Strategies to beat Vegas?

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Call a time out once we score. :)

But its not basketball , we only have 1 time out.

Mental toughness once we score or the beginning of the game is needed .

2 lines in particular are out during those times.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Now that everyone has come down to earth, and acknowledges Vegas for the great team that they are --this is what we'll need to beat them.

1) We absolutely need support scoring from our 2nd and 3rd lines --where has Laine, Ehlers, Little and Perrault been ?? Perrault missed a wide open net tonight--all he had to do was flip the puck over the pads ?? We're paying this guy $ 4 mil a year--I think Chevy should think of trading him.

2) We have to play a full hard 60 minutes, just like Vegas does. We can't come out half asleep in the 1st period and get behind early and have to chase the game.

3) I'd like to see Morrow put in to replace Enstrom--and not because I think Toby has been bad defensively -- I think Morrow has a great shot, and we may get a couple goals from him in this series.Our back end scoring is great, and we should use it. Morrow is also a great skater.

4) I noticed Buff and Myers had strong games -- and we should use our point shots a lot more than we do --like with Myers, Buff and Trouba, and Morrissey -- just the way Nashville does.

5) We're getting good enough Goaltending--Helle made a mistake that cost us a goal tonight-- but otherwise he's been as good as Fleury--who has been great.

In summary --we really have to come out with a 100% effort all game and play desperate hockey. If we lose the next game and go down 3-1 -- chances are Vegas takes the series in 6. We'll now see what kind of poise and character this Jet's team has -- now that we're behind and the "chips are on the table"--it becomes who wants it more ???

The Jet's have the talent to win this series-"have to put it all together." :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjiggyfly

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Honestly, Vegas have had my head scratching all season.

The games I have watched, they seemed to have an ability to slow the game down to their pace - Made for alot of boring games.

I don't know what it is, great coaching is one guess.
One thing is for sure, on paper, they should not be here.

oldunclehue

Jun 16, 2010
As much as Don cherry is disliked, he is right. The Jets made some costly line changes with their Defense and it cost us big time.

We need to be more aware as to who is on the ice for Vegas. If Marshessault is on the ice, he needs to be checked closely and often.

Reactions: thegr8one66

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not sure why they've waited half the game in the past two games to play tighter gaps, it's cost them both times. The Marshessault line has gotten way too much room out there and our D has been way too slow in support. Back half of both games, especially last night, when they stayed tight and forced the play at the blue lines, they were in full control. This is the way they played all year, they are letting Vegas back them up way too much.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Its too bad we didn't have an extra day off - might have given the coaching staff some time to watch vegas film. Not sure if this is a factor though. The increase in speed in the third does give me some optimism for the next game, but i'll be disappointed if we come out flat again.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
As much as Don cherry is disliked, he is right. The Jets made some costly line changes with their Defense and it cost us big time.

We need to be more aware as to who is on the ice for Vegas. If Marshessault is on the ice, he needs to be checked closely and often.

It helps the line changes if the players don't lollygag back to the bench like they're window shopping for golf clubs.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Not saying the Jets haven’t worked hard at times, but they haven’t for 60 mins each game and they need to do that to win

I like your phrase Hunter--"hard work" beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard. So true in many aspects of life !!! --I've seen it over and over again in business as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hunter368

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No more 30 second easy 1st period goals Hellebuyck.

c6b2c0f699025cd9152e8e8c74eab7d8.jpg

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
The problem is after the first period in game one .. the Jets have been on cruise control. They found out yesterday the hard way ... it takes 60 minutes to beat a hard working team with less talent.

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Since we are talking strategy here we go:

1) For the start I would like to see a 1-3-1. Thats for the first 10min depending on how the game goes. Vegas roars out of the gate then falls off a cliff because they lean so heavy on that one line.

2) If they score first they immed go to a 1-4 after they learnt from that first game you simply cant run and gun with us. To beat this (we actually did do it quite a bit in game 3). Defense has to come up with the puck. You have to surround him on either side with support. Short passes to gain that red line is what is needed. Take what they give you, if it requires dumping it in then we do that. If we can carry it in so much the better.

3) Once in the zone SET UP THE ZONE! We do not have to score off the rush, lets play down there. There defense arent all that great or deep prolonged pressure can really wear a team down quickly especially ones with really one good d pairing.

4) I would ideally once the game settles in switch to a 2-1-2. I want to see massive pressure on their defense. They are fast but they arent all that good. Force the bad pass maintain that zone and see #3.

5) Defense must retrieve the puck from behind the net and SKATE. We dont want Helly having to make the first pass inside the zone at all. So many times I saw our defense standing there waiting for Helly to some how pass through guys. Nope Nope Nope.

6) Get on the body. We are by far the way bigger team, Vegas is a smaller team, we can smash them around.

7) DRIVE to the net. If we are going to push this score on the rush (against my advice) but drive to the net, put your shoulder down and go, use your trailer as rebound support. Make Fleury very uncomfortable.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Funny how we all came to almost the same conclusion about the last game third period...

Our Winnipeg Jets in that last third period finally came back to the team they were most of the season but even better...

The Preds changed our game...

Rightly so for those changes helped us win the last series...

Now after that last third period our Jets are now back in the drivers seat...

We know now what our team needs to do as well they also know it now...

It was required learning on our Jets part and I firmly believe that they all know one cough up of the puck and its probably ends up as a goal...

We have to play fast and furious and if we have to give up the puck pass it back and regroup...

Its a game of keep away where the puck must stay on our sticks and not theirs...

We needed this learning curve and our Jets also needed to fall behind by one game...

I firmly believe we cause Vegas to ice the puck for the majority of the next game...

We Are The Better Team...

Go :jets Go

No vids or gif's this time... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: folix

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Helly has to be better than Fleury
I think we can slow down the game and play more physical Vegas shows they can run and gun as well as us
Fleury likes to poke check lots. Try the hotdog move drag puck between the legs and shoot whenever he tries to poke check

No...

Not slower but faster like the last third period...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad