TV: The Grand Tour

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Talk about starting off with a bang.

Haven't been this excited about one of their 'showdowns' since they ran the McLaren f1 and the Veyron.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Rumors of a fight over The Stig (as in the actual driver not the name which was sold when bbc acquired everything from Clarkson a few years back).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Rumors of a fight over The Stig (as in the actual driver not the name which was sold when bbc acquired everything from Clarkson a few years back).

Amazon's pockets are deeper than the BBC's. I don't consider that much of a fight, if it's true.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Stig belongs to BBC-the driver has changed 4 times.

When the three stooges were doing the live show this time around--there was no sign of The Stig. They could not use anything owned by the BBC--that included the Stig

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I think too much is made of the Stig, personally. Just have a real person driving the cars. So long as the person is a really excellent driver I don't think anyone is going to care too much if the Stig presentation goes away altogether.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
StaalWars;105953321[B said:
]I think too much is made of the Stig[/B], personally. Just have a real person driving the cars. So long as the person is a really excellent driver I don't think anyone is going to care too much if the Stig presentation goes away altogether.

That's blasphemy! There have been some hilarious moments with him. They can get any number of professional drivers, the Stig gimmick was good. They will find a way to incorporate that theme.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Has there been any indication as to what type of format the show will be? Ie, mostly specials shot on location. Or will they attempt to revive their chat show dynamic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Has there been any indication as to what type of format the show will be? Ie, mostly specials shot on location. Or will they attempt to revive their chat show dynamic.

It will be based out of the UK, at least, according to Clarkson.

They have total freedom so I imagine we will see celebrity bits but not every show.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
LUGisW0.jpg

(article talking about the new Prime show)

Thy are missing the one:1.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Some updates.

According to the report, Amazon will spend a total of £160 million ($246 million) on 36 episodes over three years, which will give the show a budget ten times as large per episode as it enjoyed on the BBC.

http://fortune.com/2015/08/28/top-gear-jeremy-clarkson-amazon/

And regarding the Top Gear makeover on the BBC.

Top Gear: BBC Two boss admits she is 'terrified' about show's shake-up under Chris Evans

BBC Two controller Kim Shillinglaw says Evans is "incredibly spontaneous" and viewers would never know what would happen next

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/bbc...d-about-shows-shake-up-under-Chris-Evans.html

-------------

I don't really care about what the BBC is doing. I may check out the new Top Gear out of curiousity but whatever I watch will be a new series and not a Top Gear makeover or replacement as far as I am concerned. There is only one Top Gear and it no longer resides at the BBC.

As for the top article - the guys certainly have a lot more money to play around with now. However, I don't think the old series ever suffered due to lack of financing. It was always well produced but the best part was the interaction between the three hosts. It remains to be seen if all that extra money will make much of a difference.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
As an unabashed Amazon fan, I'm beyond ecstatic that they're doing this. Should be interesting to see if they can or will still reel in the high profile celebrities they had on Top Gear.

I have no idea what they're going to do with that budget. The old Top Gear was already over the top. Maybe more foreign specials? Those episodes are still my favorite.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
As an unabashed Amazon fan, I'm beyond ecstatic that they're doing this. Should be interesting to see if they can or will still reel in the high profile celebrities they had on Top Gear.

I have no idea what they're going to do with that budget. The old Top Gear was already over the top. Maybe more foreign specials? Those episodes are still my favorite.

Drones. Lots and lots of drones and crashes.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-34167864

Netflix says the Top Gear trio wasn't worth the money they got. What do you think?

This is two of my favorite brands collaborating in Amazon and the Top Gear trio. That being said, Amazon is known for jumping head over heels into new IP, new ideas, new tech without much regard for short-term economic returns. This is another example of Amazon trying to "grow the brand." They don't care how much it costs so long as this sways some people towards Amazon instead of Netflix.

All that being said, is this something they might regret? We're all Top Gear fans here but are these three really worth that kind of dough?

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Netflix VIA BBC news saying they're not worth the money? Colour me shocked hah.

Seriously though, don't really care about economics. Top gear is back in some capacity. That's all I need to know. Only one of 3 actually successful car shows ever made. Other two being 5th gear and Bestmotoring. I'll let them worry about being profitable.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One of the most watched shows in the world isn't worth the money. Okay. You lost the bidding war, same as Apple.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

Netflix says the Top Gear trio wasn't worth the money they got. What do you think?

This is two of my favorite brands collaborating in Amazon and the Top Gear trio. That being said, Amazon is known for jumping head over heels into new IP, new ideas, new tech without much regard for short-term economic returns. This is another example of Amazon trying to "grow the brand." They don't care how much it costs so long as this sways some people towards Amazon instead of Netflix.

All that being said, is this something they might regret? We're all Top Gear fans here but are these three really worth that kind of dough?

I don't care; It's not my money. As long as Top Gear is back and it's as good as it was, or better, then I've got no issue with it. A bigger budget can't hurt right?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

I guess there always is a chance of failing. But the trio is currently so popular, that they will generate tons of money no matter what. Worst case scenario, they end up mildly on the negative side with short term economics, but I am willing to bet that the overall publicity that trio brings is more than enough to close the (possible) monetary negative.

Netflix is just mad at losing the bidding war if you ask me.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
They paid $260M for them, correct?

TG had an estimated 350,000,000 audience.

If 75% of their audience paid $1 (not a typo), they would profit ($2.5M, btw).

Prime memberships cost $100/yr but this is a 3yr run of episodes so $300/viewer to see all as they air.

So $260,000,000 / 300 = 866,667 new subscribers at $300.

866,667 / 350,000,000 = 0.2% of estimated audience

That's not counting selling (re)broadcast rights or advertisements.

$260M may sound like a huge number but break it down and it should be attainable.

I agree with the above "Netflix is just mad at losing the bidding war"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad