The Advanced Stats Thread Episode VI: RIP To Our Databases

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Never mind. I've derailed the thread enough, accidentally, but it was derailed. Not going to get into a pissing match in this thread.

Sorry, everyone.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Anyone working on anything cool or have read anything cool recently? After getting the scraper set up for the year for the post-game chart dump, I'm basically done with the NHL. Could develop an xG model or a site, but, not really worth the squeeze with all the resources out there.

NWHL starts today :D

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If this team panic trades Kreider before they fire AV, I am done until they fire AV and Gorton. Better ways to spend my time.

Another season where I can't help but wonder why Jimmy Vesey is in the NHL.

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
anyone can chime in here, but it looked like Hayes was starting to improve based on the last few games (sans for tonight)

I haven't looked too deeply into his numbers but I'm curious if anyone can confirm that

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
anyone can chime in here, but it looked like Hayes was starting to improve based on the last few games (sans for tonight)

I haven't looked too deeply into his numbers but I'm curious if anyone can confirm that
His underlying numbers have looked good in the last few games.

Tonight...not so much.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I am all aboard the Silverfish JT Miller is overrated train. He's so aggravating.

Odd timing. Doesn't he lead the team in points? :laugh:

Although, I think half his assists are secondary, and for some reason, he's shooting less than he normally does which already wasn't enough. I thought he looked pretty lethargic out there last night. I'm speculating that he may not be 100% right now. He put on a clinic in gliding on one of the Habs goals that was on an odd-man rush yesterday. I think the play where McDonagh stepped up but didnt get hte puck.

Here are some other bandwagons you can jump on:

1. Jeff Gorton is a bad GM
2. Jimmy Vesey is not an NHL player
3. Lias Andersson was a reach at 7OA
4. Brady Skjei is overrated
5. Brendan Smith is overpaid

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some non-Rangers stuff to cheer us up

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/top-23-best-defenseman-in-the-nhl.2401205/

For me:

-Glad Petry is getting his due. Are we at the point where we admit he's better than Weber? I think we're at that point. Weber was good like six years ago lol

-I get that Cam Fowler does some things very well, but I still can't get behind the idea that he's had a dozen and a half failed partnerships and none of it is his fault. Even here, the first thing they say about Fowler is "oh, bad partners."

-Byfuglien being in the top 10 probably indicates the difficultly context is weighed too much. He plays hard minutes and he's good, but he's not a top 10 D.

-I love that Karlsson's DEFENSIVE impact is the best in the NHL. That's just f***ing delicious.

-Faulk over Slavin at this point, is bold. Not crazy, but bold.

-No Klefbom?? :help:

-The Penguins went from belonging in a league above the NHL with Letang, to being very average without Letang. You have to think he's higher than 17th.

What say you?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Interesting list

Only one I was legit surprised to see on the list was Spurgeon

Not sure how I feel about McDonagh not being on the list, he seems to be on alot of these lists. Not seeing him on this one was a bit of a shock

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not sure what to make of McDonagh. His numbers are good, but he looks like he's lost a step. And one of his best assets, skating the puck up ice is absolutely wasted with AV behind the bench.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Interesting list

Only one I was legit surprised to see on the list was Spurgeon

Not sure how I feel about McDonagh not being on the list, he seems to be on alot of these lists. Not seeing him on this one was a bit of a shock

I was a little peeved that McDonagh didn't make it.

Fowler has 18 bad partners and it's not his fault.

McDonagh has one and he's off the list.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I have no clue what I’m seeing in Vesey that y’all don’t see. He doesn’t look bad to me, but maybe my expectations are for him to be a 3rd liner. He’s generated a lot of individual chances but hasn’t scored. :dunno:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I have no clue what I’m seeing in Vesey that y’all don’t see. He doesn’t look bad to me, but maybe my expectations are for him to be a 3rd liner. He’s generated a lot of individual chances but hasn’t scored. :dunno:

I feel like Vesey is fine once he's in the offensive zone and fine once he's in the defensive zone, but his transition is like, sub-AHL.

He's a Glass/Girardi-caliber passer.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
He's scored at a pretty pathetic level, since the start of 2016-2017 he is at 1.09 P/60 and 0.93 P/60. CF% and xG% relative are both huge negatives, as MH said, he's bad at passing the puck. I don't know what you could be seeing from him, but IMO he is barely even an NHL'er at this point.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
Jimmy Vesey scored 12 points in his first 20 career games.

He has 22 in his last 84 (includes playoffs).

I'm not saying he can't improve but the fact that he's 24 already certainly has me thinking a bit. :laugh:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Here are some other bandwagons you can jump on:

1. Jeff Gorton is a bad GM
2. Jimmy Vesey is not an NHL player
3. Lias Andersson was a reach at 7OA
4. Brady Skjei is overrated
5. Brendan Smith is overpaid

Is #3 not considered a consensus? It seemed like the majority of us were upset with that pick when it was made. I like the kid's game a lot, he's like Jesper Fast at centre with a top six skill-set, and I hope he can develop into just that, but you gotta believe they trade down a few spots if Detroit and LA weren't kicking the tires. Being optimistic about his development and denying that we reached for him don't necessarily go hand in hand.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
7 was a tough spot. There was a very clear top 6 and then a huge drop-off.

I'm not sure Lias is any worse than what was taken 8-14.

I think it's just easy to be disappointed when you compare him to how far along Chytil is but look at the size of them. Chytil is going to have a Joe Thornton body when he's done growing. That's a bigger deal when you're a teenager compared to other teenagers.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Yeah, I guess the only two guys that I had clearly ahead of him were Tippet and Vilardi. There was just so much parity at that point, that unless we chose one of those two, I was going to be disappointed that we never traded down. But hey, I was even more upset that we never traded down for Chytil, so the **** do I know?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Have you guys seen Karlsson's numbers so far?

Frankly, I don't know why opponents even bother trying. Best player in the world.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Might be the wrong place to post this but it's based off of stats so should be fine :)
Made a bit of a rant on twitter today about our PK, mostly questioning why Hayes and Vesey are on the PK at all while Zuke and Zbad arent main stays.

There's a twitter thread on that post, won't post them all because it will just look cluttered.

TL;DR: Our top-6 F's on the PK right now should be (in no order): Grabner, Fast, Nash, Zuccarello, Zibanejad and Miller. And i would like to see Desharnais, Kreider and Buchnevich tried on the PK, think all could be good PKers.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
a big thing I see missing in those rankings is Denying Entry and forcing opponent dump ins

also, 'successful dump out rate' implies that's a good thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad