TV: The Grand Tour

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Fantastic news if true.

Excerpt:

Clarkson is set to be joined by both of his former Top Gear co-presenters, Richard Hammond and James May, with “three huge companies†competing to sign the stars. “They have had offers and they are close to making a decision about what they want to do,†an industry source said.

More: http://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-set-to-unveil-new-motoring-show-within-weeks

Update:

AS I’m sure you know, Top Gear is to soldier on under new management.

And that’s great.

But if you’re a fan of three middle-aged petrolheads falling over and catching fire, then I have good news.

Because Richard Hammond, James May and I are to make a new show with the American giant Amazon.

Along with our long-time producer, Andy Wilman, we have formed a production company which is called W Chump and Sons and we are now looking for an office, a rubber plant, some company cars and a name for our new programme.

Then we will be off. To make what will be a seriously well-funded, British-based show with no commercial breaks and, better still, no editorial pressure from on high.

Amazon has been delightfully clear on that. “Just make the show you wanna make, guys.â€

Music to my ears.

It’ll be on your televisions and your internets and your tablets and your telephones next year.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...-funerals-go-if-you-cant-drive-in-convoy.html
See pages 3 and 4 of this thread for discussion on how to get the new series.

----------------------------

New series name announced: The Grand Tour.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...r-jeremy-clarkson_uk_573c7af2e4b0328a838bc5eb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/b/?node=10257739031

https://m.facebook.com/thegrandtour

Last edited:

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
I refuse to watch the last episodes of TG until I know there will be something more.

Good to know I will be freeing up some DVR space soon

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
f10.gif

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Should be interesting. Clarkson without the filter of BBC is going to be entertaining.

then there is the flip side

what happens the first time he says one of his usually silly thinks and there are mass protests and sponsors pull out (this is one reason why I think netflix is the best option)

Sep 19, 2008
Good news. Hopefully Netflix is more tolerant of his behaviour

BTW no one will watch the new Top Gear and shouldn't if they support Jezza

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012

No one is going to tolerate him punching another person. The BBC let him get away with a lot before then too.

Fans should hope he has learned to act like a grown man after this debacle. He's entertaining, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it is he who gets himself into trouble.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
I'm still waiting for that race between La Ferrari, the P1 and the Porsche.

Thing is, do the BBC own the rights of the Stig?

I'll definitely give this new show a go. I hope they make even more specials like Burma, India, etc. I also hope the new Top Gear is a quality show. The more quality shows to choose from, the better IMO. I love cars and shows with these kind of formats.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris

I don't support Clarkson's acts. The BBC mishandled the situation but they had no choice but to let him go. The new presenters and the new show will obviously be compared to the original, but if it's good, I'm watching it. The thing is, with a host like Evans, I'm not sure it will be.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Thing is, do the BBC own the rights of the Stig?

I'll definitely give this new show a go. I hope they make even more specials like Burma, India, etc. I also hope the new Top Gear is a quality show. The more quality shows to choose from, the better IMO. I love cars and shows with these kind of formats.

If they end up on Netflix I have no doubt that the show will be of tremendous quality. Netflix will almost surely give them a nearly unlimited budget because they know the kind of worldwide viewership that the trio can bring. And, they've been making some really top notch shows lately.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If they end up on Netflix I have no doubt that the show will be of tremendous quality. Netflix will almost surely give them a nearly unlimited budget because they know the kind of worldwide viewership that the trio can bring. And, they've been making some really top notch shows lately.

Netflix needs to grow internationally and there's no better show to do it with.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
The show is going to be great. It's probably going to be an improvement now that they're getting a fresh start. Top Gear on BBC did have some sick production values though.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Thing is, do the BBC own the rights of the Stig
?

They do but doesn't mean they can't have a driver with a different name. They also can't have a star in a reasonably priced car. The chemistry between the three is awesome. The show is on a competing network - ITV. Hopefully they get on Netflix but are currently negotiating with U.S. networks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-clarksons-new-itv-show-5961274

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

njdevsfn95

Help JJJ, Sprite.
Jul 30, 2006
They are going to test drive cars on a different track with a different driver with a different name.

Perhaps they can do Star in an Unreasonably Priced Car. :sarcasm:

But cant they just call it "Celebrity Car Challenge" and be done with it? Certainly BBC doesnt have the copyright on putting a celebrity in a car on a track?

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
They are going to test drive cars on a different track with a different driver with a different name.

But cant they just call it "Celebrity Car Challenge" and be done with it? Certainly BBC doesnt have the copyright on putting a celebrity in a car on a track?

True, I'm sure there are all kinds of loop holes to create a similar style show. One thing, if they are running the show on a competing network in the same time slot the plan is to kill BBC's Top Gear.

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB

I actually really hope they don't make an equivalent to that segment. That segment was always my least favourite portion of every episode, and I just found myself fast forwarding through lots of them.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I actually really hope they don't make an equivalent to that segment. That segment was always my least favourite portion of every episode, and I just found myself fast forwarding through lots of them.

It might be better if they have more north american celebrities. They also aren't constrained by time or anything like that if they end up on Netflix, so it could be a cheap throw-in segment.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Star in a reasonably priced car was good when you had celebs who had legitimate interests and knowledge of cars. Matt LeBlanc was always good in those segments. It could still be done but having it as a regular weekly segment was too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->