Speculation: The Matthew Tkachuk Megathread (Is he an $11 million player?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Despite playing like ass much of the series, he was still our 2nd leading scorer with 6pts in 7 games. Also tied up game 7 with a great snipe. I don't think he'll command an 11 AAV but wouldn't mind a similar deal to Rantanen's.

He is clearly a very talented player, you don't let young talent walk away in this league.
I'm going need to see him show up for more than 1 game in the playoffs before I consider a deal north of 9 mil. He was 2nd in points because he plays with Gaudreau who was the best skater on either team, Tkachuk was detrimental for much of the series.

Reactions: FMichael

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'm going need to see him show up for more than 1 game in the playoffs before I consider a deal north of 9 mil. He was 2nd in points because he plays with Gaudreau who was the best skater on either team, Tkachuk was detrimental for much of the series.

Eh, games 1 and 2 I didn't think he was all that bad. Just overrevved. 3-6 though yes he was not good. He scored 40G and hit 100pts, he's getting a deal north of 9 million whether we want to consider it or not.

He doesn't seem to get much credit for it but he was also a defensive beast much of the year. I'd still be wary about committing the full 8 years because he skates like a spastic peewee player but in the near future the cap should be loosening up pretty significantly.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Eh, games 1 and 2 I didn't think he was all that bad. Just overrevved. 3-6 though yes he was not good. He scored 40G and hit 100pts, he's getting a deal north of 9 million whether we want to consider it or not.

He doesn't seem to get much credit for it but he was also a defensive beast much of the year. I'd still be wary about committing the full 8 years because he skates like a spastic peewee player but in the near future the cap should be loosening up pretty significantly.
I said all year the regular season doesn't matter everything about this team is about the playoffs. He stood offside in game 2 trash talking away the best scoring chance we had all game, he was not good he was in the box or off his game until game 7. He had a great regular season but man time to put up or shut up. Someone will pay him based on his regular season but we need to be more concerned with getting playoff performers.

I like Tkachuk and I'd like to get him signed long term but I wouldn't commit the kinda money he wants if he can't atleast step up like Gaudreau

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Despite playing like ass much of the series, he was still our 2nd leading scorer with 6pts in 7 games. Also tied up game 7 with a great snipe. I don't think he'll command an 11 AAV but wouldn't mind a similar deal to Rantanen's.

He is clearly a very talented player, you don't let young talent walk away in this league.
I don’t think he takes rantanen money though, and that’s the problem. Mitch got 10.9m for 94 pts which was 11th in the nhl. Tkachuk had 104 pts this season and was 7th in league scoring. Even with the “dubas factor” and taxes, I can’t see how he takes less than that.

People complain about Toronto’s cap issues, but imagine having 22m dollars tied into 2 natural LWers? I don’t think it works.

Reactions: yakcity1064

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
You damn well know they'll demand (meaning it's the entire Tkachuk family here) $12 million aav for 8 seasons...

And yes - $9 million seems more than fair.

Reactions: yakcity1064

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Hope he signs between 9-10m but I know he will go for as much as possible after his comments on Brady's contract
getting him cheap as possible is be key for my dynasty league so I hope CGY can manage to get him to a number thats works for both sides.
I hope he isn't overly greedy in this situation

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
I definitely got my feathers ruffled against Tkachuk. He can be so frustrating.

For the record, however, I'm obviously thrilled he's playing to his ability. Hope it continues.

Make me eat crow, Matthew, go get 'em!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Personally for me, 10 at the most. 9 is the most ideal... 11? that's too much - league top goal and point scorer area.. consistently.
To me, he has not lead the team far enough into Playoff success or proven game--winning scoring enough, yet to warrant $10++ million.
He is a leader, with his unique "bug-the-opponent-relentlessly" with his mouth, while making plays and pumping ip his teammates.
I would liken giving M Tk $11 million per now to the leafs paying JohnT $11+. Isvthere full value there? Not really, granted JT has earned progressively with a much more built career.
I would be thrilked if Flames locked M Tk up forblong term at $9.5+ per. Hopefully only $9 or less if he only 1, 2 or 3years.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
He's a key cog going forward regardless. I doubt this management drags any of its top dollar players into regular seasons to give them every cent. It's what we do.

Despite contrary opinion, I still see Matthew (outside of a few piss poor games) being the most confident play controller and passer after Johnny Hockey on our PP and any time we're in the offensive zone or breaking in. And barely behind Gaudreau at that. Sees the ice extremely well, doesn't mind controlling the puck with a defender in close to him (and usually wins those close encounters), always seems to see the smart pass and usually makes it crisply and accurately, uses his body extremely well as a power forward would. Chucky is elite.

10.5 over 6-8 years.

I'd do this for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The Senators don’t want Brady to keep cheering for the Flames. That must be f***ing annoying.

Stutzle or Chabot for Matthew would solve the problem. Get it done

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Possible Tkachuk deals the Flames should look at.

Kyrou+ or Thomas+ For Tkachuk

2nd overall and Mercer for Tkachuk+

Sanderson+ or Stutzle for Tkachuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad