Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He played pretty good for the most part. He will shine in Vegas. You have to remember that his brother PK was badly treated in Boston. Its hard to bring your best when that happens.

He was incapable of, without leaving any doubt in the mind of coaches, locking down the #1 job in Providence, sorry, his brother is booed everywhere he goes, by your logic, the only place he could play is Vegas with no history.

Bottom line, his job is/was to stop pucks, he didn`t do this well enough

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
There was a lot of vitriol for Malcolm in Providence near the end. People actually yelling you suck during the anthem and such. It was sad, because I think there are other things at play and I'll stop right there.

But seriously, there were times when the team would just play bad in front of him, and he would take the blame. I recall one game where it was 1-0 most of the way and the goal given up could really be blamed on an awful turnover leading to a break away by Alex Grant....Providence lost 3-0 including an empty netter, and people were storming out declaring it was Subban's fault. Didn't know he was drafted for his goal scoring too.

For what it's worth goalies are often the first player to take blame most of the time from uneducated/casual fans. It's nothing new for fans to boo their own goalie - no matter how idiotic it is. If he can't handle that type of stuff, he may never be cut out for the NHL.

However, I know what you are implying with other things at play and if true that is very sad and would certainly be a distraction to most players in his shoes.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
For what it's worth goalies are often the first player to take blame most of the time from uneducated/casual fans. It's nothing new for fans to boo their own goalie - no matter how idiotic it is. If he can't handle that type of stuff, he may never be cut out for the NHL.

However, I know what you are implying with other things at play and if true that is very sad and would certainly be a distraction to most players in his shoes.

Hey I never said fans were bright, probably more a comment on them than anything. There's no doubt he wasn't elite but he did not get the passes other guys did.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
Personally I am not happy losing him and yes I would rather he be the back up than lose him . Suddenly everyone thinks A.K is someone who can't be replaced easilly . I am not saying Subban is better yet but we kept a run of the mill back up over a guy who can still be something good and my guess is he will be.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Personally I am not happy losing him and yes I would rather he be the back up than lose him . Suddenly everyone thinks A.K is someone who can't be replaced easilly . I am not saying Subban is better yet but we kept a run of the mill back up over a guy who can still be something good and my guess is he will be.

Based on what, exactly? Can't be his stellar AHL performances, as he was passed by McIntyre last season.

ps I don't think anyone thinks AK is anything special, just better than Subban now

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I don't understand why some people don't like the move. He's had time to impress. It hasn't happened. Time for the team to move on. Why take up a spot with someone that you don't think is going to make it? How long do you wait?

Reactions: StrBender

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Fact of the matter is the Bruins have not done what they really needed to do as far as the back up situation is concerned. That is go out a get a legitimate back up goalie that can:

1 - play a large numbers of games so Rask can rest.
2 - be good enough to actually push Rask for the #1 position.

This ensures that the team has faith in the back up, gives time for Rask to heal and/or recuperate from a heavy work load and in the same breath ensures he does not get complacent that he has the #1 job locked down.

Kind of like when Rask was the back up to Thomas.

^ All of this would have ensured that there wasn't as much pressure on the goalies in the minors and give them the time to develop. Which is needed, especially in this position.

Last edited:

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Right now Vegas is carrying 11 forwards 9 healthy defenseman and 3 goalies. They are going to make some sort of move soon. I think it is intelligent of them to hold the 23 best assets regardless of position.

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/roster

That means Vegas and Ottawa seem to be buyers at the forward position. Ottawa looking for the best player now and Vegas looking for the best long term asset that can play now. I wonder if we aren't talking to both teams.
Vegas is still carrying the unbalanced roster. I am really interested to see if they start the season tomorrow night with only 11 forwards on the active roster.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Funny thing too, looks like Vegas has Subban as trade bait to fill out their roster.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It seems most see him as having higher upside and downside then Khudobin. Would you agree?

I haven't seen him in preseason, but based on the bit I seen last year in Colorado, where I thought he was pretty good for a lousy team, and he played quite well at the World's for Canada, I would take him over Khudobin right now and moving forward. I think he's better, he's younger (age 25), and had more upside.

That being said, it's a little bit concerning that Vegas is willing to go with Subban as the back-up and cut ties with Pickard just after selecting him in the expansion draft. Maybe he hasn't performed well in camp.

In Khudobin's defense even though I am not a fan, he has had a good camp and performed well in preseason.

Reactions: HustleB

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Yea, I am sure Edmonton is ready to send McDavid over now that Subban is available. :)

Lol, my point is if we had an idea that we would waive Subban why not trade him for something instead of losing him for nothing.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't understand why some people don't like the move. He's had time to impress. It hasn't happened. Time for the team to move on. Why take up a spot with someone that you don't think is going to make it? How long do you wait?

I'm not impressed with Khudobin either. How long do we wait for him? I mean he had what, maybe 3-4 good games last year? And he's 8 years older than Subban. I would have at least given him a chance to suck this season before losing him for nothing. But what do I know? Our management has always made the best personnel choices and I fully trust their judgment on these matters. (that's sarcasm, but I don't know the emoticon for it)

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
Also... Calvin Pickard, just waived by Vegas, had better stats on a worse team than Khudobin.

Just throwing that out there.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
There's a zero percent chance they didn't try to trade him before waiving him.
Didn't someone post an article saying the Bruins did not try to trade Subban this time? They wanted him to stay a Bruim, he has potential. They just crossed their fingers and hoped.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I can tell you the Bruins are disappointed that they lost Subban. I still think the kid will make it (I'm ready for Joe to say "based on what?" - but I won't answer that again because I've already said why-many times).

Yes McIntyre passed him on the depth chart and again, I would have been disappointed in Zane if he hadn't - he's older and has played the position a lot longer.

Anyway, as I said, Bruins thought they'd be able to slip him through and are disappointed he was claimed. Probably the number one reason they signed Kyle Keyser just a couple of hours later.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I can tell you the Bruins are disappointed that they lost Subban. I still think the kid will make it (I'm ready for Joe to say "based on what?" - but I won't answer that again because I've already said why-many times).

Yes McIntyre passed him on the depth chart and again, I would have been disappointed in Zane if he hadn't - he's older and has played the position a lot longer.

Anyway, as I said, Bruins thought they'd be able to slip him through and are disappointed he was claimed. Probably the number one reason they signed Kyle Keyser just a couple of hours later.

Dom, you have seen WAY more of Subban than I ever will, so I will have to defer to you as far as knowledge of his game and potential goes. However, the fact remains that at this time, Subban was not ready to be a regular backup and Khudobin was a better fit there. MacIntyre also outplayed him in the AHL last season and Subban was no longer waiver exempt.

I have nothing against Subban and do wish him well. My frustration with this thread is people blaming the team for the situation. What exactly could the B’s have done differently to make this better? Subban was headed into his 5th year as a Pro and despite enormous athletic ability and potential, has yet to establish himself. The team was in between a rock and a hard place and were forced to waive him and hope he didn’t get claimed. Unfortunately, he was claimed and that’s all there is to it.

Reactions: Sevendust

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Lol, my point is if we had an idea that we would waive Subban why not trade him for something instead of losing him for nothing.
Subban had zero trade value. Zero.

Standard of play, requirement to go through waivers, etc.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Subban still can make it as a goaltender in this league. He has taken noticeable steps since his junior year, had a big setback in Providence a few years back with the puck to the throat. It's amazing to see where he's at considering he didn't even play goalie until he was 12, which considering most players are playing their same positions (or at least just skater or goalie) since they were 4 or 5, this is pretty significant. To my untrained eye, I noticed significant progress in his game from the few I watched in Belleville to his 4 years in Providence, where I saw him a lot. He will always get unfairly judged due to his draft position (and maybe rightly so), but he was as raw as it gets, moreso than even a guy like Jankowski, who Feaster knew would take YEARS before he fully developed, if he ever did (which he has). Subban may be looked at very differently had he been drafted in round 3 instead of 1, but so be it.

Bruins just weren't in a situation that they could do much though. Waivers are a thing, and Khudobin was the better suited backup. Sometimes these things just happen. Wish him the best of luck in Vegas, or wherever else he may end up.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008

IF you were GM, would you have made the same move (without knowing ahead of time he'd be taken): Keep Khudobin, and waive Subban?

Also, isn't Vegas top priority for Waivers? If that's the case, you have to wonder if there were more claims.

Also, do you think the Bruins reclaim him if he's waived by Vegas?

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Dom, you have seen WAY more of Subban than I ever will, so I will have to defer to you as far as knowledge of his game and potential goes. However, the fact remains that at this time, Subban was not ready to be a regular backup and Khudobin was a better fit there. MacIntyre also outplayed him in the AHL last season and Subban was no longer waiver exempt.

I have nothing against Subban and do wish him well. My frustration with this thread is people blaming the team for the situation. What exactly could the B’s have done differently to make this better? Subban was headed into his 5th year as a Pro and despite enormous athletic ability and potential, has yet to establish himself. The team was in between a rock and a hard place and were forced to waive him and hope he didn’t get claimed. Unfortunately, he was claimed and that’s all there is to it.

I agree there is no reason to blame the organization, really there is no one to blame including Subban, who had made improvements and was doing fantastic when he got a puck in the throat. It took him a full season to recover and MacIntyre played well enough in Subban's absence to win the spot, he didn't really outplay Subban in an all things being equal kind of setting. But by the time Subban was back on form from a year and a half ago, he hasn't proven enough at the NHL level and is no longer waiver exempt. There was no way they could justify keeping him on the roster but at the same time he is still a question mark and it sucks to lose him. From all accounts he is a good kid too and would have fit in the dressing room, but now maybe he can be a foundational piece for the Knights in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad