OT: **The Off-Topic Thread Part 2**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The wait is finally over! Anglesmith recorded his first assist, first point and first multi-point game with two assists this evening! I played my best game by far despite having a really bad cold. At one point, I was +2 with 2 assists and the game was tied. Our goaltending is beyond awful, though, and so we lost 9-5. I ended up -2, but I was on for three powerplay goals for, so that was good. I also blocked a couple of shots (one of my assists was a blocked shot, then a lead pass to our winger for a breakaway). I had a shot on goal in the first and also attempted my first slapshot (which was blocked by my own teammate trying to tip it).

My only issues are skating backwards and defending one-on-one. I can't keep up with guys if they drive wide even if I turn immediately and skate forwards. I also have a tendency to stop skating when they get close to me, and this usually leads to me falling over and contributing nothing to stopping him.

Seriously, though, our goalie is 35 and has played goal for apparently 19 years, and he is about as bad as I could possibly imagine. One of their goals tonight was a wrist shot from the blueline on the rush with no traffic, which was softer than my wrist shot, and basically arced through the air and into the net. There was time for him to shuffle over and take it in the chest if he wanted to, but instead he just waved his glove at it pathetically. It's not as bad as his goal last game where he tried to cover a loose puck with no one around and instead knocked it through his own legs and into the net, but it's just as bad. The other really annoying thing he does is when we're absolutely gassed from being in our own end for a while and the puck comes to him, he stays on his feet and just pokes at it with his stick rather than going down and covering it. Everyone gets really pissed at what appears to be extreme laziness, which is kind of good, because if they're mad at him, they typically aren't mad at me.

May 27, 2012
Earth
The wait is finally over! Anglesmith recorded his first assist, first point and first multi-point game with two assists this evening! I played my best game by far despite having a really bad cold. At one point, I was +2 with 2 assists and the game was tied. Our goaltending is beyond awful, though, and so we lost 9-5. I ended up -2, but I was on for three powerplay goals for, so that was good. I also blocked a couple of shots (one of my assists was a blocked shot, then a lead pass to our winger for a breakaway). I had a shot on goal in the first and also attempted my first slapshot (which was blocked by my own teammate trying to tip it).

My only issues are skating backwards and defending one-on-one. I can't keep up with guys if they drive wide even if I turn immediately and skate forwards. I also have a tendency to stop skating when they get close to me, and this usually leads to me falling over and contributing nothing to stopping him.

Seriously, though, our goalie is 35 and has played goal for apparently 19 years, and he is about as bad as I could possibly imagine. One of their goals tonight was a wrist shot from the blueline on the rush with no traffic, which was softer than my wrist shot, and basically arced through the air and into the net. There was time for him to shuffle over and take it in the chest if he wanted to, but instead he just waved his glove at it pathetically. It's not as bad as his goal last game where he tried to cover a loose puck with no one around and instead knocked it through his own legs and into the net, but it's just as bad. The other really annoying thing he does is when we're absolutely gassed from being in our own end for a while and the puck comes to him, he stays on his feet and just pokes at it with his stick rather than going down and covering it. Everyone gets really pissed at what appears to be extreme laziness, which is kind of good, because if they're mad at him, they typically aren't mad at me.

When did you guys pick up Devan Dubnyk?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lost some respect for Elias for his Hudler comments. Saying that Hudler isn't good enough to make the top 6 of the Czech roster when he has more points than any Czech not named Krecji or Jagr and that he isn't physical enough to play in the bottom 6 (yet Hemsky makes the team). Just didn't sit right with me.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
Lost some respect for Elias for his Hudler comments. Saying that Hudler isn't good enough to make the top 6 of the Czech roster when he has more points than any Czech not named Krecji or Jagr and that he isn't physical enough to play in the bottom 6 (yet Hemsky makes the team). Just didn't sit right with me.
I think Hudler may have had a falling out with Hadamczik and/or teammates at the WC or when he was visited at some point. There's no way he was left off because there were better options, because there aren't. He is the third best Czech forward in the world.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think Hudler may have had a falling out with Hadamczik and/or teammates at the WC or when he was visited at some point. There's no way he was left off because there were better options, because there aren't. He is the third best Czech forward in the world.

Yea I agree but to hear Elias try and defend the choice was kinda sad.

Last edited:

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Checked out the app Shnarped, pretty damn cool, the flames posted a video of Westgarth talking about it. Good way to keep up with your favorite players without having to look them up. Westgarth is the only verified Flame so far but he seems pretty active with it (he and his Princeton teammates created it), he already sent me a "pound" back.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Clear something up for me. My fluids prof went a good seven minutes OT in this morning's lecture. He kept adding to his complicated ass diagram and because I had to get to my next lecture, I pulled out my phone and took a quick picture of said diagram.

He tells me to "put that away" and that "this isn't a zoo here." Am I wrong for presuming that taking a picture of his diagram would be okay (I've never come across a prof who has objected)? Or is he an ass for going overtime in the lecture and getting pissed when someone wants a picture they can copy in their notes later?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Clear something up for me. My fluids prof went a good seven minutes OT in this morning's lecture. He kept adding to his complicated ass diagram and because I had to get to my next lecture, I pulled out my phone and took a quick picture of said diagram.

He tells me to "put that away" and that "this isn't a zoo here." Am I wrong for presuming that taking a picture of his diagram would be okay (I've never come across a prof who has objected)? Or is he an ass for going overtime in the lecture and getting pissed when someone wants a picture they can copy in their notes later?

He's out of line because of several factors. I can understand a professor not wanting students taking pictures during the lecture, because at my school it has become a bit of a fad and for someone at the back of the room, it can be extremely annoying when the front row is getting up constantly and taking pictures.

However, the fact that he made his lecture go overtime and had a complicated diagram which he expects you to know an understand (presumably) without sufficient time to digest it is on him, and he doesn't really have a right to object to what you do after he lets down his end of the bargain.

You might want to check if he has his notes online, or if he was referring to a classical diagram which would be available online by searching for it's name (like Bode plot or Jablonski diagram). Or you could go up to him after class and ask where the diagram would be available, given you weren't allowed sufficient time to make notes.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Hes in the wrong. Plain and simple. I know its easy to say 'I would have said something', but I seriously would have said something.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Thanks for the replies. This had my jimmies rustled all afternoon. As for not saying anything. I started to, then quickly stopped and apologised. I figured this guy is going to mark my midterm and final, so best not to make myself memorable by talking back or saying something snarky. Not to mention, he's a prof in the same department as me, so I'm likely to run into him again.

Btw, took the picture anyway right as he told me to put it away (no flash or noise).

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Thanks for the replies. This had my jimmies rustled all afternoon. As for not saying anything. I started to, then quickly stopped and apologised. I figured this guy is going to mark my midterm and final, so best not to make myself memorable by talking back or saying something snarky. Not to mention, he's a prof in the same department as me, so I'm likely to run into him again.

Just go to www.rustledjimmies.com and forget all about it.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

He is in the wrong because he ran overtime he can`t expect you to just wait forever. But there is a new study that came out not long ago that found kids that use cell phones/computers due 10% worse than their peers and kids around kids on cell phones/computer do 18% worse. I don't know about your school but mine (being in the stats program doesn't help) has been pushing it hard. Hopefully he was just trying to cut down on cell phone use and didn't realize he went over time but he is definitely the one in the wrong.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I agree with all your study facts. That's why I use pen and notebooks for all my mechanics classes (kind of have to use laptop for MATLAB, Solid works, LABVIEW, etc). This didn't seem like him trying to curb tech use. Either he was really concerned about his intellectual property or he just needed an excuse to display some authoritah.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Check your syllabus. I've had a few professors who've had the following section in theirs:

Recording Lectures
Recording of lectures is permitted for individual private study only at the discretion of the instructor. Any other use of recording constitutes Academic Misconduct and may result in suspension or expulsion. Both the student and the instructor must sign the appropriate Release Form to facilitate recording lectures.

Not all of the course syllabus's had something like that though so it does seem like it depends on the professor. But unless the prof puts the diagram online or puts it up in class again, it's a lousy and unfair move on his part.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I've never had a course that allowed the recordings (audio or video) or photographs of lectures without permission. Every syllabus automatically said that.

That being said, every semester I would send out a template email requesting that I record the lectures because I was a slow note taker (actually, I liked listening to them while working out). Even if the prof denied me, id record it anyways, haha!

Students take way too much **** from profs and TAs. I paid a lot of money in University and I always felt like I wasn't being served as a customer, but rather I was serving them. I remember having to dispute assignments and labs just trying to get a few more marks, all for the sake of post graduate entry requirements and bell curves.

**** em', that's what I say. And stay strong to your union!

May 27, 2012
Earth
I've never had a course that allowed the recordings (audio or video) or photographs of lectures without permission. Every syllabus automatically said that.

That being said, every semester I would send out a template email requesting that I record the lectures because I was a slow note taker (actually, I liked listening to them while working out). Even if the prof denied me, id record it anyways, haha!

Students take way too much **** from profs and TAs. I paid a lot of money in University and I always felt like I wasn't being served as a customer, but rather I was serving them. I remember having to dispute assignments and labs just trying to get a few more marks, all for the sake of post graduate entry requirements and bell curves.

Fight the power!

May 27, 2012
Earth
On a serious more important note. Mental illness is not a joke, I see people on twitter that I know that are huge hypocrites putting the hashtag in their tweets.It makes me angry that some people just don't understand...obviously it is for a good cause, but after this day some people will forget about this day and continue on with their lives as if nothing happened.

This tweet by Elliotte Friedman is so true.

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 51m
The best thing about this whole #BellLetsTalk thing is people trash you and your family, then put the hashtag after it.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary

I agree 100%. Between profs that don't speak a lick of English, TAs that couldn't give less of a **** about marking, and a 'whatever' attitude that's prevalent from the top down.

That's not to say I haven't had some great experiences as well, but the bad ones drown them out sometimes.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I agree 100%. Between profs that don't speak a lick of English, TAs that couldn't give less of a **** about marking, and a 'whatever' attitude that's prevalent from the top down.

That's not to say I haven't had some great experiences as well, but the bad ones drown them out sometimes.

It is pretty amazing how students are often treated like a second class in an institution that they pay to keep in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad