OT: **The Off-Topic Thread Part 2**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Very very OT, but I thought I would share anyway.

So today my girlfriend convinced me into buying a pair of what are called "raw denim jeans". Apparently, they are called so because they are never washed during the process they are made so the denim is a little more rigid, the dye stays a little stronger and apparently it 'wears' to your body. Sounded interesting enough to me so I found a pair I liked an purchased them. So here is where I started to think 'what the ****':

So, as I am paying for these things the guy in the store is explaining to me, how since they are raw denim it is best to wait at least 6 months before washing them, and this isn't six months after purchase, this is after six months of wearing them, and apparently you are supposed to wear them several times a week. So beyond the obvious fact that wearing the same pair of jeans every day is odd, I am expected to wear these jeans...for 6 months...without washing them.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever even heard of this, or might own some as I quite obviously wont wear them for 6 months without washing them, but now I am afraid of ruining them as they are actually quite nice jeans.

So now that I am officially a jean-snob-hipster, if there are any other of you on this board I would appreciate your advice. I tried asking Backlund, but he is more of a gym-short kinda guy.

This is kind of funny, because I basically wear the same pair of jeans every day, and only wash them when it's convenient. That said, I am not part of what we might call the "unwashed masses."

I think my brother had a pair, though, and he was extolling their virtues to me (as he is wont to do, and I don't read that much into it because he is an everything-under-the-sun-snob-hipster and generally what he likes one day he thinks is juvenile and beneath him 2 weeks later). I think what I'm saying is that the process described isn't that shocking to me, because I would have no problem at all wearing jeans for 6 months straight without washing them.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Well thats the problem, all sorts of **** is going to get in to the fabric, which is why I couldn't believe it when the guy was explaining it to me. I assumed there must be something I am missing.

I've always bought what I suppose is called 'pre-washed' jeans.

Maybe they're like those socks that have like some silver nitrate stuff in them to kill bacteria. But FYI, they're terrible for the environment because the same stuff that hurts bacteria also hurts good organisms in the ecosystem

The more you know!! :D

May 27, 2012
Earth
Accepted the offer for Business Accounting. 2 year program. The college has an agreement with the local university for me to go there when I am done the two year program and complete the 3 year program in 2 years instead, because of taking the college course.

I'm on my iPod, so what I just said might not make sense. Essentially what I'm saying is instead of 5 years altogether it spill only be 4.

Aug 3, 2010
Accepted the offer for Business Accounting. 2 year program. The college has an agreement with the local university for me to go there when I am done the two year program and complete the 3 year program in 2 years instead, because of taking the college course.

I'm on my iPod, so what I just said might not make sense. Essentially what I'm saying is instead of 5 years altogether it spill only be 4.

I love how everything made sense UNTIL the last sentence and you were worried about your mobile device messing up what you said. :laugh:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Yup, leave it to an accountant to make no sense of simple numbers.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So you're bridging from a college into a university to get a full degree in Business after 4 years, where it would normally take 5. Gotcha. Leave it to the BSc. to make sense of numbers. ;)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In other news, my friend and I got traded to the team that thumped us 11-4 when we didn't have any guys show up. As the worst players on the worst team, we knew this was coming.

I'm pretty sure I know how this goes. All the guys who never showed up for my old team will now show up, and along with the good players they're getting in exchange for us, they're now going to be a powerhouse. Meanwhile, we're going to a team to replace what I assume are their best players with two first-timers who are defensive liabilities. In the end, though, I'm happy, because I'm pretty sure the goalie for our new team can actually stop a puck from time to time.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Good program choice. :nod:

As a future CPA, accounting is a great field.

The pay is decent, and gets substantially better once you get your designation.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
This is kind of funny, because I basically wear the same pair of jeans every day, and only wash them when it's convenient. That said, I am not part of what we might call the "unwashed masses."

I think my brother had a pair, though, and he was extolling their virtues to me (as he is wont to do, and I don't read that much into it because he is an everything-under-the-sun-snob-hipster and generally what he likes one day he thinks is juvenile and beneath him 2 weeks later). I think what I'm saying is that the process described isn't that shocking to me, because I would have no problem at all wearing jeans for 6 months straight without washing them.
I was worried I'd be the only one :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Just played my fifth hockey game. This was our worst turnout yet. Exactly 0 of our strong forwards showed up, and we got hammered 14-5. On the bright side, I had two beautiful first assists and my friend got her first ever goal (and it was pretty nice as goals go). On the not so bright side, I missed a wide open net from about six feet away and then later got robbed by a glove save on a one-timer from the same spot on the opposite side. I'm going to be having nightmares about it until I get my first goal. My two assists were both one-time spinning passes. The first one from behind the net to the slot for a one-timer which impressed the hell out of my teammates and myself, and the second one was me picking up a turnover at the blue line and spinning on my backhand to send my linemate in on a breakaway. Both were pretty nifty and made the drubbing worthwhile. I now have 4 assists in 5 games, and I'm happily getting traded to a team which seems to have no commitment issues and a decent goalie.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Just played my fifth hockey game. This was our worst turnout yet. Exactly 0 of our strong forwards showed up, and we got hammered 14-5. On the bright side, I had two beautiful first assists and my friend got her first ever goal (and it was pretty nice as goals go). On the not so bright side, I missed a wide open net from about six feet away and then later got robbed by a glove save on a one-timer from the same spot on the opposite side. I'm going to be having nightmares about it until I get my first goal. My two assists were both one-time spinning passes. The first one from behind the net to the slot for a one-timer which impressed the hell out of my teammates and myself, and the second one was me picking up a turnover at the blue line and spinning on my backhand to send my linemate in on a breakaway. Both were pretty nifty and made the drubbing worthwhile. I now have 4 assists in 5 games, and I'm happily getting traded to a team which seems to have no commitment issues and a decent goalie.

Sounds like you're a regular whirling dervish out there ;)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Is he really that bad or is it a combined defensive breakdown though?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is he really that bad or is it a combined defensive breakdown though?

Who, our goalie? He's just abysmal. Some goalies occasionally let in a softy. Our goalie occasionally saved them. There is no shot where you can assume he's going to make the save. Frankly, whenever the puck rolls toward him, there's a chance that he will somehow push it into his own net.

But the worst and most frustrating part is the laziness he displays when we're hemmed in our own zone. I mean, we'll have a line stuck in our own end for two minutes, completely ****ing exhausted, and mercifully the puck will squirt to him harmlessly so he can freeze it. 9 times out of 10, he'll just stay on his feet and poke at it with his paddle, often giving it right back to the opposition. It's like going down on his knees is a last resort with him.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Who, our goalie? He's just abysmal. Some goalies occasionally let in a softy. Our goalie occasionally saved them. There is no shot where you can assume he's going to make the save. Frankly, whenever the puck rolls toward him, there's a chance that he will somehow push it into his own net.

But the worst and most frustrating part is the laziness he displays when we're hemmed in our own zone. I mean, we'll have a line stuck in our own end for two minutes, completely ****ing exhausted, and mercifully the puck will squirt to him harmlessly so he can freeze it. 9 times out of 10, he'll just stay on his feet and poke at it with his paddle, often giving it right back to the opposition. It's like going down on his knees is a last resort with him.

Gotta hate goalies who are like that.

I have my last game tomorrow against one of the best teams in our divisions. The games have usually been really physical so hopefully we don't lose too bad. This season has been an atrocity; we've only won three games.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

The Lethargic Sloths just signed this guy to be our starting goalie. We like what he has to offer in terms of character. His laziness needs some work, as he's extending himself a little too far, so he'll be working with our training staff in order to get into game shape, or a lack thereof.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Pretty sure he lost a bet (i.e. being the first call-up for Czech Olympic roster.)

I think you can see Paul Byron in the tunnel at the very end of the video too, also in gear. I think maybe they just wanted to shortest guys on the team to go for maximum comedic effect. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad