nhl_g_kingsts9_576.jpg

so people will stop asking us

los-angeles-kings-stanley-cup-win.jpg

if it can actually work.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's the same game the team has played for the better part of 2 seasons. That's the problem. Same issues as there have been.

I'm not sure I agree with that. It was a low expected goals game.

The type of game that's been driving me crazy over the last two years is when our expected goals is 4 or 5 and Hank somehow gives up 1.

Yes, the turtling was similar but we better just get used to that until AV is fired.

Maybe my standards are lower this year because I know who the coach is, but I don't think I'd put this even in the top 10 of "wow we should have lost that game but won" from last year.

At the very least it was nowhere near the "win" against Montreal earlier. That was like watching Montreal practice.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And honestly, we're 23rd in PDO and deserved a shaky one, not like the last two years when our PDO was top 3 and we were pulling this shit every night.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I am tracking corsi and fenwick in my NHL18 Rangers season mode. So far on the highest difficulty, I am about the same PDO, CF%, CF/60 and a couple off CA/60. Fun times.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Heatmap is close. May try and wire it up while watching football today. Never going to be as pretty as natural stat trick's, though. Those are the premiere heatmaps in the sphere today, IMO.

Meh. Good enough for me, for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I'm not sure I agree with that. It was a low expected goals game.

The type of game that's been driving me crazy over the last two years is when our expected goals is 4 or 5 and Hank somehow gives up 1.

Yes, the turtling was similar but we better just get used to that until AV is fired.

Maybe my standards are lower this year because I know who the coach is, but I don't think I'd put this even in the top 10 of "wow we should have lost that game but won" from last year.

At the very least it was nowhere near the "win" against Montreal earlier. That was like watching Montreal practice.

I thought they didn't really turtle in the 3rd period last night so much as every time they got into the offensive zone it was "miss a cross crease pass and have to go back on the defensive". More of an offensive execution problem than an ill-advised defensive strategy. They were still pushing and trying to create chances up until about the 5 minutes remaining mark, they were just doing a bad job getting anything on net

Reactions: Mac n Gs

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Remember when I was ridiculed this off-season for saying that ADA would be out of the organization or in the AHL by Jan 2018? How many times has this kid been a healthy scratch now, or used simply as the 7D and only taken PP shifts?

It was so obvious that this would be a player AV would not trust. There has to be some sort of major disconnect between the FO and the coaches right now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Remember when I was ridiculed this off-season for saying that ADA would be out of the organization or in the AHL by Jan 2018? How many times has this kid been a healthy scratch now, or used simply as the 7D and only taken PP shifts?

It was so obvious that this would be a player AV would not trust. There has to be some sort of major disconnect between the FO and the coaches right now.
I think this whole situation will settle by the end of November. I think he’ll get his full-time spot by then (although he should have it now)

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS

It was clear as daylight, but it's disappointing regardless. ADA has a very welcomed skillset, in my book.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
McDonagh and Smith have not worked at all since Smith was acquired, I hate them together. Team is just rotten overall though, just piss poor along the walls, making quality passes and creating space has been non-existent. Hank has been good at times and awful others, the system is a chore to watch, no forecheck, stretch passes galore, no one except Hayes can carry the puck in, defenseman giving up the blueline.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
McD has had some blunders of his own, but I have zero idea why we didn't let McDonagh-Shattenkirk develop a bit more. They always had the puck.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
McD has had some blunders of his own, but I have zero idea why we didn't let McDonagh-Shattenkirk develop a bit more. They always had the puck.
I don't know bro, AV just couldn't handle Shattenkirk's defense I guess. Is it just me or have we lost too much skill? Brassard, St. Louis, Stepan, guys who can distribute the puck. Seems like this team has alot of trouble just connecting on passes. Maybe it's the system, maybe it's other teams, maybe I am just a nutjob, I don't know. But the team seems to struggle with simple plays.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I don't know bro, AV just couldn't handle Shattenkirk's defense I guess. Is it just me or have we lost too much skill? Brassard, St. Louis, Stepan, guys who can distribute the puck. Seems like this team has alot of trouble just connecting on passes. Maybe it's the system, maybe it's other teams, maybe I am just a nutjob, I don't know. But the team seems to struggle with simple plays.
Don't get me started about losing Stepan because I'll white knight for him until my head explodes.

You're probably correct regarding Shattenkirk's defense, but I don't see how AV can come to that conclusion after two or three games. This system is always difficult for people to pick up and is prone to constant breakdowns, but again, that's something I've been complaining about for three years and don't feel like being a broken record. By my eye test, Shatty has actually made some underrated defensive plays in the zone, but his more noticeable errors have come from his play with the puck. I don't think his coverage has been a problem.

I'm not so sure if I agree regarding the skill, but I think that thought may be driven by our lack of scoring this season. I actually think this is a really talented offensive team that's just missing another piece in the top-6. This is why I've advocated for moving Miller to C and giving him Kreider and Buch on his wings to having three guys that can all open up space and wear opposing dmen down.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Don't get me started about losing Stepan because I'll white knight for him until my head explodes.

You're probably correct regarding Shattenkirk's defense, but I don't see how AV can come to that conclusion after two or three games. This system is always difficult for people to pick up and is prone to constant breakdowns, but again, that's something I've been complaining about for three years and don't feel like being a broken record. By my eye test, Shatty has actually made some underrated defensive plays in the zone, but his more noticeable errors have come from his play with the puck. I don't think his coverage has been a problem.

I'm not so sure if I agree regarding the skill, but I think that thought may be driven by our lack of scoring this season. I actually think this is a really talented offensive team that's just missing another piece in the top-6. This is why I've advocated for moving Miller to C and giving him Kreider and Buch on his wings to having three guys that can all open up space and wear opposing dmen down.
Totally agree on Shattenkirk. His biggest problems are to me his decisions with the puck at times, and how he defends off the rush, I noticed the same issues with St. Louis so it's not that shocking to me, but I think he is actually pretty good at in zone defending.

As far as the skill set, you may be right, but it's just frustrating to watch how much the team struggles at generating offense inside the offensive zone, although I may just be biased or expecting too much.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

AV can't handle existing

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Staal hasn’t been horrendous the last couple games he’s played with Shattenkirk

Maybe JG’s plan all along was to play Shatty with Staal so Staal looks competent again, and can trade him in the offseason

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Shut the f*** up, Larry

http://nypost.com/2017/10/24/tailspin-could-force-rangers-to-face-an-uncomfortable-reality/

The Rangers may be shy some young talent after having traded away four consecutive first-rounders from 2013 through 2016 in attempts to win it all, but when you get nights on which your goaltender’s save percentage is under .900 — as in this one in which Lundqvist allowed four goals on 24 shots, and as in six of his nine starts, including three under .870 — even the most splendiferous young talent extant wouldn’t necessarily make a difference.

Even after last night, guess who is still outperforming his xSv%, and has a positive GSAA? (Corsica.Hockey)

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
All this being said though, Hank does share some of the onus. It's not likely every goal against is because of the team in front of him. Let's not pretend that Hank can't be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad