Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
This is such backwards logic. You don't think Vatanen (and others) would welcome legitimately good DMen to the team? I bet they would. Like I said, I like Sami a lot but he is not some unquestioned #1 DMan

So let me guess...we shouldn't even bother trying to sign John Taveres because we have Hischier?

faulty logic.
Why are you so passively aggressive lol

So we are looking for the 2nd highest paid dman in the league in Carlson? Is that really what we want while the kids are barely a year older?

Reactions: Devils Dominion

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why are you so passively aggressive lol

So we are looking for the 2nd highest paid dman in the league in Carlson? Is that really what we want while the kids are barely a year older?

Because I don't understand your logic. "We have one good player so we can't add another (for nothing but $$)". I can't understand how someone could have watched this D corps all year and not agree we need a big upgrade.

Our D is not going anywhere as far as contending wise unless we bring in outside help. We need at least 1 top pairing guy. We aren't getting that from the young guys we currently have.

I think Carlson could be had for ~$7.5/year. Don't really care what that means in regards to where he ranks league wide.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You seriously think Shero offers 7-8mil for a defenseman on our side of the defense that is filled? Unless we move Severson I find it hard to believe.

There's no way Shero is not offering a deal to Carlson because Severson is on our roster. I'm certain he'd rather keep the 24 pts, defensive liability who was scratched down the stretch over the highest point producing dman of the league and the main reason why his team of chockers are turning things around with 9 pts in 6 games.

I'll said it again... I'm still amazed at how certain posters view Damon Severson's value to our team.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
For someone who's been calling Severson "Elite"... I think you should probably reevaluate your own comments before anything else.

The kid is a liability in his own zone and the only reason he's in the NHL is because of his "offensive skills"... which aren't all that great to begin with.

When you rack up 5, 1, 3 and 9 goals in his first 4 years in the league and his best year was 31 pts... you're not supposed to be labeled "offensive". Will Butcher is a offensive dman, Severson has average numbers on offense and he's mediocre in his own zone.

I won't and I haven't denied that he does have the tools to be something solid but he hasn't showed anything that would lead me to believe he's about to turn that corner. Maybe a change of scenery can do him some good cause he's just not showing any type of improvement offensively or defensively.
Stop with the dumb ass straw man, it’s pathetic.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Because I don't understand your logic. "We have one good player so we can't add another (for nothing but $$)". I can't understand how someone could have watched this D corps all year and not agree we need a big upgrade.

Our D is not going anywhere as far as contending wise unless we bring in outside help. We need at least 1 top pairing guy. We aren't getting that from the young guys we currently have.

I think Carlson could be had for ~$7.5/year. Don't really care what that means in regards to where he ranks league wide.
So why can't we just add a LHD ? I mean I think we have differing opinions on what Shero's outlook is here. I think everyone saw playoffs and some deadline moves (which really were just to make it Shero is no fool thinking we had a chance). Now everyone expects more trades and well quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Shero wants to stick with the youth. He has hyped up a few of our defensive prospects and you already know Santini probably starts next year. So unless we trade Severson thats three (four since Lovejoy isnt going anywhere) on the right side. Why would we add another right handed dman unless Santini or Vatanen switches sides?

And Carlson just scored almost 70 points as a defenseman. He is getting 8 at least

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Stop with the dumb ass straw man, it’s pathetic.

Is he your brother or a relative of yours... or maybe you're actually Damon Severson, who knows?

LOL... I've never seen someone defend a "average" player like you do. If you could actually counter my posts with some actual facts or numbers, you'd probably shut me up but the fact that you keep on asking me to stop without any valid points just adds more fuel to my arguments.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Is he your brother or a relative of yours?

LOL... I've never seen someone defend a "average" player like you do. If you could actually counter my posts with some actual facts or numbers, you'd probably shut me up but the fact that you keep on asking me to stop without any valid points just adds more fuel to my arguments.
You showed that you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about when you said he was a “carbon copy” of Moore. You also continuously misrepresent how I feel about Severson. I’m going to ignore your valueless posts from now on.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
So why can't we just add a LHD ? I mean I think we have differing opinions on what Shero's outlook is here. I think everyone saw playoffs and some deadline moves (which really were just to make it Shero is no fool thinking we had a chance). Now everyone expects more trades and well quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Shero wants to stick with the youth. He has hyped up a few of our defensive prospects and you already know Santini probably starts next year. So unless we trade Severson thats three (four since Lovejoy isnt going anywhere) on the right side. Why would we add another right handed dman unless Santini or Vatanen switches sides?

And Carlson just scored almost 70 points as a defenseman. He is getting 8 at least

...which is why I proposed trading Severson and a forward for Muzzin, who is a LHD.

Shero has made significant "out of the blue" trades in each of the three years he has been here. I don't know why we should expect something different this year.

Like I said, we need top end DMen. None of our young guys are going to ever be that. We are going to have to draft one (will take a few years at minimum to develop) or trade for one.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
You seriously think Shero offers 7-8mil for a defenseman on our side of the defense that is filled? Unless we move Severson I find it hard to believe.
I have no idea, but Shero has done nothing but impress to date with the exception of the Grabner trade IMO. Again, I don’t know who, if any, are capable of moving to LD but if you have a chance to add a John Carlson, you do it. Figure out the rest later.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
You showed that you have absolutely no clue what you’re talking about when you said he was a “carbon copy” of Moore. You also continuously misrepresent how I feel about Severson. I’m going to ignore your valueless posts from now on.

I said that Moore isn't a offensive dman and I can say the same about Severson. I also said Moore sucks in his own zone and I can say the same about Severson.

If you can say otherwise about Moore or Severson, I'll listen to your arguments. I'm very opened minded... you just have to bring a solid case and I'll agree with you.

I'm not asking much, just the basics.

Edit: Please tell me you weren't calling him "Elite" and if you can deny that as well, I'll just have to go to the archives but you know I'm right.

newjerseydamo

May 15, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
www.puck-mad.com
Defense that is filled?

Are you serious?

Every position is filled throughout the year, and guess what? It's the GM's job to replace players, either through trade, demotion, retirement, or releasing from UFA/RFA.

If they took your approach, teams wouldn't change for years.

If a GM isn't constantly trying to upgrade every position they can, they aren't doing their job.

That's the most idiotic logic I've ever seen.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Shero's trades have been either predicted way ahead of time (Devils D for Oilers F, Henrique for Vats) or completely out of the blue (MoJo and Palms). So if we want a trade to happen we either need to talk about it a lot or not mention it at all

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Defense that is filled?

Are you serious?

Every position is filled throughout the year, and guess what? It's the GM's job to replace players, either through trade, demotion, retirement, or releasing from UFA/RFA.

If they took your approach, teams wouldn't change for years.

If a GM isn't constantly trying to upgrade every position they can, they aren't doing their job.

That's the most idiotic logic I've ever seen.
Wow apparently none of you get out much if something on a hockey forum board is the most idiotic thing youve ever seen

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

I'd give him 9M$ per if it comes down to it.

Carlson is a #1, he's a stud on the PP and we'd be giving up cap space to acquire a player that we've been looking for since Niedermayer bolted to Anaheim.

We have a lot of youth and with the moves we were able to make at the deadline, I think Shero is going to upgrade our roster instead of adding picks and more prospects. The core of this team is fairly young and we have a couple of veterans that we have to maximize before their play starts to decline.

We're in a prime spot to land a couple of high priced UFA's since we're in the drivers seat cap wise and we have a nice balance of youth and veterans.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Im not saying I don't want Carlson or Muzzin or these massive upgrades - I just think people are expecting too much from a GM and a team taht barely made the playoffs. I think Shero sees a lot in our d prospects and current young dmen (besides Severson)

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
...which is why I proposed trading Severson and a forward for Muzzin, who is a LHD.

Shero has made significant "out of the blue" trades in each of the three years he has been here. I don't know why we should expect something different this year.

Like I said, we need top end DMen. None of our young guys are going to ever be that. We are going to have to draft one (will take a few years at minimum to develop) or trade for one.

I’m usually on the same page as you ZBC, but I think your Severson+Zacha offer for Muzzin on the trade board is a bit much from our end.

I’d do Zacha+... maybe even Zacha+2018 1st... but I wouldn’t want to purge both PZ and Sevs in the same deal.

They need scoring and are stacked on D anyway. I think we’d value Severson more than they would.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Shero's trades have been either predicted way ahead of time (Devils D for Oilers F, Henrique for Vats) or completely out of the blue (MoJo and Palms). So if we want a trade to happen we either need to talk about it a lot or not mention it at all

OK everyone.... repeat after me...

Lovejoy for McDavid...
Lovejoy for McDavid...
Lovejoy for McDavid...

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Im not saying I don't want Carlson or Muzzin or these massive upgrades - I just think people are expecting too much from a GM and a team taht barely made the playoffs. I think Shero sees a lot in our d prospects and current young dmen (besides Severson)

I’m all about managing expectations, but I’m not sure why we should just resign ourselves to what we have.

Shero has made a large-scale impact move every year since taking over here. He pulled off two last summer, and sniped Vatanen last November.

There’s no reason to believe he’s just going to ride the status quo. It won’t happen.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
I’m all about managing expectations, but I’m not sure why we should just resign ourselves to what we have.

Shero has made a large-scale impact move every year since taking over here. He pulled off two last summer, and sniped Vatanen last November.

There’s no reason to believe he’s just going to ride the status quo. It won’t happen.
Im not saying we have to stick with what we have - but Id rather upgrade the LD and spend money elsewhere up front where we need it. Our scoring isnt going to magically go up outside of Palmieri playing more games and Hischier adding a year. We need to spend on offense as much as we do defense

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I’m usually on the same page as you ZBC, but I think your Severson+Zacha offer for Muzzin on the trade board is a bit much from our end.

I’d do Zacha+... maybe even Zacha+2018 1st... but I wouldn’t want to purge both PZ and Sevs in the same deal.

They need scoring and are stacked on D anyway. I think we’d value Severson more than they would.

With Doughty stating that he's pulling his best "Cuba Gooding Jr" impression next summer, I think they might value Damon to cover the possible loss of their #1 guy. I'm not saying that Severson will replace Drew's departure, but would solidify their right side if it were to happen.

As for that package, it is a little pricey but you have to give to get and Muzzin is a legit top pairing, shutdown dman who can also generate some offense. We'd be giving up alot of potential but we'd be acquiring a sure thing on our blueline, on a side that needs a major boost.

We'd lose our 2nd line center but I can't see why McLeod couldn't fill his void if need be. Worst case, we just slide Zajac back in that role and have McLeod as our 3rd line center.

We have alot of young guys pushing for a roster spot and we'll have to clear some space sooner rather then later and this type of deal could benefit both teams.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

my assumption would be we would sign Carlson in which case we wouldn't need Severson anymore

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
Who are they adding on offense - because defense surely isnt the only problem. We need another top 6-9 player and I foresee Bratt taking a step back until he adds size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad