Speculation: The Matthew Tkachuk Megathread (Is he an $11 million player?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This will probably come across as rubbing salt in the wound, but that's not my intent. No fanbase should have a great season turn into a potential implosion like this.

So Wings fan coming in peace.

Let's say for the sake of argument that:
1) A sign and trade happens.
2) All travel restrictions are lifted tomorrow.

What might Calgary want to balance the following (knowing Tkachuk is leaving, which lowers their leverage):

To Detroit: Tkachuk (extended).

To Calgary: Bertuzzi (extended), Berggren, and a 2023 first rounder (top 3 protected).

Reactions: avssuc

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This will probably come across as rubbing salt in the wound, but that's not my intent. No fanbase should have a great season turn into a potential implosion like this.

What might Calgary want to balance the following (knowing Tkachuk is leaving, which lowers their leverage):

To Calgary: Bertuzzi (extended), Berggren, and a 2023 first rounder (top 3 protected).
Flames would want Edvisson to start our rebuild. If I’m GM I go for one good young piece.

Bertuzzi wouldn’t be able to play in Canada would he?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Flames would want Edvisson to start our rebuild. If I’m GM I go for one good young piece.

Bertuzzi wouldn’t be able to play in Canada would he?
I was assuming travel restrictions disappeared. Vrana might be an alternative.

And I can't blame you for wanting Edvinsson. But if push comes to shove, as the Wings I pass and let Tkachuk go elsewhere. Seider and Edvinsson will be twin terrors in Detroit for a very long time.

Reactions: avssuc

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast

Beat me to it, and yea, that's where I'd start.

Since the Flames were the party to chose arbitration, it seems to me that they've lost a bit of leverage. They could hold out for a 'cornerstone piece', but does that risk the 2nd Johnny Hockey type situation in 2 years? Rock and a hard place for sure.

Every GM in the NHL sees the writing on the wall, but not all of them have the futures to get it done, and of those that do, a fraction have the cap space. Just seems like a real tough sell unless the Flames wait for the trade deadline... and risk trading a Tkachuk that didn't play next to Gaudreau all season, that may not have the same production/appeal.

What team do you think has the best situation to make this happen (cap, futures, location, etc)?

Last edited:

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Bruins here coming in peace - reading Tkachuk to STL all but done but for who? We would have entertained a Pasta trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Bruins here coming in peace - reading Tkachuk to STL all but done but for who? We would have entertained a Pasta trade.
I do not see how a Tkachuk deal gets completed to stl. All of their $3 mill plus cap hit players have some form of ntc. I doubt those guys want to waive to go to Calgary if the return is futures based aside from them. ROR is the only guy without trade protection but with a year left I don’t see him going the other way.

Every contender has spent their cap right now. Only cap left is to get their rfas done. Harder to do a deal now than it was just after the draft.

NJ probably the best option who have cap room. To make a deal.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Is it true Pasta wants out of Boston? I'd do the deal straight up. I think Pasta is at the very top of the league. Highly doubt this happens though.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Is it true Pasta wants out of Boston? I'd do the deal straight up. I think Pasta is at the very top of the league. Highly doubt this happens though.
Pasta is a pending ufa in 2023 as well. So, can Calgary sell him on extending with them? Otherwise they are in the same position as they are with Matt.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Pasta is a pending ufa in 2023 as well. So, can Calgary sell him on extending with them? Otherwise they are in the same position as they are with Matt.
Oh they can sell him on it. Calgary has always been known as Prague-West

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I think the Flames would want more higher end pieces (not saying Berggren isn't high end). We'd probably want to be chatting pieces like Edvinsson, Cossa etc. as well. Would conversation on some of those guys be more open to be listened to if we added more assets than Tkachuk on the table?

IMO, could be throwing more pieces onto the pile to make a bigger trade. Valimaki and Rasmussen are good buddies. Maybe bringing them together help their development. If you want to upgrade your D corps/grab a good mentor, then players like Tanev/Hanifin aren't off the table. Same with Goaltending if you want Markstrom or want to swap Ned with Vladar etc. Or if Larkin needs more top C support, Lindholm. We have plenty of pieces that might help to round out a roster.

Most of us Flames fans don't think a rebuild will happen, but significant overhauls to our core consistent with an identity shift/moving players that want to go back to the USA are still very much possible in our opinion. That at least to us would be a victory in terms of a speed rebuild or major retool.

That being said, I also understand the risk of attempting to use prospects and futures to speed up a rebuild. I'm just curious about whether there's a bigger deal to be had.

I completely understand why most fans are thinking to keep it simple and Occam's razor speculate a trade for Tkachuk singular. But many of those fans if not looking at Tkachuk are also interested in many other parts of our roster... It might make sense to do 2-3 bigger deals rather than half a dozen high value deals?

I am assuming it's probably loosely based on the idea/rumors that Pasta might want out if Bergeron retires and Boston goes rebuild?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I am assuming it's probably loosely based on the idea/rumors that Pasta might want out if Bergeron retires and Boston goes rebuild?
I read rumor that he was unhappy with the Broonz letting Krejci and Krug, his two besties, walk. but Krejci is apparently coming back now

Reactions: Fig

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hopefully you guys get a good haul for Tkachuk. Don't get me wrong, your team is our bitter rival, but at the end of the day Canadian teams almost always get the short end of the stick when it comes to crap like this and I'd rather have a competitive BOA than not.

Reactions: Janks

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon

Gotta be no protection my dawg. I’m not familiar with Detroit prospects, but y’all gonna have to pay more

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
Why is all this happening? Some unrest in the locker room? Americans rather playing in the States? Kind of a bombshell losing two in one off-season, of that caliber

Reactions: Kapteeni

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The prospect of Tkachuk as a Flame past 28 y/o wasn't very exciting to me. At least he gave the team a head's up well in advance and it's now very obvious he was going to stay only if Gaudreau did.

This offseason sucks but I was already bracing myself for it at the start of last season so I'm not that devastated.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Why is all this happening? Some unrest in the locker room? Americans rather playing in the States? Kind of a bombshell losing two in one off-season, of that caliber

They're two different people haha, theres not one reason.

Johnny wanted to play closer to home and Matthew doesn't want to pay taxes.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Will say this again, but I was always a proponent of moving Tkachuk regardless of the Gaudreau outcome. Would've moved him for Eichel, but oh well...

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
As a Sens fan that watched this kind of tear down happen with Karlsson/Stone, it's tough. But worst thing to do is try to hang onto hope and be mediocre for years. Your prospect pool is grim.

Blow it the F up and hope to get lucky with draft lottery

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Not that complicated. Gaudreau wanted to be closer to home and now the rest of the players are seeking to flee a sinking ship.

Why bother re-signing longterm with a franchise that just lost it's best player and has no realistic chance at contending?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
As a Sens fan that watched this kind of tear down happen with Karlsson/Stone, it's tough. But worst thing to do is try to hang onto hope and be mediocre for years. Your prospect pool is grim.

Blow it the F up and hope to get lucky with draft lottery
This isn't a tear down. This is the two stars wanting out for their own reasons. The Flames will never tear it down a la Arizona, Chicago, Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad