Strategies to beat Vegas?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What have I missed about Lowry why he is not 100 percent?

Been working out of town long hours not much time to dig around here...
He got injured before playoffs and is still great but his shoulder is injured so he's not 100% in terms of physicality

nitro

Feb 26, 2018
First post !

I think The Jets are likely a bit fatigued, Vegas has had some time to recuperate , the Jets have not.... As good as these guys are they are still human and playing at the pace, frequency and intensity they have been playing for the last several weeks is going to take a heavy toll.... Jets played 13 games while the Knights played 9 games right ? So the Knights have had an extra 8 or 9 free days to recover during their playoff run that the Jets have not had...IMO that would make a difference, especially in Hockey which requires the highest levels of intensity and endurance.. Imagine if a boxer had to fight every second day for 10 fights straight ? LOL ...I think that if both teams were equally fresh the Jets would maul the Knights like we seen in the 3rd period of game 3... But right now I think our boys are run down and feeling the after effects of their 7 game war with Nashville !

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
First post !

I think The Jets are likely a bit fatigued, Vegas has had some time to recuperate , the Jets have not.... As good as these guys are they are still human and playing at the pace, frequency and intensity they have been playing for the last several weeks is going to take a heavy toll.... Jets played 13 games while the Knights played 9 games right ? So the Knights have had an extra 8 or 9 free days to recover during their playoff run that the Jets have not had...IMO that would make a difference, especially in Hockey which requires the highest levels of intensity and endurance.. Imagine if a boxer had to fight every second day for 10 fights straight ? LOL ...I think that if both teams were equally fresh the Jets would maul the Knights like we seen in the 3rd period of game 3... But right now I think our boys are run down and feeling the after effects of their 7 game war with Nashville !
Just the luck of being in the central the toughest division so I don't know how teams overcome that. But Nashville made it to the finals last year. Don't remember when a central team last won it.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
First post !

You should post more often. Well said!

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
First post !

Great Post...

Keep them coming...

Sure 82 games and now playoffs...

Our team has been playing more or less playoff hockey since almost from the beginning oft the season..

Don't forget the prize they are all playing for...

Stanley has a Cup full of extra energy to play with...

I hope you're wrong...

Never be afraid to post k...

You have every right to your belief's as everyone else here...

Winnipeg Jets HF Boards is a great place to be...

Go :jets Go

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just the luck of being in the central the toughest division so I don't know how teams overcome that. But Nashville made it to the finals last year. Don't remember when a central team last won it.
2015 Chicago.....not that long ago.

Reactions: GNP

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Limit our dmen in pinching. Vegas won't "tic-tac-toe" any goals, so hang back to avoid giving up odd man rushes and break always.

Dump and chase as the Vegas D are weak when forechecked.

Stop trying to stick handle through the neutral zone. Vegas swarms players doing that and feeds off of the turnovers.

Watch the godamn points!!! I' tired of seeing Jets wingers float to the middle than scramble back to the wall when the puck is fired around. Looking at you especially, Captain.

Reactions: kanadalainen

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
dress lemuiex for the game have him run fluery and blindside reaves then take off his skate and attack marchesault. at least thats what i wld do if i was the coach.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Play fast for an entire game not only 3rd period. Play Lowry at 2LW and move Copp to 3C while moving Tanev back down to the 3rd line. Play the trap for the entire first period and for the 2 minutes after every time we score. Mix the lines rapidly all game.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
- Replace the frigging Tanev with Armia (what a brainfart, cannot believe P'Mo actually thought Tanev could replace Ehlers or even be top six forward in NHL f*** playoffs)
- Move Laine to LW => LSA
- For f*** sakes, replace Buff on a PP with Morrisey who can actually distribute the puck. Buff's main role isn't to score goals on the PP but either find Wheelers or Laine and he simply just isn't capable of making quick sharp passes whenever there's that small window of opportunity

If one happens I'm surprised, two takes a miracle and three means that P'Mo is out for whatever reason and an assistant coach has taken over.

Revolver

Mar 22, 2013
Winnipeg
Limit our dmen in pinching. Vegas won't "tic-tac-toe" any goals, so hang back to avoid giving up odd man rushes and break always.

Dump and chase as the Vegas D are weak when forechecked.

Stop trying to stick handle through the neutral zone. Vegas swarms players doing that and feeds off of the turnovers.

Watch the godamn points!!! I' tired of seeing Jets wingers float to the middle than scramble back to the wall when the puck is fired around. Looking at you especially, Captain.

Great post - I hope Maurice is reading this

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
My two cents. Our forwards need to be relentless on the Vegas D on the fore check, make them make mistakes because thats what Vegas has done to us when they have controlled the play. We need to be physical but smart about it and no more of these individual efforts when skating through the neutral zone that cost us odd man rushes because they fail to dump it in once crossing center ice, Vegas clogs up the neutral zone really well, a aggressive dump and chase game like they did in the 3rd during game 3 was one of the reason we dominated that period. Helle needs to be Helle, he has looked shaky the last two games and needs to bring his A-Game against a very fast and tenacious team. We have the better team and we are one of the few teams that can match them in speed so lets utilize that and bring a smart and heavy game as we are much bigger than they are. Plus somebody help Laine on how to take a pass when the puck comes around the boards.

Go Jets Go!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
- Replace the frigging Tanev with Armia (what a brainfart, cannot believe P'Mo actually thought Tanev could replace Ehlers or even be top six forward in NHL f*** playoffs)
- Move Laine to LW => LSA
- For f*** sakes, replace Buff on a PP with Morrisey who can actually distribute the puck. Buff's main role isn't to score goals on the PP but either find Wheelers or Laine and he simply just isn't capable of making quick sharp passes whenever there's that small window of opportunity

If one happens I'm surprised, two takes a miracle and three means that P'Mo is out for whatever reason and an assistant coach has taken over.
This hasn't been an issue, you've harped about this all year. Anyone can see Vegas is completely taking away any lane to get Laine the puck, especially from up top. You can't force something that isn't there, which has been Wheeler's issue on the PP lately, as well as the whole thing not moving and rotating at all. The first unit has become completely static and is not what made them so successful all season.

I credit Buff for being able to recognize it and not make a high risk, low percentage play cross ice with no support. Which ironically if he tried and failed, people would lose their minds over.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Regular season goals per game vs playoffs

Wheeler - 0.28 / 0.20
Laine - 0.54 / 0.26
Ehlers - 0.35 / 0.00
Scheifele - 0.38 / 0.93
Conner - 0.41 / 0.20
Little - 0.19 / 0.06

A little more scoring like the regular season would be a good strategy.

Scheifele is a playoff god.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Too much credit being given to the Jets for last game's third period. Score effects were in play - Vegas was sitting back a bit, made us look more dominant than we really are against the Knights.

We are better - more talent. Where they are beating us on the ice is in hard work every single second of every single shift. If we do that tonight (hard word every single shift right from the first shift), and we clean up our line changes, we win. Unless Helle craps the bed - then we are screwed.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Too much credit being given to the Jets for last game's third period. Score effects were in play - Vegas was sitting back a bit, made us look more dominant than we really are against the Knights.

We are better - more talent. Where they are beating us on the ice is in hard work every single second of every single shift. If we do that tonight (hard word every single shift right from the first shift), and we clean up our line changes, we win. Unless Helle craps the bed - then we are screwed.
I don't think that's entirely true, not to the extent the Jets dominated the 3rd. The difference in shot attempts after the Jets came within one goal, 16 seconds in, were far greater than typical score effect percentages in the same situation.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Just come out 100% from the opening faceoff. No coasting to retrieve pucks, know that you are being chased relentlessly and act accordingly. Give yourself as much time as possible, by getting there as fast as possible.

During dump ins, same thing. Know that they are going to try to beat you and flip it out. Speed!

The jets seem to get energy from heavier/rougher play. Go for a big hit, start a scrum, get some passion in your game from the opening play.

If we play 100% for 60 minutes we win pretty much every time. I'll be watching for coasting.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad