TV: The Grand Tour

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Prime TV doesn't exist in Canada, so about 50% of this forum has no way to legally watch this show. That's why we all wanted Netflix.

Use a VPN

I'm sure they will sell the rights to territories where Prime isn't available.

edit:

Rogers Communications Inc. and Shaw Communications Inc. announced on Thursday that the two companies have signed a deal to stream Amazon.com Inc.’s original TV content via their jointly-owned streaming platform, Shomi.

http://business.financialpost.com/f...stream-original-amazon-video-content-on-shomi

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Use a VPN

I'm sure they will sell the rights to territories where Prime isn't available.

edit:

http://business.financialpost.com/f...stream-original-amazon-video-content-on-shomi

VPN is where the "legally" part fit in. Obviously it's easy to do and the government doesn't really care, just technically.

And I wasn't aware rogers had that. Thanks for the info there. Personally, I have cut the cable cord, so I'll continue to use alternative means to watch, but I guess that's alright for people who have rogers. It's just too bad that everything has to go through the cable companies in Canada because they have the government and regulations in the palm of their hand.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I do not have, but obviously will get, Amazon Prime.

What is the benefit/drawback of it for the purposes of streaming media?

I know I can go to the site and look but user experience is important to know as well. Thanks!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I do not have, but obviously will get, Amazon Prime.

What is the benefit/drawback of it for the purposes of streaming media?

I know I can go to the site and look but user experience is important to know as well. Thanks!

Prime video is the same thing as Netflix. It's just a few years behind the latter in terms of selection and original content IMO. This deal is huge and will help close the gap.

At this point, they should seriously consider spinning off Prime into its own brand.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Love it. I've been touting Prime in other threads and this just adds even more value. I don't have Netflix so I was really pulling for Prime in this. Actually, Prime had a lot of the older Top Gear seasons available for free on Prime Instant Video a couple of months back and that was how I watched the early seasons.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Prime video is the same thing as Netflix. It's just a few years behind the latter in terms of selection and original content IMO. This deal is huge and will help close the gap.

At this point, they should seriously consider spinning off Prime into its own brand.

Audio and video quality isn't up to the same level of Netflix, either. Plus, Prime doesn't stream on many of Google's streaming devices (e.g. Chromecast).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Good for Amazon though.

Well, the rumor is they spent $250 million for 3 years of Top Gear. More per episode than Game of Thrones costs. Amazon isn't dicking around. This is THE show that has global appeal and can get them in other markets.

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
Who will have the honor of having a corner of the new test track named after them?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
According to the FT, sources say the former "Top Gear" hosts' deal with Amazon is worth a reported $250 million for three years and 36 episodes.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jere...igned-a-deal-with-amazon-2015-7#ixzz3hSv7isJt

AS I’m sure you know, Top Gear is to soldier on under new management.

And that’s great.

But if you’re a fan of three middle-aged petrolheads falling over and catching fire, then I have good news.

Because Richard Hammond, James May and I are to make a new show with the American giant Amazon.

Along with our long-time producer, Andy Wilman, we have formed a production company which is called W Chump and Sons and we are now looking for an office, a rubber plant, some company cars and a name for our new programme.

Then we will be off. To make what will be a seriously well-funded, British-based show with no commercial breaks and, better still, no editorial pressure from on high.

Amazon has been delightfully clear on that. “Just make the show you wanna make, guys.”

Music to my ears.

It’ll be on your televisions and your internets and your tablets and your telephones next year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-funerals-go-if-you-cant-drive-in-convoy.html

I wonder what the new track will be. Willow Springs, maybe? Laguna Seca? I guess if the production is totally on their end, their new offices and tack could be wherever they want.

Wilman also disclosed some details about the new program's format, which would include "lots of newness" but still some echoes of the team’s Top Gear heritage, with "indoor" studio elements and international escapades.

"But there will be a new look, new elements, new home. We’ve been so busy doing the bloody deal ... that [the development] process now begins in earnest," he said.

Each of the three seasons commissioned by Amazon will feature 12 episodes of roughly 60 minutes in length, he claimed, with the first due for delivery in the fall of next year. But unlike other streaming formats, he suggested the season might not be made available in one go, instead keeping with the weekly scheduling Top Gear enjoyed on the BBC.

"We’re a one trick pony, I wouldn’t watch 12 episodes in a row," he joked.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/top-gear-producer-talks-amazon-812367

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Awesome. I loved Top Gear up until the end but it should be great to see what they come up with here. So much potential. New test track. New test track driver. New locations.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It's the same cost as Netflix per year???? I don't need Prime so it is if I just want to watch Top Gear.

Prime is 99 a year and Netflix is 9 a month if you want it on more than one screen at a time, so yes Prime is cheaper and you get free 2 day shipping on things you buy from amazon

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
LUGisW0.jpg

(article talking about the new Prime show)

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
That is an excellent way to start this new show. And a great FU to Top Gear after having teased that exact race last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00