round Pick

Let’s humour the delusion for a minute here. Dahlin is obviously not on the block, but if a deal is too good to pass up, anybody can get moved.

Leafs do this to get a young #1D on the back end locked up long term and get a young roster player with potential that hasn’t quite taken the next step yet.

Sabres take a lesser defensemen in return that’s been miscast in TO but can shelter the younger d core to some degree. They also get a talented winger in Marner that can form a dangerous top line with TT and get a 1st round pick to sweeten the pot.

Thoughts?

Take Marner out and add Matthews. Rielly is a #2 D man ... and at $7.5 M a good price but the guy's D is terrible. Wrong fit for Buffalo. I see Tavares as a fit with $4 M retained for small return. B level prospect

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
No idea. I’m not a fan of either team. Just purely the fact that people think these two teams can swap without close to even cap on both sides is comical.

Its 9 mil going to Toronto and 10.9mil going to Buffalo cap wise. So that's pretty freaking even cap wise.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I hope we do the below:

1. A week prior to the draft tell him he want to see what he wants for this last year? Is he committed to toronto. If he is then offer 8 years 10M with 10 team trade list He takes a discount and restores some of his lost reputation if he signs. I expect he laughs due to self belief he is better than this and says no

2. If he says no to discount deal, then ask him for 10-15 team trade list he is fine to be dealt to and we will try out best to accomodate a deal between now and first few days of UFA in July. If he declines waive his NMC then you go to below.

3. Leak to major media sources that marner isnt going to sign an extension with the leafs and wont waive his NMC. It will create pressure on him and make him uncomfortable. Marner doesnt like that type of setting and it likely leads to him accepting his NMC being waived

They shouldn’t offer him anything. They should tell him if he doesn’t waive, he’s not getting the 8th year. They should ask him to give them a list of any number of teams that he’d waive for where he and his agent then can negotiate his next deal. Those teams are aware of how bad he is in the playoffs. Those may not offer much. And they may not want to give him a contract until thy see how the season goes.

Toronto should take bake a player that they think can help them win now. And this player might have a contract that his team is trying to shed. As long as it’s a decent player, gives Toronto cap space, and doesn’t have excessive term, they should do it.

Thinking a team that Marner is also open to waiving for is going to give a treasure trove of prospects for the privilege of paying a play off no show 11M is delusional.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Gotta say I kinda like the idea of Skinner for Marner and chances are Jeff might, as well.
In terms of playoff-performance it works perfectly, since, for all we know, Skinner might be just as good or even better than Marner, there's no way of knowing. As for Marner's post-season vanishing act, that won't be a problem in Buffalo. The Sabres don't play in the playoffs, it's kind of a tradition. Has been for 13 years.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I hope we do the below:

1. A week prior to the draft tell him he want to see what he wants for this last year? Is he committed to toronto. If he is then offer 8 years 10M with 10 team trade list He takes a discount and restores some of his lost reputation if he signs. I expect he laughs due to self belief he is better than this and says no

2. If he says no to discount deal, then ask him for 10-15 team trade list he is fine to be dealt to and we will try out best to accomodate a deal between now and first few days of UFA in July. If he declines waive his NMC then you go to below.

3. Leak to major media sources that marner isnt going to sign an extension with the leafs and wont waive his NMC. It will create pressure on him and make him uncomfortable. Marner doesnt like that type of setting and it likely leads to him accepting his NMC being waived
That contract is a slap in the face and completely unrealistic. That’s the kind of thing that would make him play out the year and walk for nothing.

Nylander out scored Marner one year on a contract year, but Marner still out paced him. Never scored more points than Marner’s 99. Nylander has had only 2 PPG seasons Marner has 6. Marner also has more playoff points than anyone in this core.

Nylander gets $11.5m and Marner has to take $10m? Not a chance. This entire scenario ends with that insulting contract offer. Some Leafs fans have lost their shit.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I hope we do the below:

In regard to 3rd point, you could also sit him. In a contract year it would obliterate his value in a contract year. He'd buckle and give you his list of teams. It won't be 10 though it'll be 2-3 teams max.

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Sabres aren’t trading Dahlin period. He is most likely going to be a Sabre for the duration of his current contract and a trade would only be entertained in the last 2 years of his 8 year deal that kicks in next year. You don’t trade a star defenceman for older star players that want more money than you are paying your current stars.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Dahlin is a top 10 defenseman in the NHL, signed to an 8-year extension that hasn’t even started yet, and in all likelihood will be announced as the Sabres next captain soon. Some of the takes in here are straight up embarrassing they’re so bad.

Not that it actually matters because he’s untouchable but yikes.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Hot take, the Sabres should trade Dahlin if they could get a 1C out of it. But baring that it’s a non starter.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
tenor.gif
This is not the Marner deal you are looking for ….

Buffalo doesn't need or want Marner, they have Savoie coming (and other young studs like Kulich).
They probably want a top 4 RHD, and will maybe at some point look to trade Byram or Power for a RHD stud or stud forward.

Toronto isn't giving up a top winger in the league extended long term, their best D and a 1st rounder for Dahlin. Take away the 1st rounder and Leafs might consider it.

Take away Reilly and add the first coming from buffalo, instead

I have no problem with the sign and trade in order to get the 1st reversed

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
tenor.gif

Yeah I don't think that deal gets done.
Dahlin and a first+ for the highly coveted signed Mitch Marner. It doesn't even roll off the tongue well.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
tenor.gif

So Dahlin and the 11th for Marner and the Leafs first? Lmao. Yeah right. Unless you meant Skinner and wrote Dahlin.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Power should be the D the Leafs target off the roster, since Buff just traded for Byram, and neither of those 2 should be a bottom pair Defender.
Dahlin i'd expect 'should' be one of Buffalo's untouchables and maybe the only one
the Sabres have enough NHL ready (or close) prospects to even make it a futures only deal.
Tage/Cousins shouldnt be dealt either, but, would likely be asked about
Tuch i could see as part of a package if its picks/prospects

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Dahlin is a few years younger than Reilly, other than that they are pretty comparable players

Marner is a grade A superstar

I meant dahlin + 11th OA for Marner signed 8 years, straight up
Depends on how much you value the regular season. Depends on how much you value cap space.

roon

Mar 1, 2012
Minnesota
Dahlin is a few years younger than Reilly, other than that they are pretty comparable players

Marner is a grade A superstar

I meant dahlin + 11th OA for Marner signed 8 years, straight up

You realize we all just saw Marner completely disappear when it mattered most for like the 4th year in a row right?

Grade A Superstar? I'll take some of whatever drug you are on please.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Power should be the D the Leafs target off the roster, since Buff just traded for Byram, and neither of those 2 should be a bottom pair Defender.
Dahlin i'd expect 'should' be one of Buffalo's untouchables and maybe the only one
the Sabres have enough NHL ready (or close) prospects to even make it a futures only deal.
Tage/Cousins shouldnt be dealt either, but, would likely be asked about
Tuch i could see as part of a package if its picks/prospects
wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad