The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I wish I could quote the post, but that argument about McD vs Subban that irish brought up was interesting

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I wish I could quote the post, but that argument about McD vs Subban that irish brought up was interesting

Next best thing you could do would be is to just link to the single comment so everyone knew what you were talking about ;)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135301039&postcount=1002

I did think it was pretty interesting of Hohl to bring up on the PDOcast, and his Twitter post that followed reminded me of it.

I think McDonagh will have a superb year now that Girardi is gone.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Next best thing you could do would be is to just link to the single comment so everyone knew what you were talking about ;)

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=135301039&postcount=1002

I did think it was pretty interesting of Hohl to bring up on the PDOcast, and his Twitter post that followed reminded me of it.

I think McDonagh will have a superb year now that Girardi is gone.

Thanks! I think the Girardi effect will definitely be noticeable, even moreso if he plays with Shatty

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If Corsica wasn't coming back, I'd think about putting a site together (read: trying to learn how to do that and then failing), but I don't have the patience or money or hardware to pull that off.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
How did you get a link to a single post?

iZcUNxH.gif

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Athanasiou doesn't move the needle much on shot attempts (-1.24 CF%rel last year). His scoring rate was fantastic though (1.94 points per 60 | 1.28 goals per 60 | 15.99 shot attempts per 60). Those would've ranked T-4th, 2nd, and 2nd on the team last year, respectively. http://naturalstattrick.com

If we're going into the season with the crap center-depth that's currently on the roster, you have to subset it with good wingers. If AA is on the block, you have to call Holland. Jagr is a free agent, absurd he hasn't been signed. Complement your crap center depth with good wingers.

20 - 93 - 89
61 - 13 - 36
AA - 10 - 68
19 - DD - 40
26-12

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
For any Python programmers / developers, take a look at the this library. Happy programming!:)

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
If Corsica wasn't coming back, I'd think about putting a site together (read: trying to learn how to do that and then failing), but I don't have the patience or money or hardware to pull that off.

It honestly wouldn't be a tremendous undertaking, especially if you start small. Wouldn't recommend backing it with R code though.

For any Python programmers / developers, take a look at the this library. Happy programming!:)

Awesome; I'll be sure to check it out next time I get the itch to answer some analytical question.

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
I love this thread. It's by far the most polite on the Ranger board and you guys make me feel dumber here then smarter when talking to my friends.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Things that are funny to me:

Stat-line prediction threads. You can go in there, and spout off whatever numbers you want with no basis, and nobody cares. But if someone went in there with an analytical study that said, here's what I expect for players this year based on historical performance, similar players, and age trends. Well, people would lose their minds.

For the past week or so, I've only been posting in two threads on HFNYR; this one, and the football thread. Lurking everywhere else. It's been nice.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Things that are funny to me:

Stat-line prediction threads. You can go in there, and spout off whatever numbers you want with no basis, and nobody cares. But if someone went in there with an analytical study that said, here's what I expect for players this year based on historical performance, similar players, and age trends. Well, people would lose their minds.

For the past week or so, I've only been posting in two threads on HFNYR; this one, and the football thread. Lurking everywhere else. It's been nice.

You may as well write a thesis on why JT Miller keeps defying regression and screwing up your models :laugh:

The other threads have been something else lately

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You may as well write a thesis on why JT Miller keeps defying regression and screwing up your models :laugh:

The other threads have been something else lately

JT Miller's shooting % is the reason I have trust issues. I remember looking into it when Corsica was up ( :( ). He's out-pacing his ixG like crazy. I published this in February this past year:

The burning question remains, is JT Miller an elite shooter? Has his game evolved to that level? Or, is he getting lucky? Miller has 38 goals since 15-16, while his Corsica.Hockey expected goal total is a "mere" 23.17 goals, meaning his outpacing his expected total by 15 goals. In this sample (last two seasons), JT Miller is 13th in the league for goals scored above expected. The 12 names above him? Marchand, P. Kane, Tarasenko, Crosby, Burns, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Panarin, Hoffman, Kucherov, Weber, and Scheifele.

Seems to me that Miller's "crash and burn" comes in the playoffs every year.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
JT Miller's shooting % is the reason I have trust issues. I remember looking into it when Corsica was up ( :( ). He's out-pacing his ixG like crazy. I published this in February this past year:

Seems to me that Miller's "crash and burn" comes in the playoffs every year.

Yeah I'd agree with that, albeit it's weird to see his goal:assist splt be 1:15. Which when you think about it, it's ****ing bonkers that he has 40 playoff games and 1 goal. He and Hayes suck in the playoffs. Regression is a *****

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yeah I'd agree with that, albeit it's weird to see his goal:assist splt be 1:15. Which when you think about it, it's ****ing bonkers that he has 40 playoff games and 1 goal. He and Hayes suck in the playoffs. Regression is a *****

I still have a hard time drawing conclusions from the "1 goal in 40 games" narrative. It's misleading, IMO. Sure, it's 40 games, but it's not like it's 40 straight games. And it's not like all 40 games happened in the same year. We're talking 40 games since 2014. 4, 19, 5, 12.

It's discouraging, but, not something I'd really hold over JT. It's a "funny" juxtaposition for him though.

Bad playoff performer vs. good playoff performer is a narrative I'd like to kill completely, but understand that will never happen.

I miss you, 21.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I still have a hard time drawing conclusions from the "1 goal in 40 games" narrative. It's misleading, IMO. Sure, it's 40 games, but it's not like it's 40 straight games. And it's not like all 40 games happened in the same year. We're talking 40 games since 2014. 4, 19, 5, 12.

It's discouraging, but, not something I'd really hold over JT. It's a "funny" juxtaposition for him though.

Yeah that's what I meant with how the statline looks weird, and I do agree his play has been discouraging. I still want to see him completely separated from Kevin Hayes before making more conclusions about his playoff performance

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I've read most of them and those are still more polite

There is this one guy called SilverFish, stay away from him and you will do well (we are forced blocked from each other)!

Everyone else here is really friendly! :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->