Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
you also subtract Severson's $4 million. Greene and Lovejoy are gone by then too, thats another ~$7.7 million
But we will have a ton of young guys that will be getting paid to some extent or another in the upcoming years as well.

Right now we have no big contracts, and a ton of young guys, thus we have a ton of cap space, but when we start signing Hall to his big deal and those young guys begin to come off their cheap deals that cap space is going to get eaten up pretty quickly.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
You add Muzzin AND Carlson but somehow that defense still looks bad. I think its Greene on the 2nd pair...

there is absolutely no way that that defense is bad. That defense is MILES ahead of what we had this year. We basically add a top pairing and shift everyone else down.

Greene is going to be on the 2nd pair at the very least. Some of you guys have WAY too much hatred for Greene. If he didn't have to play major minutes against top competition, he could still easily be effective.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
But we will have a ton of young guys that will be getting paid to some extent or another in the upcoming years as well.

Right now we have no big contracts, and a ton of young guys, thus we have a ton of cap space, but when we start signing Hall to his big deal and those young guys begin to come off their cheap deals that cap space is going to get eaten up pretty quickly.

Hall is only going to get $2-3 million on top of what he is currently making....he isn't going to add $8 million onto the cap or anything.

the cap is the least of my worries right now. We have enough cap space to add two large salary players and still be completely fine.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
you wouldn't trade Severson for Muzzin straight up?

You aren't serious, are you?

I don't think it's a slam dunk. Muzzin is good but not great player that turns 30 and has 2 years left on his deal.

It's also "win now" trade. And I'm not sure I want to start making those deals.

But I'm out. Pick this up later.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
there is absolutely no way that that defense is bad. That defense is MILES ahead of what we had this year. We basically add a top pairing and shift everyone else down.

Greene is going to be on the 2nd pair at the very least. Some of you guys have WAY too much hatred for Greene. If he didn't have to play major minutes against top competition, he could still easily be effective.
I just don't see with all the youth in Mueller, Butcher, Santini, Severson how Greene maintains a top 4 position. What was his biggest contribution this year, blocked shots which was a culmination of him being too slow to get to the puck before the shot?

Butcher or Mueller should slide up to 2nd pair and Greene should play 3rd and PK1. I also think he should be stripped of the captaincy for Hall - Greene has two years left and there is no way he should even touch this roster by his third year unless it is as a #7.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Also I doubt very much Vatanen leaves the top pair. He just settles in playing 25+, which is what he has wanted since being drafted, and you take that away from him the very next year? Seems very unlikely

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Hall is only going to get $2-3 million on top of what he is currently making....he isn't going to add $8 million onto the cap or anything.

the cap is the least of my worries right now. We have enough cap space to add two large salary players and still be completely fine.
Just Clowe’s contract coming off the books and the cap going up 5 million is enough to bring in a top tier free agent (JT/JC). That will still leave us with 15 mill for our own RFA’s.

Edit: I think Hall will get 4-5 on top of the 6 he’s getting now...and he deserves every cent

Last edited:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I don't think it's a slam dunk. Muzzin is good but not great player that turns 30 and has 2 years left on his deal.

It's also "win now" trade. And I'm not sure I want to start making those deals.

But I'm out. Pick this up later.

Muzzin is a 40 point DMan and a possession monster that can play 22+ minutes/night. That is better than good to me.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Also I doubt very much Vatanen leaves the top pair. He just settles in playing 25+, which is what he has wanted since being drafted, and you take that away from him the very next year? Seems very unlikely

if we got John Carlson, he will be the RD1. He is better than Vatanen. and I love Sami.

Reactions: Darkauron

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You see, this is stupid and wrong. And it devalues every single take you have on the player.

For someone who's been calling Severson "Elite"... I think you should probably reevaluate your own comments before anything else.

The kid is a liability in his own zone and the only reason he's in the NHL is because of his "offensive skills"... which aren't all that great to begin with.

When you rack up 5, 1, 3 and 9 goals in his first 4 years in the league and his best year was 31 pts... you're not supposed to be labeled "offensive". Will Butcher is a offensive dman, Severson has average numbers on offense and he's mediocre in his own zone.

I won't and I haven't denied that he does have the tools to be something solid but he hasn't showed anything that would lead me to believe he's about to turn that corner. Maybe a change of scenery can do him some good cause he's just not showing any type of improvement offensively or defensively.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
if we got John Carlson, he will be the RD1. He is better than Vatanen. and I love Sami.
Which is why we probably aren't and shouldn't getting/get Carlson - Vatanen is this teams RD1 and probably for a while unless one of the kids steps it up.

Just stick to finding a LD1. De Haan is available and is a steady defensive dman, but has never had top line minutes.

I also would only do Severson straight up for Muzzin, no chance I add for a guy past 30 before next year's end.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

You should just copy and paste this post (or any the 27 other posts on the subject you posted over the past week) because I think you'll have to explain this point once every other day.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Which is why we probably aren't and shouldn't getting/get Carlson - Vatanen is this teams RD1 and probably for a while unless one of the kids steps it up.

Just stick to finding a LD1. De Haan is available and is a steady defensive dman, but has never had top line minutes.

I also would only do Severson straight up for Muzzin, no chance I add for a guy past 30 before next year's end.

this makes no sense

Don't upgrade on D because Vatanen is a good player? You know, its OK to have more than one good right handed DMan?

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
this makes no sense

Don't upgrade on D because Vatanen is a good player? You know, its OK to have more than one good right handed DMan?
Go ahead and be Hynes and Shero and tell Vatanen 'hey we brought you in to be our top RH defenseman but we are replacing you less than a year later with another top RH defenseman after you did nothing but succeed and excel at 25mins per'.

It wont happpen unless Vatanen is willing to slide to the left side. They will look to add to the left side considering we have Vatanen, Severson, and even Santini in the wings on the right. Even though I dislike Severson and think he won't excel in NJ.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
I really like Muzzin and he's probably the most realistically available of all the LHD I've seen mentioned. Guy is a legit top pairing guy and definitely better than Vats IMO
I doubt Brodin is getting moved.
I doubt Hanafin is getting moved, and if he does I doubt we would pay the price
OEL does really intrigue me tho if he is available. If the price of Muzzin is Severson+McLeod/Zacha then I'd have no problem adding our 1st + another smaller asset to that package for OEL.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Go ahead and be Hynes and Shero and tell Vatanen 'hey we brought you in to be our top RH defenseman but we are replacing you less than a year later with another top RH defenseman after you did nothing but succeed and excel at 25mins per'.

It wont happpen unless Vatanen is willing to slide to the left side. They will look to add to the left side considering we have Vatanen, Severson, and even Santini in the wings on the right. Even though I dislike Severson and think he won't excel in NJ.

This is such backwards logic. You don't think Vatanen (and others) would welcome legitimately good DMen to the team? I bet they would. Like I said, I like Sami a lot but he is not some unquestioned #1 DMan

So let me guess...we shouldn't even bother trying to sign John Taveres because we have Hischier?

faulty logic.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
this makes no sense

Having Carlson & Vatanen log between 23 to 25 minutes each would completely change this team. We'd have a stud on our first 2 duo's, we'd have 3 solid options on our PP with Butcher, Vatanen and Carlson and Sami wouldn't get overworked as our #1 at even straight, our main option on the PP and our 2nd option on the PK.

Adding Muzzin by moving Severson++ would be magical. He's the perfect type of dman we need on our left side since we have Vatanen locked down on the right with the potential to add Carlson as well on that same side.

Man, if that proposal can become reality, it would put us as legit contenders for the next several years.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Having Carlson & Vatanen log between 23 to 25 minutes each would completely change this team. We'd have a stud on our first 2 duo's, we'd have 3 solid options on our PP with Butcher, Vatanen and Carlson and Sami wouldn't get overworked as our #1 at even straight, our main option on the PP and our 2nd option on the PK.

Adding Muzzin by moving Severson++ would be magical. He's the perfect type of dman we need on our left side since we have Vatanen locked down on the right with the potential to add Carlson as well on that same side.

Man, if that proposal can become reality, it would put us as legit contenders for the next several years.

It's almost as if all the legit cup contenders have 2-3 guys who play ~25 minutes a night :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese