Post-Game Talk: The 2017-18 New Jersey Devils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Trading Severson++ to help our left side would be the best thing for our team since it would balance out everything on our blueline.

I'd like to trade Severson simply because he does have some value now as a young defenseman, and I just dont think he's going to pan out as a very successful NHL player.

Problem is I also dont like selling low, and Severson definitely hurt his value over the last few months.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'd like to trade Severson simply because he does have some value now as a young defenseman, and I just dont think he's going to pan out as a very successful NHL player.

Problem is I also dont like selling low, and Severson definitely hurt his value over the last few months.

The guy has value because he's still young and learning the defensive side of the game is the easiest thing to do at the NHL level but you have to understand the game and Damon is probably the best player I've seen who has possibly the worst hockey IQ.

He's been a train wreck in his own zone since stepping foot in the NHL and hasn't progressed one bit in that regard. To me, that's the most alarming part of his game and the main reason why I'm not big fan of Severson, because he's just as big a liability as Lovejoy, but in the opposite way.

Lovejoy can't keep up with the pace of the game and he's productive when he doesn't have to skate where as Severson is the opposite. He's productive when skating but once the play slows down in our zone, he's pretty much useless.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Yea count me skeptical we actually trade Severson. Even if we sign Carlson, I'd much much rather trade Santini but I doubt he has any big value.

Maybe look at a guy like Hickey in FA

the more I think about it, the less I want carlson. not a knock on him as a player, but he plays the right side and is going to get paaaaaaaid. I’m fine for overpaying to finally get a true #1 defenseman, but it should be someone on the left side, which we desperately need. for that reason I would again suggest we target jack johnson. hickey would be a good consolation prize

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
the more I think about it, the less I want carlson. not a knock on him as a player, but he plays the right side and is going to get paaaaaaaid. I’m fine for overpaying to finally get a true #1 defenseman, but it should be someone on the left side, which we desperately need. for that reason I would again suggest we target jack johnson. hickey would be a good consolation prize

Jack Johnson is not good.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016

The difference between what JJ will ask and what JC will get isn't all that big.

JJ needs all that coin he can get after getting robbed by his parents and it's probably his last big pay day, so I don't see him taking anything less than 7M$ per and there's no way I want him on that type of deal.

Last edited:

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
LOL... 2 games. Severson was a healthy scratch down the stretch and the first two games of the postseason but you can continue with your narrative that he's "elite" despite his poor play.

Remove Vatanen from our lineup and it'll show... remove Severson and we'll be just fine. Honestly, I have no idea why you're so in love with a player that isn't a vital core of this team and keeps on making brain dead decisions more often then not.

Give Mueller the same number of games Severson already has under his belt and I'd be willing to bet that Severson would've been healthy scratched instead of Mueller early on in the season.

It's funny that you downplay Mueller's attributes when it's those same attributes that earned him a spot over "dime a dozen no defense, below average offense" Severson.

Wow - relax.

The point was that Severson was scratched for Lovejoy. Not Mueller. Why are you comparing Severson and Mueller anyway? They're not even close to the same player.

As for Mueller, he only played in 28 games - and some of those were him coming back from injury / layoff. I'm not sure anyone has a clear read on what he can do yet. I do think he showed enough that he should be penciled into the Devils roster next year. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure we know enough.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Jack Johnson is not good.

oh ok, never mind

The difference between what JJ will ask and what JK will get isn't all that big.

is JK john carlson? if so, that may be true, but johnson plays the left side, so it's worth the money to me

JJ needs all that coin he can get after getting robbed by his parents and it's probably his last big pay day, so I don't see him taking anything less than 7M$ per and there's no way I want him on that type of deal.

no offense but that's one of the dumbest reasons to not pursue someone in FA i've ever read. i think he'll get offered somewhere in the $30M/5 year range, which i would gladly sign up for.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Wow - relax.

The point was that Severson was scratched for Lovejoy. Not Mueller. Why are you comparing Severson and Mueller anyway? They're not even close to the same player.

As for Mueller, he only played in 28 games - and some of those were him coming back from injury / layoff. I'm not sure anyone has a clear read on what he can do yet. I do think he showed enough that he should be penciled into the Devils roster next year. Beyond that, though, I'm not sure we know enough.

Severson was scratched for Mueller, not Lovejoy. Hynes wanted someone who knew how to defend in his own zone and removed Severson from our lineup in favour of Mueller.

I'm not comparing both players, since they don't play the same way and you actually made my point. I said that if Mueller had the same number of games under his belt as Severson does, since both players are 23 and 22 years of age, he'd be regular and Damon would be on the outside looking in.

It's just mind boggling that everyone hates Moore yet are in love with Severson. Both players are almost a carbon copy of each other... The skate real well, their offense is below average and they suck in their own end.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
oh ok, never mind

is JK john carlson? if so, that may be true, but johnson plays the left side, so it's worth the money to me

no offense but that's one of the dumbest reasons to not pursue someone in FA i've ever read. i think he'll get offered somewhere in the $30M/5 year range, which i would gladly sign up for.

The guy isn't worth the money was the point I was trying to make.

I'd rather keep the cap space and trade assets for a legit LHD instead of signing a average player to a inflated deal for several years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
None of the LDs in free agency are better than running with what we currently have.

A guy like Jack Johnson on a show-me deal wouldn't be bad, but I'd rather give Butcher and Mueller a shot then add another mediocre second pairing LD.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
oh ok, never mind

holy crap no no no no

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
oh ok, never mind

Are you confusing Jack Johnson with somebody else?

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
LOL... 2 games. Severson was a healthy scratch down the stretch and the first two games of the postseason but you can continue with your narrative that he's "elite" despite his poor play.

Remove Vatanen from our lineup and it'll show... remove Severson and we'll be just fine. Honestly, I have no idea why you're so in love with a player that isn't a vital core of this team and keeps on making brain dead decisions more often then not.

Give Mueller the same number of games Severson already has under his belt and I'd be willing to bet that Severson would've been healthy scratched instead of Mueller early on in the season.

It's funny that you downplay Mueller's attributes when it's those same attributes that earned him a spot over "dime a dozen no defense, below average offense" Severson.
It’s funny because you’re hilariously wrong. These aren’t comparable players in terms of ability or value. Mueller didn’t have a single goal or primary assist 5 on 5 last season. He’s solid defensively against weak competition, that’s it. He doesn’t bring any offense whatsoever and he hasn’t shown he can handle top defensive assignments. When he’s been given them, he’s crumpled. He’s dime a dozen.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Severson was scratched for Mueller, not Lovejoy. Hynes wanted someone who knew how to defend in his own zone and removed Severson from our lineup in favour of Mueller.

I'm not comparing both players, since they don't play the same way and you actually made my point. I said that if Mueller had the same number of games under his belt as Severson does, since both players are 23 and 22 years of age, he'd be regular and Damon would be on the outside looking in.

It's just mind boggling that everyone hates Moore yet are in love with Severson. Both players are almost a carbon copy of each other... The skate real well, their offense is below average and they suck in their own end.
You see, this is stupid and wrong. And it devalues every single take you have on the player.

Reactions: Billdo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad