Speculation: The Matthew Tkachuk Megathread (Is he an $11 million player?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And with the 104 pts he got this year he’s going to want it.

Now it might sound hypocritical to criticize tkachuk for his playoff performances and give Gaudreau a pass, but I think it’s a little different. One player is a 5’6 scoring forward who had bad puck luck in a few playoff series, while the other is a 6’3 “power forward” is supposedly build for this type of season.

Nope! Was a ghost in 2017, which can sort of be giving a pass given be was 18. Was a ghost outside of game 1 in 2019, and again okay learning experiences. But then 2020 was another houdini act, and now in 2022 has been ineffective for the second half of this series. At least with Gaudreau we can all agree that he was very good in 2015 and 2022, and decent in 2020 (and again, 5’6).

I’m sick of the f***ing excuses. Every f***ing year he talks a big game, and then makes a clown out of himself. Gets himself hurt (presumably) early in the series trying to be rocky out there, and has done nothing after. Talks all about being business, and then allows klingberg to make him his bitch.

Even if we win game 7, it will be in-spite of tkachuk. After the drama last season around muzzin too, I think I’m ready for him to move on. This is not an 11m dollar player.

Last edited:

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
He's the biggest disappointment this post-season... It's almost like he's not even out there. Bone headed antics early on, ghost after, one nifty between the legs attempt... And a ton of whiffed shots and opportunities.

If he's injured? No sympathy for him. He brought it on himself.

You don't win when it matters with him. He's a pretender.

I'm really getting sick of looking at his mouth guard chewing mug.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
He's the biggest disappointment this post-season... It's almost like he's not even out there. Bone headed antics early on, ghost after, one nifty between the legs attempt... And a ton of whiffed shots and opportunities.

If he's injured? No sympathy for him. He brought it on himself.

You don't win when it matters with him. He's a pretender.

I'm really getting sick of looking at his mouth guard chewing mug.
Agreed. Guy tried to be a punk (again) and paid the price.

• Haha
Reactions: gordonhught

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
If you could re-sign Gaudreau then trading him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. I think he must be injured but I'm pretty sure the injury is the direct result of his stupid, pointless fights in the first 3 games.

Pros

1. Cap problems resolved.
2. A team would pay his weight in gold if he was willing to extend there. I've seen Devils fans suggest a package of 2nd overall +.
3. Would allow us to become a faster team.
4. This is definitely his peak year in terms of value.

Cons
1. You're still losing a first line winger who's only 24. Getting worse immediately.
2. If we lose this series I think our chances of re-signing Johnny go way down and trading Tkachuk could add to that.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Best player in game 1, and garbage after. Story of his playoff history.

He definitely broke his hand in game 3.
The implication of this is scary. Either tkachuk didn’t break his hand and he played so poorly to made us all think he did, or he did break his hand and we couldn’t find another option to fill in top 6 minutes even after beefing up at the deadline.

Our deadline acquisitions have 2 pts combined btw in the playoffs.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
8-9M player at most. He's not mentally mature enough for the playoffs and it shows. In time he could grow out of his current issues but then his skating is still a ticking time bomb.

Sign Gaudreau at whatever cost. Either sign Tkachuk to a short term deal - 3-4 years at ~8.5 to 9M - or trade him for a rich collection of assets. Or maybe a number one defenseman if they can swing it.

But it would be prototypical Flames to drive out the franchise player in Gaudreau to keep Tkachuk around though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Invisible all series. 0 goals through 6 games, more importantly he hasn't created much of anything. He is young enough that this could be a great learning experience and he comes back better next playoffs but this playoff series will go down as one the biggest no shows of all time for me.

If this is how the year ends trading Tkachuk and using that cap space on Mangiapane and Gaudreau could help solve alot of our problems but that does mean trading our youngest of our players needing a contract. Man I just miss playoff Bennett

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
He's never been one or will ever become one. Even with his point total there were nights he played bad and still picked up a couple points because of Gaudreau. He's a great complimentary player but trying to build a team around him will cause problems. This isn't a player you give that type of contract to. If he demands that much then he needs to be traded.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn't want anyone on my team making 10+ mill, much rather have quality depth and players that show up during playoffs.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Gaudreau isn’t one either (pretty close though). 7 * 9M is defs fair
It’s irrelevant. The Flames is a lottery team if they lose him for nothing

As seen in the playoffs so far, Johnny can play but he needs help. Everybody does. Crosby had Malkin, Gretz had Messier, Mario had Jagr. Even McDavid had Drai, although he hasn’t won shit yet

Right now his sidekick is a no show. Also an idiot that thinks playoffs means roughing up instead of playing.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
Possible Tkachuk learns from this year but as of right now he is the biggest reason for us being eliminated if we are tonight
Yeah. I think he's been better in the last few tha he was earlier in the series but he needs to make an impact on the scoresheet at this point.

In Game 5 he had the ability to put us up 1-0 early when Johnny sprung him on a breakaway and he didn't. Same thing in game 6 when he got to the rebound off of the chance where Johnny toe-dragged and got a shot off, Tkachuk hit nothing but iron. I think scoring 1st in game 6 could have won that game.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Took the entire series but he showed up when it mattered most at least. Yeah he scored and had an assist, but he looked like his dominant self in the o-zone for most of the games, hopefully he just sticks to hockey against the Oilers, I think all the rough stuff in the first three games really held his game back, he didn't seem focused.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He had a good game last night, better late than never. That said, he cannot just dissapear for several games at a time. He is a better player than that, needs to figure it out.
There’s no excuses. But it’s pretty common that younger guys take several years to figure it out. Johnny has only advanced 2 playoff series in his life, and he’s elite of a player as you can get. The Leafs are now 5 years with a first round loss. Chucky deserves the criticism, but he was a winner of the Memorial Cup. Johnny won in the NCAA, let’s hope we’re seeing these guys turn a corner.

Reactions: Janks

HitterD

Apr 25, 2022
Calgary
I can see this Oilers series being his coming out party as far as playoff are concerned. Edmonton defense will not be as structured as Dallas, he should have a bit more room near the net and the corners.

He just needs to stay focused on his strengths and not get dragged into the gutters with Kassian etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille