Waived: Subban on Waivers (Claimed by Vegas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I'm thrilled he's finally gone and we wont have to suffer the embarrassment of a Subban in a Bruins uniform again.
How is this young man an embarrassment in a Bruins uniform? The kid tried and while he hasn't been a total success, to call him an embarrassment just seems wrong. I wish him success in the future. I think it's too bad that his future is now not with us.

Reactions: hoss75 and Kovi

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
I agree Subban is no big loss and he will be on waivers again before the season is done. Hated this pick when they made it, I think they did it partly just to annoy a pro habs crowd. All that being said I wonder if they could have packaged Subban and C Miller to get Vegas to select Beleskey?

It's always easy in hindsight, isn't it? Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I'll assume that Subban will have one stellar game for Vegas sometime in October and this place will implode. Then he'll most likely fade into obscurity, jump around for a bit on waivers and end up in the AHL again.

He's simply not very good and certainly hasn't improved enough since he turned pro. There were always question marks around his game and pretty much all of those still remain. As an asset, it's obviously a loss that he was claimed but he very likely wouldn't have been in contention this year in any case. McIntyre at least seemed way closer to the NHL than Subban did last season and not much happened to change that perception over the course of summer and camps.

This would have been a big meh if he 1) wasn't a 1st round pick and 2) didn't finally have a good game against Chicago last week.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
if the B`s just picked Subban up off waivers for themselves after the career he`s had to this point, there would be about 2 pages of posts with most being underwhelmed about the pick up

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
How does everyone feel if Khudobin also s
It's always easy in hindsight, isn't it? Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I'll assume that Subban will have one stellar game for Vegas sometime in October and this place will implode. Then he'll most likely fade into obscurity, jump around for a bit on waivers and end up in the AHL again.

He's simply not very good and certainly hasn't improved enough since he turned pro. There were always question marks around his game and pretty much all of those still remain. As an asset, it's obviously a loss that he was claimed but he very likely wouldn't have been in contention this year in any case. McIntyre at least seemed way closer to the NHL than Subban did last season and not much happened to change that perception over the course of summer and camps.

This would have been a big meh if he 1) wasn't a 1st round pick and 2) didn't finally have a good game against Chicago last week.

This isn't completely true. IF and only IF Khudobin satisfied our backup position would most people be ok with this as well. Fact is Khudobin doesn't. He's consistently inconsistent. Khudobin could easily lose those games, too.

Payoff is greater if Subban figures it out. Payoff is adequate if Khudobin figures it out. If they both suck, well, that's that. Khudobin needs to not be a mess like he was last season (his last THREE NHL seasons have been subpar) AND he's 31 years old. Subban, a young goalie, could turn it around, Khudobin, I don't see being much better than he ever has been, and he hasn't even been close to his best for a while.

Anyways, whatever, it is what it is, I just hope for the teams sake Khudobin doesn't screw it up. If I remember correctly, Sweeney's pro player analysis has been rather crap, so him picking Khudobin over Subban at this stage doesn't fill me with confidence either.

Giacomo

Sep 26, 2017
He played pretty good for the most part. He will shine in Vegas. You have to remember that his brother PK was badly treated in Boston. Its hard to bring your best when that happens.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He played pretty good for the most part. He will shine in Vegas. You have to remember that his brother PK was badly treated in Boston. Its hard to bring your best when that happens.

That is so confusing. He did not play well in Boston. At all. What did he have, like 40 minutes of good play? PK being booed had nothing to do with his inability to keep pucks out of the net.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

The Bruins gave him four years in PRO to develop and “shine”. His inability to do so has ZERO to do with his brother or his last name.

I am no goaltending expert, but I liken the Subban issue to the “running QB” in the NFL. When a QB who ran in college gets to the NFL, they need to learn pretty quick that they are going to get killed if they don’t change from a “run first” QB to a throwing QB that uses his athletic ability to escape and prolong plays. The problem with this is that the athletic ability and the temptation to fall back on it is always there. Some guys make the transition and become very successful (Steve Young, Rodgers, McNair, etc) and some don’t (Griffin, Vick, the kid from Texas whose name escapes me).

Subban may be the most athletic goalie in the league, and that’s great when he’s down and out and needs to make a save that he probably shouldn’t. However, the thing that he needs to become a good everyday goalie is technique. From what I have seen, Subban has a tendency to fall back on his athleticism too much and plays too deep in his crease, at the expense of good positioning. The B’s recognized that and have supposedly been stressing it, they just ran out of time.

If he develops his technique, the sky is the limit. If he doesn’t, he will never be anything more than a good AHL goalie.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I find it very strange that Vegas would claim him. Since he's coming off waivers, doesn't that mean he has to be on their NHL roster? They already have Fleury and Pickard, both healthy, last I checked. Plus, they have as many as 10 NHL capable D, many on 1-way deals. Will be interesting to see how they manage their roster before 5pm today...
Right now Vegas is carrying 11 forwards 9 healthy defenseman and 3 goalies. They are going to make some sort of move soon. I think it is intelligent of them to hold the 23 best assets regardless of position.

https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/roster

That means Vegas and Ottawa seem to be buyers at the forward position. Ottawa looking for the best player now and Vegas looking for the best long term asset that can play now. I wonder if we aren't talking to both teams.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Man, some of us can whine about anything, huh? Subban was beyond terrible almost every game and we should have held onto him? For real?

It's not that. It's that they wanted to "stash" him and they didn't get away with it because someone in the NHL wanted him for whatever reason. It's not that they even like him, it's just the idea the plan fell through and now they can complain about how inept the front office is....for picking him, for holding on to him, for trying to slip him thru waivers....it's a neverending cycle on a fan discussion board.

Reactions: William Faulkner

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah but PK wasn't treated like crap in Providence.

I'm not being a smart ass -- just keeping it real. Malcolm seems like a good kid and wish him well. However, he barely played in Boston -- almost exclusively in Providence. He was just ok there -- and I think that has much more to do with him not being a seasoned goalie rather than how his brother is treated by Boston fans.

Puck to trachea probably did more damage to confidence/mental approach to game than treatment of PK. PK's a big boy and can handle crap from opposing teams -- hell, I think he thrives off it. I'm sure Malcolm gets that.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
There was a lot of vitriol for Malcolm in Providence near the end. People actually yelling you suck during the anthem and such. It was sad, because I think there are other things at play and I'll stop right there.

But seriously, there were times when the team would just play bad in front of him, and he would take the blame. I recall one game where it was 1-0 most of the way and the goal given up could really be blamed on an awful turnover leading to a break away by Alex Grant....Providence lost 3-0 including an empty netter, and people were storming out declaring it was Subban's fault. Didn't know he was drafted for his goal scoring too.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
There was a lot of vitriol for Malcolm in Providence near the end. People actually yelling you suck during the anthem and such. It was sad, because I think there are other things at play and I'll stop right there.

But seriously, there were times when the team would just play bad in front of him, and he would take the blame. I recall one game where it was 1-0 most of the way and the goal given up could really be blamed on an awful turnover leading to a break away by Alex Grant....Providence lost 3-0 including an empty netter, and people were storming out declaring it was Subban's fault. Didn't know he was drafted for his goal scoring too.
The kid seems to have been treated unfairly from what you say. Not surprising as I feel he's also being treated unfairly by many in this thread. Sad.

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
A goaltenders psyche is a lot different than most players. With the issues that it seems like he had to endure in Providence, it probably made things more difficult. Not an excuse, just truth.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The kid seems to have been treated unfairly from what you say. Not surprising as I feel he's also being treated unfairly by many in this thread. Sad.

Oh the horror of it all. A minor league goalie didn't play well, fans expressed their disappointment and he is let go. I for one will light a candle every night for him and pray for his well being.

This is just silly...it is sports folks.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
You seem to me like you might be a hoarder in real life.

"Ooh, an old GI Joe missing a leg. Can't throw that away. Let's keep it in the special place along with this blue bic pen in it's original packaging.... one day that's gonna be a collector and worth a looooooooot of money!!"

Salary cap, roster caps, waivers -- they all mean something you know??? You can't keep every player who might possibly hold value one day. Seriously, you admitted you weren't ready for Subban to be a regular backup this season. Ergo -- WAIVERS.

It's not that frigging difficult and it has nothing whatsoever to do with "being treated unfairly".

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Not a big loss, he was never going to pass Rask for the starter here. He's not consistent enough to be a backup either right now. By the time we need to replace Rask I'd bet that we have 3 more goalie prospects who are just as promising or more so than Subban.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

The fact that his brother is PK, has nothing to do with how poorly he performed every time he was in the NHL. Good luck to him in Vegas, but to be frank, I don't think that he will ever have a career in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad