Speculation: The Matthew Tkachuk Megathread (Is he an $11 million player?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
How the hell did Treliving let a situation where he can walk to UFA at 25 happen? Like obviously if he accepts his QO he'll be moved in the following season but what in the hell was the thought process there?

"He took less so we could keep Frolik"

I liked Frolik and that's still dumb as shit. You don't handicap yourself by setting up your star players to walk young in order to keep secondary pieces. We probably would have even gotten more back for him if we were forced to trade him that summer with a little retention. He fell off a cliff that season.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
How the hell did Treliving let a situation where he can walk to UFA at 25 happen? Like obviously if he accepts his QO he'll be moved in the following season but what in the hell was the thought process there?

"He took less so we could keep Frolik"

I liked Frolik and that's still dumb as shit. You don't handicap yourself by setting up your star players to walk young in order to keep secondary pieces. We probably would have even gotten more back for him if we were forced to trade him that summer with a little retention. He fell off a cliff that season.
Treliving is terrible at managing RFA players. See Mangi, Tkachuk, walking JG to UFA.

Reactions: Dack

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Treliving is terrible at managing RFA players. See Mangi, Tkachuk, walking JG to UFA.
Everyone* loved their RFA contracts back then. Wizard Tre signed his RFA to team friendly contracts, kept the AAV low.

Now Tre's chickens are coming home to roost

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Tkachuk just had a 100-point season, but isn't really that kind of player. Especially if Gaudreau leaves, taking the qualifying offer at this point could cost him a lot of money. He likely never has a better chance than this summer to sign a superstar long term deal.

I don't think he will take the QO for that reason. I think he'll press for a long term commitment.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Everyone* loved their RFA contracts back then. Wizard Tre signed his RFA to team friendly contracts, kept the AAV low.

Now Tre's chickens are coming home to roost
Pretty much. At the end of the day this is a BUSINESS, and I don't blame the players one bit for leveraging their situation.
Tkachuk just had a 100-point season, but isn't really that kind of player. Especially if Gaudreau leaves, taking the qualifying offer at this point could cost him a lot of money. He likely never has a better chance than this summer to sign a superstar long term deal.

I don't think he will take the QO for that reason. I think he'll press for a long term commitment.
We'll find out tomorrow. We do not know his intentions after all. He might want to go to a different market, or he might want to see what other markets have to offer too.

Even if he drops back to 75-80 pts, he'll get a fortune on the open market next season. 25 year old 1st line power forward? Holy christ the value that player will have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Tkachuk's negotiations probably started with Treliving going back and forth with his camp about a 2-way deal

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Even if he drops back to 75-80 pts, he'll get a fortune on the open market next season. 25 year old 1st line power forward? Holy christ the value that player will have.
Sure, a first-line player. But there is a difference in value between a first-line player and a 100-point player. If he drops his value even by $1.5M, then over 7 years he's costing himself over $10M.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sure, a first-line player. But there is a difference in value between a first-line player and a 100-point player. If he drops his value even by $1.5M, then over 7 years he's costing himself over $10M.
I could easily see him getting 10m+ on the open market as a PPG player. If the AAV is similar, Tkachuk might be willing to lose the extra year to choose his destination.

The structure of his last contract makes it a possibility. Either way, Tkachuk has the team by the balls.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I could easily see him getting 10m+ on the open market as a PPG player. If the AAV is similar, Tkachuk might be willing to lose the extra year to choose his destination.

The structure of his last contract makes it a possibility. Either way, Tkachuk has the team by the balls.
Any time a player pops 100 points in a contract year he's gonna have the team by the balls, but when was the last time someone like Tkachuk got paid that kind of money by a GM past adolescence?

Panarin got $10M as a UFA when he was signed to be the top offensive player on the Rangers. There is no track record to suggest that Tkachuk can be that. If I'm him I'm looking to cash out on the raw statistics from this past season.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Any time a player pops 100 points in a contract year he's gonna have the team by the balls, but when was the last time someone like Tkachuk got paid that kind of money by a GM past adolescence?

Panarin got $10M as a UFA when he was signed to be the top offensive player on the Rangers. There is no track record to suggest that Tkachuk can be that. If I'm him I'm looking to cash out on the raw statistics from this past season.

Panarin's AAV is 11.6M

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Tkachuk desire to stay in Calgary probably hinges a lot on what Gaudreau chooses to do

I forget which interview it was, but he pretty much said exactly this. It was easy to decipher what he meant when answering whether he was going to sign a extension and it was basically what you said. If Gaudreau get's re-signed Tkachuk wants to stay long term, if Gaudreau walks Tkachuk basically knows the team will go to shit so he wants out (which is kind of concerning from a character point of view since you don't think you can be the guy to lead a team; though it shows he is a smart guy and knows how valuable Johnny is).

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
What a disaster.

On the one hand, it hurts to see this team gutted over the decisions of a single player and the domino effect it will cause.........

.......on the other, this team was going nowhere.

My biggest issue right now is that Tre is not the guy for a rebuild. Not sure who that right guy is, but I know he isn't.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
This team had a great year and didn't make it past the second round , hardly a team thats is going nowhere , hike up your panties replace Johnny Hockey and get after it , Edmonton got hot then fell off the cliff , hardly a reason to blow up the team .

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
If he’s not willing to sign for a reasonable contract, or is beating around the bush like Johnny did, ship him now before his stats come back to earth without Johnny.

I’d be very weary about signing him to a contract like they offered Johnny. He’s one lower body injury away from being Corey Perry (the corpse version) or James Neal 2.0

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
This team had a great year and didn't make it past the second round , hardly a team thats is going nowhere , hike up your panties replace Johnny Hockey and get after it , Edmonton got hot then fell off the cliff , hardly a reason to blow up the team .
Oh yes let me go down to the 110+ point player store and pick up a new Gaudreau.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00