The Shirt Guy"Geoff" Fan Appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Molson and Bergevin have had this coming for a couple of seasons now. The fanbase has been relatively tame in respect to public acts of defiance.

They should consider themselves lucky that a few Tshirts at an away game is the extent of fan protest. It could be a lot worse and in much worse taste.

Much respect to Rob. He's one of the few fans attending games that actually have the balls to publically voice the opinions that most of us voice on here.

I, for one, like what Rob did. Showing the Habs management that fans are ready for another path.

The problem I have is that Habs management doesn’t see that themselves. It’s obvious when you look at the team, the standings, the # of times they have been shutout, the aging core, the prospect pool, the pitiful offence, the bad trades, the poor signings, and the poor development of their prospects that the Habs organization clearly needs new blood from the top down to turn this around. Without a new path, a new leadership this team won’t be contenders any time soon.

25 years without even a finals appearance, I for one can wait a few more years, but the way it’s going 30, 35, 40 years will come and pass and the Habs won’t contend.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Could this happen at the Bell Centre? I mean would the habs try and prevent it?

It wouldn't surprise me if they did. The Habs are anal about their image and their PR Dept. is very intrusive and in your face -- I suspect they'd be using every trick in the book to put an end to it. I don't know if they'd go as far as risking the embarrassment of what happened in Kanata a few ago when Sens security personnel confronted fans who displayed signage featuring negative messaging and the whole thing produced ugly connotations on social media.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't know if it occurred to those of you who are Expos fans, but Rob's efforts remind me of the trailblazing that a fan took upon himself to accomplish, when trying to save the Expos was still a thing.

Remember this guy?

265n6m.jpg

265nfu.gif

Luckily for us, no one is ever going to relocate the Habs and the owner's cash flow and revenue stream are not in jeopardy -- it's only being sadly misused, postponing a more judicious use of resources every day Bergevin is allowed to continue in his functions. But, it'll never be as dire as the Expos -- the kind of stupidity that charaterizes current ownership can be overcome in time.

Had seen the Robot's costume many times but had never really paid attention to what he used to create his head gear. He's got a hockey mask inside a water cooler bottle, that he spray-painted in silver. :laugh:

I'm sure that Rob, as an aeronautical engineer, is not impressed with the technology that went behind the get-up.

265noa.gif

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have to get a kick out of some people white-knighting Bergevin and Molson over T-shirt guy.

These two clowns have destroyed the best chance this team has had at a cup since the Roy trade.. and only now, after a third pathetic season in a row.. are they starting to get some heat.

Need I remind you that people went to a protest and got mad over every possible venue over Cunneyworth coaching while english at the end of a failed season.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

tshirt guy

Jan 2, 2018
Palm Beach Florida
Nah you guys clearly think really highly of yourselves and yet procede to encourage a 50 year old wearing excessively tactless t-shirts I wouldn't find funny in high school. Fans are fans are fans.

I don't like Bergevin... I want him gone. Your post has nothing to do with mine.

Crazy eh? I can hold multiple positions, one of which is wanting bergevin fired and the other is that t shirt guy reminds me of why sports fans can be completely embarrassing
Who was embarrassed and for what reason ask yourself that? So you're ok with Bergie just taking fans money and giving them literally no return on investment and not being held accountable. We are going on 7 years of his piss poor management of this team, moreover he has proven he is not a manager yet. Sometimes you need to speak out loud and let someone know this is not going unnoticed.

tshirt guy

Jan 2, 2018
Palm Beach Florida
I'm not offended by it I'm more surprised how many people find it funny. I find it kind of weird that a man his age takes the time to do that.

It appears I'm the one who has offended people here by disagreeing, tragic. I'm not asking you to agree with me and I'm not asking you not to find it funny but I just find it kind of classless and sad. I also want Bergevin gone.

Hope I didn't offend your sensibilities by being too sensitive
I didn't rrealize there was an age limit on how much abuse we should tolerate from horrible management. So tell us, what's the proper age for any form of expression and let us know what is acceptable? I don' see you spending a dime to make any statement, at least I put my money where it made an impact. Should we do paper bags, where do they rank in your rules of expression? What about throwing a Habs jersey on the ice? That's something I would not do, to me that's extreme. To be completely honest there's about 1,000 positive to every 1 negative reaction. And I'm not going to battle anyone that supports Bergevin either, that is their right and I respect it.

In the end this was to express many people's discontent, and have some fun and it worked. I don't see anyone else doing anything anywhere. Yet everyone wants something done. I have not threatened anyone's life, family, or used profanity. The irony of all your statements is you say you're no a Bergevin fan and everyone on here can't stand him, so please do tell us what the appropriate action is to hold him accountable because we've all seen Geoff Molson isn't doing anything about it.

It was innocent fun, lighten up buddy, our season has sucked and we're feddup of Bergie B.S. You're taking this all way too seriously.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's a fair post. All fans should support in a way of their own choosing, and criticize as they see fit also.

Personally, I think passive acceptance of abject failure reflects much worse on a fanbase than seeing them rise up and let their dissatisfaction and anger be visible, audible and palpable.
Well said !

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I didn't rrealize there was an age limit on how much abuse we should tolerate from horrible management. So tell us, what's the proper age for any form of expression and let us know what is acceptable? I don' see you spending a dime to make any statement, at least I put my money where it made an impact. Should we do paper bags, where do they rank in your rules of expression? What about throwing a Habs jersey on the ice? That's something I would not do, to me that's extreme. To be completely honest there's about 1,000 positive to every 1 negative reaction. And I'm not going to battle anyone that supports Bergevin either, that is their right and I respect it.
In the end this was to express many people's discontent, and have some fun and it worked. I don't see anyone else doing anything anywhere. Yet everyone wants something done. I have not threatened anyone's life, family, or used profanity. The irony of all your statements is you say you're no a Bergevin fan and everyone on here can't stand him, so please do tell us what the appropriate action is to hold him accountable because we've all seen Geoff Molson isn't doing anything about it.

It was innocent fun, lighten up buddy, our season has sucked and we're feddup of Bergie B.S. You're taking this all way too seriously.

I'm the one taking it too seriously? Probably but I'm also not the one bitching every day on this forum non stop. I enjoy watching hockey in general. While I want Bergevin gone I also watch less because of it. I don't go to live games.

I have nothing against you expressing yourself, the shirts are funny but I did find them embarrassing... for me. You're welcome to disagree with me and you're about the tenth person to do so here.

I listen to TSN690 and sometimes some of the people they get on the show make me cringe, it's not that I don't want them calling in to express their opinions it's just a guttural feeling.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
The coaches are diplomatic and do what they are there to do. The players get a kick out of it. Some smiles, one busted a gutt in december had to bury his face in his gloves so the coach couldnt see him. And Im sure some players may feel otherwise. Some may actually like Bergie. They have a different relationship with him, so we can only guess.

What shirt was the player laughing at? Do you remember?

Reactions: tshirt guy

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
T-Shirt Guy did what a lot of us wished we would have done. Really it was either that or throwing our jerseys on the ice.

And if they don't allow people to express themselves this way, I can see jerseys being thrown in the upcoming weeks. They felt embarrassed? Watch out.

Reactions: tshirt guy

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
T-Shirt Guy did what a lot of us wished we would have done. Really it was either that or throwing our jerseys on the ice.

And if they don't allow people to express themselves this way, I can see jerseys being thrown in the upcoming weeks. They felt embarrassed? Watch out.
I would say that is coming.

Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a fair post. All fans should support in a way of their own choosing, and criticize as they see fit also.

Personally, I think passive acceptance of abject failure reflects much worse on a fanbase than seeing them rise up and let their dissatisfaction and anger be visible, audible and palpable.

Rob is the only fan that I've seen, who is putting himself in a position to make a statement strong enough such that the media does their job. We know all too well how long it takes for some pockets of local media to turn against a GM who has too many friends who are willing to have his back rather than do their job and report things where they're truly at. We've seen a similar long leash afforded to Michel Therrien by his Quebec media friends who are nothing but jokers who have no journalistic ethics nor integrity.

We already know that not much else will work in the captive market we're in, with the Habs holding court year-round. There isn't any other sport at the moment that is capable of giving them competition. I've heard how the season ticket waiting list is 6,000 strong and even with the many empty seats that have been shown repeatedly in social media, ownership knows they have latitude. There are too few fans willing to make a statement and give up their loges and season tickets. They're all too aware that when the tide turns, they'll be stuck on the new waiting list of the year 2025, when their turn comes up again. Maybe.

So no shortage of fans willing to pay for tickets and no shortage of revenue. Only place where I've seen a drop has been in their television audience and there continues to be a bevy of fans who express outrage on open-line shows across the spectrum, on TSN690, 98,5FM and 91.9FM, not to mention on social media and on a very active forum such as this one. There isn't one day when several fans are expressing disgust and frustration and want to lambaste Molson.

Other than the above, the only other avenue where one can make a statement is to public-shame them, by directly attacking their image, which they are super anal about. Look at the many instances where the Habs PR Dept. acts like the gestapo, threatening individual reporters and those who broadcast their games. And this is where Rob is being effective -- he's putting a dent in their attempts to minimize the situation and cover up Bergevin's failings -- it's pretty clear to everyone that this is not a one-year issue, it's not as Molson has been trying to paint it, as a "bad season". It's a bad tenure, Geoff. Wake the f*** up.

We need more people like Rob, to stand up to the Habs' propaganda machine. The Habs are too busy trying to control the message rather than making substantive decisions. And since no one else is willing to put up their money and time to make statements, then props to Rob for getting the job done. He has no vested interest in being a voice in this other than wanting to see better days for his team. Kudos Rob, keep fighting the good fight.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I remember how the Expos Robot would attend league meetings and stand where the reporters could see him and bring his fight to their turf. Rob has found a way of getting his message out there in a simpler yet as effective a fashion. What's important is that the message doesn't lose steam. Maybe it'll inspire others to follow up with just a constructive a way to express apathy. What's important is that it be done in the same peaceful manner that Rob used.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Rob is the only fan that I've seen, who is putting himself in a position to make a statement strong enough such that the media does their job. We know all too well how long it takes for some pockets of local media to turn against a GM who has too many friends who are willing to have his back rather than do their job and report things where they're truly at. We've seen a similar long leash afforded to Michel Therrien by his Quebec media friends who are nothing but jokers who have no journalistic ethics nor integrity.

We already know that not much else will work in the captive market we're in, with the Habs holding court year-round. There isn't any other sport at the moment that is capable of giving them competition. I've heard how the season ticket waiting list is 6,000 strong and even with the many empty seats that have been shown repeatedly in social media, ownership knows they have latitude. There are too few fans willing to make a statement and give up their loges and season tickets. They're all too aware that when the tide turns, they'll be stuck on the new waiting list of the year 2025, when their turn comes up again. Maybe.

So no shortage of fans willing to pay for tickets and no shortage of revenue. Only place where I've seen a drop has been in their television audience and there continues to be a bevy of fans who express outrage on open-line shows across the spectrum, on TSN690, 98,5FM and 91.9FM, not to mention on social media and on a very active forum such as this one. There isn't one day when several fans are expressing disgust and frustration and want to lambaste Molson.

Other than the above, the only other avenue where one can make a statement is to public-shame them, by directly attacking their image, which they are super anal about. Look at the many instances where the Habs PR Dept. acts like the gestapo, threatening individual reporters and those who broadcast their games. And this is where Rob is being effective -- he's putting a dent in their attempts to minimize the situation and cover up Bergevin's failings -- it's pretty clear to everyone that this is not a one-year issue, it's not as Molson has been trying to paint it, as a "bad season". It's a bad tenure, Geoff. Wake the **** up.

We need more people like Rob, to stand up to the Habs' propaganda machine. The Habs are too busy trying to control the message rather than making substantive decisions. And since no one else is willing to put up their money and time to make statements, then props to Rob for getting the job done. He has no vested interest in being a voice in this other than wanting to see better days for his team. Kudos Rob, keep fighting the good fight.

:clap:

A must read for all Hab fans.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Other than the above, the only other avenue where one can make a statement is to public-shame them, by directly attacking their image, which they are super anal about. Look at the many instances where the Habs PR Dept. acts like the gestapo, threatening individual reporters and those who broadcast their games. And this is where Rob is being effective -- he's putting a dent in their attempts to minimize the situation and cover up Bergevin's failings -- it's pretty clear to everyone that this is not a one-year issue, it's not as Molson has been trying to paint it, as a "bad season". It's a bad tenure, Geoff. Wake the **** up.

As usual R77, you hit the nail on the head. People were substantially more motivated to speak out against an English speaking interim coach than decades of mostly uncompetitive hockey.

The opportunities to take aim at an owner who demonstrates little passion for championships and his well protected underlings, who can't build a winner with all the money, support and umpteen holy indulgences, are limited to visible public performances like our friend Rob/n has so masterfully performed.

I used the backslash not just to poke a little fun at the amusing misspellings of his name but also because if one prounounces it aloud, we hear the name of another legend who was famous for his hood rather than t-shirt.

Keep fighting the good fight Rob/n. We are in your debt.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
After the Quiet Revolution of Quebec. In others words, Revolution Tranquille in francais. It's an obligation that us. The Montrealers in the blood (from all the places on Earth) start a new revolution. It's our club. Our identity. A part of our history. An cultural heritage. Stolen. Destroyed. Humiliated. An
simple gesture from us can make a entire difference.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
As usual R77, you hit the nail on the head. People were substantially more motivated to speak out against an English speaking interim coach than decades of mostly uncompetitive hockey.

The opportunities to take aim at an owner who demonstrates little passion for championships and his well protected underlings, who can't build a winner with all the money, support and umpteen holy indulgences, are limited to visible public performances like our friend Rob/n has so masterfully performed.

I used the backslash not just to poke a little fun at the amusing misspellings of his name but also because if one prounounces it aloud, we hear the name of another legend who was famous for his hood rather than t-shirt.

Keep fighting the good fight Rob/n. We are in your debt.

Oh now you're just asking for it!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
After the Quiet Revolution of Quebec. In others words, Revolution Tranquille in francais. It's an obligation that us. The Montrealers in the blood (from all the places on Earth) start a new revolution. It's our club. Our identity. A part of our history. An cultural heritage. Stolen. Destroyed. Humiliated. An
simple gesture from us can make a entire difference.

Now morphed into la Révolution Tanquiste. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad