The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Jordan Weal has 4 points in 5 games. He's got an interesting discrepancy between his relCF% and his relxGF%, though (relCF% negative, relxGF% positive). [Corsica.Hockey].

Either way, would've been a really good add this summer.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Jordan Weal has 4 points in 5 games. He's got an interesting discrepancy between his relCF% and his relxGF%, though (relCF% negative, relxGF% positive). [Corsica.Hockey].

Either way, would've been a really good add this summer.
Yup. I wanted Yak too and he’s killing it in Colorado

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yup. I wanted Yak too and he’s killing it in Colorado

For a team that was so obviously devoid of offensive talent, it's incredible the guys we didn't bring in vs the guys we did.

Were they actually expecting Grabner to shoot 17% again? Buchnevich to miraculously jump to 60 points? Vesey to improve? All of these things were so obviously not going to happen.

Like Jerry Reese expecting the five guys on the Giants O-Line to just magically progress and get better.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
"We talking bout Jordan Weal and Nail Yakupov?" - Allen Iverson

Dan Girardi's CF% and RelCF% have both officially dropped to negative with the Bolts. End of an era.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
"We talking bout Jordan Weal and Nail Yakupov?" - Allen Iverson

Well, yes. Much of the value of the 'fancystat' revolution is going to come in being able to recognize market-undervalued players. Weal and Yakupov were somewhat obvious 'bargain bin' hunting in this year's free-agency.

Instead, we went to DD51, which we knew would be an issue as he has always been one of those guys who's tasked with playing way above where he actually should be (ie. a fourth liner who's now in our top-6 and a staple on PP2), and given PTOs to Desjardins. Ignoring guys like Franson. Ignoring Weal. Ignoring Yak.

Everyone knows who the 'great' players are. The value comes in being able to separate the rest of the pool from each other.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
DD is at least a servicable NHL center, who can eat minutes and score a little and not hurt you there, a position of need for NYR, that's why he was brought in. Those other 2 are not. His usage is a separate issue. Are those 2 definitely better options on the wings than what he already have?

Cody 49% xGF Franson over the past 2 seasons is just a tad overrated. Is he really a better option than Shatt/ADA/Smith?

I'm all for moneypuck but I really don't see the value in those guys to our team.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
DD is at least a servicable NHL center, who can eat minutes and score a little and not hurt you there, a position of need for NYR, that's why he was brought in. Those other 2 are not. His usage is a separate issue. Are those 2 definitely better options on the wings than what he already have?

Cody 49% xGF Franson over the past 2 seasons is just a tad overrated. Is he really a better option than Shatt/ADA/Smith?

I'm all for moneypuck but I really don't see the value in those guys to our team.

Yes. I'd say that Weal and Yakupov are definitely better options than Carey and Vesey, but that's besides the point which is that the Rangers continue to show that their player evaluation, from FO to coaching staff, isn't quite there yet, IMO.

Sure, Franson was a 49.47 xGF% player over the past two seasons (Corsica.Hockey), but you fail to mention that this 49.47 xGF% is +2.68%. IMO, Franson at 1yr, $1m is a better option than Smith at 4/$4.35m.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Or we could’ve just played Miller at C and backfilled our depth on the wings with speed and skill

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Weal was never available, he was re-signed before he became a free agent. Not worth saying that the Rangers should have signed him and worrying about that.

Yakupov...I'm interested to see how he does all season but he's consistently disappointed year after year even if he goes through some hot spurts. Not sure it's worth crying about him as well.

McDonagh's CF% and rel CF% sharply up this year without Girardi I see...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Here's a question, how are QoT and QoC used and what do the numbers mean? Corsica has CF% QoT(C) and TOI% QoT(C) but I'm not sure how to read those numbers

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I know that but what does a "29" mean in terms of QoT or a 51 in terms of QoC

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's pretty funny. What, 90% of people (if not more) on HFNYR are finally fed up with AV, and I find myself not totally blaming him for the struggles this early in the season. His deployment is horrendous, both who he plays and how he plays them, but AV's not coaching McDonagh, Smith, Skjei, and DeAngelo to make the horrendous turnovers they've been making.

It's also not his fault that Gorton's off-season was absolutely horrid.

Fire the guy, but like, chill out, HF :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
It's pretty funny. What, 90% of people (if not more) on HFNYR are finally fed up with AV, and I find myself not totally blaming him for the struggles this early in the season. His deployment is horrendous, both who he plays and how he plays them, but AV's not coaching McDonagh, Smith, Skjei, and DeAngelo to make the horrendous turnovers they've been making.

It's also not his fault that Gorton's off-season was absolutely horrid.

Fire the guy, but like, chill out, HF :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->