Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
PZ: "Management told me what I need to do this off-season "

Any guesses aside from toughening up?
Get quicker?

I'd say get more aggressive/more "selfish" but that's a hard offseason improvement.

I actually thought playing a tough physical game was one of his strengths towards the end of the year.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I just really, really don't see the draw for him there. Other than the "draft team" sentimental side, other organizations could offer him much better situations. Including ours.
Barzal is like the only redeeming quality on the Island.

Does he think that he and Barzal could be the core of championship team? Because I think winning would trump all in terms of his decision making.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Get quicker?

I'd say get more aggressive/more "selfish" but that's a hard offseason improvement.

I actually thought playing a tough physical game was one of his strengths towards the end of the year.

It was, and he unfortunately moved away from that come playoff time (for the most part. He did show glimmers)

Three things Zacha needs to work on is shooting more, speeding up his release (has to stop clutching), and get more physical.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
I could see us signing Maroon as a longer term bottom 6 guy, Boyle comes across as a gone after his contract type.

Problem then is Boyle likely ends up in the press box - which isnt bad at all hes a good character guy.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I wouldnt have a problem with three years - what will he make, 2-2.5 mil?. hes good on the PP and we need that grit because Boyle can only do so much and I think Maroon was better even though he looks lazier.
Boyle has no grit. He's the softest "big man" I've ever seen.

Reactions: EdisonDevil

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I wouldnt have a problem with three years - what will he make, 2-2.5 mil?. hes good on the PP and we need that grit because Boyle can only do so much and I think Maroon was better even though he looks lazier.
Maroon is going to get close to $4 million. No chance I'd give him 3 years.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I disagree.
He's just too slow to get to the spot to hit much. But he's tough
Ok, maybe I exaggerated my comment a bit, but he really is soft for his size. I just don't see him winning board battles or battles in front of the net for my liking. I definitely feel Maroon is significantly better at both.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
How is it disrespectful? He's a UFA, he can sign wherever he wants. He doesn't owe the Islanders anything.

Also not to mention that if anything, the Islanders owe him. He's been on one of the most team-friendly contracts in the entire league and the Isles STILL haven't built a competitive team around him.

There are many directions that could be taken and I'm not trying to imply that JT is entitled to a good team, but at this point it's almost like he's been the Aaron Rodgers of the NHL. I don't think he signs in NJ, but if he were to get to UFA, it's entirely up to him (plus I'm sure Tyler Seguin is keeping a close eye on the situation as well, as he's coming up for UFA after next season)

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Maroon is just way too slow. Especially in a day and age where seemingly every season speed gets more and more important
And I thought that became more apparent in the playoffs. Watching the regular season I thought we could live with his slowness because he did bring some very nice qualities. But vs Tampa my opinion changed.

And while his physical nature is not something we have in abundance, his position is. We can pencil in a very solid looking fwd lineup right now without Maroon or any other additions. And even more so on the left side.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There are many directions that could be taken and I'm not trying to imply that JT is entitled to a good team, but at this point it's almost like he's been the Aaron Rodgers of the NHL. I don't think he signs in NJ, but if he were to get to UFA, it's entirely up to him (plus I'm sure Tyler Seguin is keeping a close eye on the situation as well, as he's coming up for UFA after next season)
He's not, but he is very much in position to make it a top priority.

Stamkos is different because he stayed with his own team, but I wouldn't be surprised if like Stamkos, Tavares didn't sign for less then expected to get with a winning club.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
And I thought that became more apparent in the playoffs. Watching the regular season I thought we could live with his slowness because he did bring some very nice qualities. But vs Tampa my opinion changed.

And while his physical nature is not something we have in abundance, his position is. We can pencil in a very solid looking fwd lineup right now without Maroon or any other additions. And even more so on the left side.
For a team that was way too reliant on scoring in transition at times it was nice to see a half court offense for a change with Maroon. It's a good mix to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad