Speculation: The Matthew Tkachuk Megathread (Is he an $11 million player?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I am sorry for you guys from what has been happening to your franchise the past few months. Is it fair to say that Calgary (and most canadian hockey teams) should prioritize drafting canadian or european players moving forward to avoid on future situations like Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Adam Fox?

• Haha
Reactions: gordonhught

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I am sorry for you guys from what has been happening to your franchise the past few months. Is it fair to say that Calgary (and most canadian hockey teams) should prioritize drafting canadian or european players moving forward to avoid on future situations like Tkachuk, Gaudreau and Adam Fox?
Again, every single one of these players were rumored to want to be somewhere else before they even put pen to paper with Calgary.

Fox to the Rangers was so well known it was speculated to be one of the reasons why he dropped as said on his literal draft day.

Gaudreau's mom is on record saying she wanted him to finish his degree and become a UFA before he even signed his ELC.

And Tkachuk & St. Louis have always been a thing

So no, they should keep drafting Americans when appropriate. But maybe stay away from the ones that have their hearts set on a particular place. Or draft them anyway but trade them to maximize asset value like Fox.

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
when did this happen??
The day the organization told him he is going for salary arbitration eventhough, he did not file for arbitration. He likely felt the organization would not feel comfortable with any contract number he would throw their way. So, leaving he could get what he wants.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
The day the organization told him he is going for salary arbitration eventhough, he did not file for arbitration. He likely felt the organization would not feel comfortable with any contract number he would throw their way. So, leaving he could get what he wants.
Actually no, he informed the Flames last week that he would not sign long term. Arbitration was to prevent him from possibly holding out for a trade in the event one isnt completed soon.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
So if Calgary ownership actually goes full rebuild here, does that mean you'd just want picks and prospects for Tkachuk? Or is a mix of (younger) roster players and assets for the future also possible?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
So if Calgary ownership actually goes full rebuild here, does that mean you'd just want picks and prospects for Tkachuk? Or is a mix of (younger) roster players and assets for the future also possible?
They will never go full rebuild.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Once the Gaudreau news broke, this was the best thing that could’ve happened.

Latching onto the 3rd best player on that top line as some sort of saviour would have been awful

radioactivenuts

Jan 9, 2020
FFS, getting up early morning to watch most of the games, just to basically loose both franchise players really hurts.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
except Calgary doesnt have any leverage. He wants out and everyone knows it. We've seen this story play out before with better players and the team trading the better player never gets the value that they think they will.

• Haha
Reactions: gordonhught

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
except Calgary doesnt have any leverage. He wants out and everyone knows it. We've seen this story play out before with better players and the team trading the better player never gets the value that they think they will.
I hope Cgy goes full futures, the next draft is super deep with Canadian talent.

• Love
Reactions: cheechoo

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
except Calgary doesnt have any leverage.
Except they do. Calgary's leverage comes from the simple fact that quite a few teams around this league would love to add Tkachuk but only one of them can.

He wants out and everyone knows it. We've seen this story play out before with better players and the team trading the better player never gets the value that they think they will.

Do you not remember the Seth Jones trade from last year? DeBrincat from a couple of weeks ago? The Eichel trade?

Honestly this is some sad sack nonsense. No, the Flames aren't gonna get the Lindros package in return but something along the lines of what Eichel and Jones got is more than a reasonable expectation if Tkachuk signs a longterm deal with whatever team he goes to.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Actually no, he informed the Flames last week that he would not sign long term. Arbitration was to prevent him from possibly holding out for a trade in the event one isnt completed soon.
it was also to prevent an offer sheet where the compensation is below market. Specifically a 1 yr x 8.4M contract offer which should be insta matched but a matched offersheet means the player can't be traded for 1 yr

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
A 24 year old 100 point player that can sign a 8 max length deal with his new team and not be a burden for any of it is worth a metric shit ton
But he’s limited his destinations and we’re on a timer before the arbitration date.

It’s not that simple to say “well 100 pts, kings ransom time.” I happen to agree that the return for this caliber of player will be underwhelming due to circumstances

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Except they do. Calgary's leverage comes from the simple fact that quite a few teams around this league would love to add Tkachuk but only one of them can.

Do you not remember the Seth Jones trade from last year? DeBrincat from a couple of weeks ago? The Eichel trade?

Honestly this is some sad sack nonsense. No, the Flames aren't gonna get the Lindros package in return but something along the lines of what Eichel and Jones got is more than a reasonable expectation if Tkachuk signs a longterm deal with whatever team he goes to.
a little off with DeBrincat..I am not sure that Hawk fans were totally happy with a high 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for their 40 goal scorer even though he is due $9 M this year

Using Jones as a basis So that would make our trade be. If its the Devils (which I believe is the best team to trade with if Tkachuk agree with it being a location.)
Tkachuk and Coronato (i don;t want to give up the 2023 1st and I am not convinced Coronato wants to sign in Calgary) for Nolan Foote/Bahl, an unprotected 1st, a lottery protected 1st and a 2nd

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
What is the speculation that Coronato won’t sign? Simply because he’s American?

Like, how often do you see high first round picks go the full 4 years in college just to go UFA? Like that’s 3 more years, gotta think Coronato is more concerned with cracking an NHL roster and starting to make money as soon as next offseason

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
a little off with DeBrincat..I am not sure that Hawk fans were totally happy with a high 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick for their 40 goal scorer even though he is due $9 M this year

Using Jones as a basis So that would make our trade be. If its the Devils (which I believe is the best team to trade with if Tkachuk agree with it being a location.)
Tkachuk and Coronato (i don;t want to give up the 2023 1st and I am not convinced Coronato wants to sign in Calgary) for Nolan Foote/Bahl, an unprotected 1st, a lottery protected 1st and a 2nd
Don't know if Coronato will sign with Calgary but he's worth more than the 32nd over all.

Foote/Bahl are B/C level prospects and not at all the same caliber as what Boqvist was considered last year. Mercer/Holtz are better fits here.

Jones was also coming off some terrible seasons while Tkachuk might just have had his career year.

But a strict comparison doesn't work anyway because Jersey may need to move salary. It's more about the overall value of the package,

Also a good chance that the Flames, given the insipid ownership group, target Bratt instead of futures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad