Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Defense that is filled?

Are you serious?

Every position is filled throughout the year, and guess what? It's the GM's job to replace players, either through trade, demotion, retirement, or releasing from UFA/RFA.

If they took your approach, teams wouldn't change for years.

If a GM isn't constantly trying to upgrade every position they can, they aren't doing their job.

That's the most idiotic logic I've ever seen.

This x10000

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
If they retained 50% of McDavid and we added a prospect like Baddock, I agree I think it could be done

You might be onto something. If they twisted our arm I'd also throw in throw in Jan Mandat but that's only if they retain 50%.

So it's Lovejoy, Baddock, and Mandat for McDavid at 50%.

Reactions: My3Sons

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
You might be onto something. If they twisted our arm I'd also throw in throw in Jan Mandat but that's only if they retain 50%.

So it's Lovejoy, Baddock, and Mandat for McDavid at 50%.

Idk man. I wouldn't want to give up Mandat at this point. I think we should hold on to him, UNLESS Edmonton adds RNH or Draisatl to the deal. but Draisatl has to be retained salary too

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
In seriousness, Tavares is a dream, and Carlson is a realistic goal. If Devils can sign Carlson, I would immediately look to see what a package of Severson + Zacha could return in regards to a young top 4 LHD. But then, say Shero is able to sign JC, and then finds a deal that he likes for Zacha + Severson, then the Devils would have a huge gaping hole at center if McLeod doesn't burst onto the scene. Hischier Zajac Boyle Coleman down the middle would NOT be good. But I think it is easier to find a serviceable 2c than a young top 4 LHD, which is why, regardless of the hole it may leave at center, I hope Zacha + Severson are traded for somebody like Hanifin IF Shero is able to recruit Carlson.

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
I want nothing to do with Carlson at 8mil and thats what he will get. Also dont want Tavares at anything more than 10.

Stephen Gionta

Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I want nothing to do with Carlson at 8mil and thats what he will get

I think 7 years, 7-7.5 million for Carlson is more than reasonable. Maybe he takes a little discount like many players have before, you never know. Reports out there are that Carlson is seeking 8.5 million. But that doesn't mean he will get an offer of 8.5 million from a team he wants to play for

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Ugh, just everything about Tavares is what this team needs.

Seems like every team that had our number this year had center depth. Being able to run 2 lines of scoring, 1 Checking Line, and 1 Energy line would make John Hynes cry tears of joy.

Hall-Hischier-Bratt
MarJo-JT-Palmieri
Zacha-Zajac-Coleman
Wood-Boyle-Noesen

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
But since it is fun to do this sometimes lets say Tavares does sign here, as well as Da Haan and we trade for Muzzin with Severson+1st

Hall-Hischier-Zacha
Johansson-Tavares-Palmieri
Coleman-Zajac-Noesen
Wood-Boyle-Anderson/4th line signing

Muzzin-Vatanen
De Haan-Butcher
Greene-Mueller/Santini

Born and Raised

Apr 22, 2018
I still think JT ends up re-signing with the Isles (after becoming a UFA and seeing what’s out there)
Really though? You dont think that him leaving is based on a lack of confidence in the team and wanting to win? The same team who is apparently keeping Snow and Weight?

Unless a major move for the Islanders happens between now and then I doubt he re-signs - this isn't a money thing

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
my assumption would be we would sign Carlson in which case we wouldn't need Severson anymore
If we were to sign Carlson then the Sev's for Muzzin is a much easier trade.

I'm def not adding Zacha though.

I'm prob not adding McLeod either. I am very into the idea of a young team that will continue to grow over the next 10 years. So I'm not into trading a 24 old and a 20 year old for a 30 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->