Strategies to beat Vegas?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
We have to crash the net!!!

It's so frustrating to watch Fleury give up rebound after rebound. Fleury is not a top ranked goalie of the last decade. He has average career stats (0.914% season 0.913% playoffs) and it's debatable if he would ever get a sniff from the Hall of Fame if he was not on some stacked Penguins teams since 2007. I remember 2009, when the Penguins won their first cup, in spite of average goaltending from Fleury (0.908%). Or the infamous Flyers-Penguins series in 2012 (0.834%), where Philly lit up MAF like a joint.

In fact, if you look at MAF's career playoff stats, he is arguably the reason the Pens didn't repeat as champions in 2010 (0.891%), fell short in 2013 (0.883%), or almost cost the Pens the 2016 Stanley Cup (0.875%). Review some tapes of past seasons to see what rattled him. Fleury is not a 0.945% goalie. He's 33 and approaching the twilight of his career.

The Jets need to figure him out in Game 5, or it will be over.

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
This hasn't been an issue, you've harped about this all year. Anyone can see Vegas is completely taking away any lane to get Laine the puck, especially from up top. You can't force something that isn't there, which has been Wheeler's issue on the PP lately, as well as the whole thing not moving and rotating at all. The first unit has become completely static and is not what made them so successful all season.

I credit Buff for being able to recognize it and not make a high risk, low percentage play cross ice with no support. Which ironically if he tried and failed, people would lose their minds over.

That's just non-sense. I've watched hockey long enough to have seen tons of great quarterbacks with the vision and ability to feed pucks to where they wanted and when they wanted. Buff isn't one of these players and his vision and decision making are just about average and probably one of the biggest weaknesses in his game. There have been dozens of occasions throughout the year where there has been a window to make the pass at the very second he received the puck or shortly after. The problem is that he doesn't know where the other players are positioned forehand and starts peeking around only AFTER he's already received the puck, rather than keeping his head up, knowing where players are located and executing a sharp pass before the opposition has the chance to close the lane. He simply doesn't see the ice the same way as most great players do. Sometimes when he has taken his time and evaluated the avenues it's much too late and often there still is a small window to make a rather risk-free feed but instead he starts to hesitate and just moves the responsibility to Wheelers. I've even seen several occasions where he has made the pass, but with a speed where the goalkeeper could basically skate from one post to another and back before it ever reached Laine. Buff should be at the second powerplay unit cause he has the shoot first mentality and is a possession player. He could add some firepower on that formation, where as right now with Laine and Scheifele (much better shooters) his type of a defender is entirely dispensable. Said this before but I'm quite certain someone like Morrisey who has better awareness and passing abilities could do the same job, but only much, much better. The top end QBs make decisions in a fraction of a second, but unfortunately this particular veteran isn't a "fast thinker" in this regard anyway.

Yeah, he made a great pass to Laine today and that was a great effort. Kind of a perfect example where Buff actually is able to distribute, cause even his vision can cover players positioned nearly directly in front of him (as opposed to being much closer to the blue line where he is located as well). Yet one game and one instance does not supersede all the missed opportunities and doesn't really help long-term. I don't know why they insist on using him there. Could be a veteran/locker room related thing, knowing Maurice, but just watch and see what happens when Buff is either gone or replaced by a better player for the role (especially if they still work with the same PP strategy).

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
That's just non-sense. I've watched hockey long enough to have seen tons of great quarterbacks with the vision and ability to feed pucks to where they wanted and when they wanted. Buff isn't one of these players and his vision and decision making are just about average and probably one of the biggest weaknesses in his game. There have been dozens of occasions throughout the year where there has been a window to make the pass at the very second he received the puck or shortly after. The problem is that he doesn't know where the other players are positioned forehand and starts peeking around only AFTER he's already received the puck, rather than keeping his head up, knowing where players are located and executing a sharp pass before the opposition has the chance to close the lane. He simply doesn't see the ice the same way as most great players do. Sometimes when he has taken his time and evaluated the avenues it's much too late and often there still is a small window to make a rather risk-free feed but instead he starts to hesitate and just moves the responsibility to Wheelers. I've even seen several occasions where he has made the pass, but with a speed where the goalkeeper could basically skate from one post to another and back before it ever reached Laine. Buff should be at the second powerplay unit cause he has the shoot first mentality and is a possession player. He could add some firepower on that formation, where as right now with Laine and Scheifele (much better shooters) his type of a defender is entirely dispensable. Said this before but I'm quite certain someone like Morrisey who has better awareness and passing abilities could do the same job, but only much, much better. The top end QBs make decisions in a fraction of a second, but unfortunately this particular veteran isn't a "fast thinker" in this regard anyway.

Yeah, he made a great pass to Laine today and that was a great effort. Kind of a perfect example where Buff actually is able to distribute, cause even his vision can cover players positioned nearly directly in front of him (as opposed to being much closer to the blue line where he is located as well). Yet one game and one instance does not supersede all the missed opportunities and doesn't really help long-term. I don't know why they insist on using him there. Could be a veteran/locker room related thing, knowing Maurice, but just watch and see what happens when Buff is either gone or replaced by a better player for the role (especially if they still work with the same PP strategy).
Sorry, this is nonsense. His vision and decision making are his weaknesses? Hilarious.

Ok then, carry on.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Sorry, this is nonsense. His vision and decision making are his weaknesses? Hilarious.

Ok then, carry on.

Your response in it's "grand entity" is what's hilarious here. No productive content whatsoever. For one to criticize a comment made in a public discussion board, getting replied back to the detail and yet being unable to provide any actual counter-arguments to support a viewpoint is just weak. Goes into the class of all the"AINEC", "x>>>>y"s one encounters here on daily basis. Howabout being creative and try again? So far we know that you think Buff's vision and decision making are hmm, should we say good? It's a start! :D

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Yup, can't continually let in one or two soft goals a game when you're not scoring!
That third goal (the winning goal in a 3-2 victory) by the Knights set up when a stupid Big Buff pinched was a softie for sure. Most good NHL goalies would have saved that, but Hellbuck fanned on it.

Reactions: sipowicz

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Each game I've noticed that they always have a guy and keep up with. Their defensive system is just too good and works out just so... well. I also am fed up with Ehlers choking, it's time to bump him down to the third or fourth line temporarily until he either produces or when the regular season comes. But I would keep him up on the powerplay. Roslovic though has been playing outstanding, Iike I said, he's Ryan Kesler 2.0.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Stastny-Roslovic
Perreault-Little-Ehlers
Lowry-Copp-Tanev

PresidentWU

May 25, 2014
Fake Shot pass or deke = WIN

Fleury overplays the shot. Get in the Zone pass to the winger at the hash marks. He needs to fake the shot. Fleury will overplay him. Then throw the puck across and hit the guys infront or a pinching D.

Also they need to drive the net and shoot at fleurys pads.

Just have all 3 drive the net and scramble around.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Your response in it's "grand entity" is what's hilarious here. No productive content whatsoever. For one to criticize a comment made in a public discussion board, getting replied back to the detail and yet being unable to provide any actual counter-arguments to support a viewpoint is just weak. Goes into the class of all the"AINEC", "x>>>>y"s one encounters here on daily basis. Howabout being creative and try again? So far we know that you think Buff's vision and decision making are hmm, should we say good? It's a start! :D
What would you like me to elaborate on that I haven't many times before? I disagree with what you see and think you're flat out wrong. I really dont know what you're watching if that's your conclusion. All you wrote was Buff is slow in his decision making and reads. So this makes you right?

Here we go, Buff is an elite puck movet and driver, his ability to retrieve the puck and start zone exits is extremely good. He is a force at both blue lines and controls play when he is on the ice which results in high possession and chances for the Jets. He is a threat from the point on the PP and is a very good distributor of the puck.

What else would you like? You disagree, I'm cool with that. Are you correct? Not even close imo.

Reactions: Jets 31

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Cherry said it in the intermission... you got to have a guy. Referring to a goalie who can steal games.

We just need a goalie who can make saves in the playoffs without causing goals against the Jets by making poor decisions like wandering behind the net to retrieve a puck for no apparent reason, hesitating on whether to catch, freeze or leave the puck in play that lead to a Knights goal, misreading routine savable shots that got behind him......

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We just need a goalie who can make saves in the playoffs without causing goals against the Jets by making poor decisions like wandering behind the net to retrieve a puck for no apparent reason, hesitating on whether to catch, freeze or leave the puck in play that lead to a Knights goal, misreading routine savable shots that got behind him......
Interesting ppl wanting to drive Helly out of town.

Reactions: irunthepeg

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
To me, the Jets have outplayed Vegas in 3/4 games so far. They are doing what what they need to do except one crucial piece which before this series had been something they could take for granted: goaltending. They had Vezina-level goaltending previously, ever since the end of game 1 versus Nashville Jets haven't even had average goaltending.

So unless Helle gets back to previous form, the strategy to beat Vegas is to limit them to zero shots on net. Pretty tall order. It was working for them in the third period last game though where they were relentlessly pressuring Vegas and they went for a significant period without any shots on net. Then they finally got one that should have been a routine save and it was in, so clearly limiting them to low danger shots isn't enough. They need to be pretty much held to nothing.

If Hellebuyck continues to play the same way he has in games 2, 3 and 4 we are done.

It is just that simple.

QFT. The only way Jets win without Helle improving his game is if they totaly and completely dominate Vegas which is unlikely to happen in the conference finals. It's not like they are playing Arizona or or Buffalo right now.

Yup, can't continually let in one or two soft goals a game when you're not scoring!

I wouldn't say the Jets aren't scoring at all. They're not scoring a lot, true, but they're scoring enough and limiting the opposition chances enough that they only need average goaltending behind them to win. Fleury is playing like a man possessed but they are still able to get two past him last two games which is quite an accomplishment considering how infuriatingly good Fleury has been.

Interesting ppl wanting to drive Helly out of town.

I don't want to run him out of town, but I'd sure like to see him play better. I want to run him out of town if what we've seen the last several games is the "real Helle". I don't know if 2016-2017 plus Vegas series Helle is the real guy or whether 2017-2018 regular season plus Wild series is the real Helle. If the latter is the real Helle and he's just fatigued or having a rare bad series (happens to the best, even guys like Rinne who in other playoffs have seemed invincible), then I want to keep him. If the regular season this year was a mirage or a really long hot streak then, yeah, I want someone else in his spot who can get the job done.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
:huh:
Interesting ppl wanting to drive Helle out of town

People should realize Helle is the reason we made the playoffs, and had a deep run in these playoffs. He had a SP of around 92 % this year, and is a Vezina canidate. You just can't satisfy some of these fans. He may not be having his best series-- but he's brought us a long way. If we had Mason, or Hutchison in net-- we wouldn't have made the playoffs--so be thankful we have him. He's a very solid Goaltender.

This had been an exciting playoffs to watch, and Helle is the reason we did so well, and played great against Nashville.

As good as he may play--there will be many pointing fingers at him.:huh:

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't think Helly has been horrible this series , he has made many very good saves . It's the timing of the goals that are killing us . Game starts and Helly lets one in early , now we have to work like crazy to tie the game back up . Then right after we tie it again , Helly lets another in , work like dogs to tie it again and totally out play them in the process , and first decent chance against Helly , boom , game . If it's frustrating for us as fans , i gotta figure it's getting to some of the players too .

Reactions: Ducky10 and GNP

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
:huh:

People should realize Helle is the reason we made the playoffs, and had a deep run in these playoffs. He had a SP of around 92 % this year, and is a Vezina canidate. You just can't satisfy some of these fans. He may not be having his best series-- but he's brought us a long way. If we had Mason, or Hutchison in net-- we wouldn't have made the playoffs--so be thankful we have him. He's a very solid Goaltender.

This had been an exciting playoffs to watch, and Helle is the reason we did so well, and played great against Nashville.

As good as he may play--there will be many pointing fingers at him.:huh:

Of course there is - his last 2 starts were horrible.
There is nothing on this planet more frustrating than out playing a team in multiple games and lose due to goal tending issues.
I'm not running Helle out of town but I am calling him out. What good is it to have a guy take you to the playoffs and then crash and burn.

We need a "guy" in net that can handle playoff hockey or it's all for nothing.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I played goal for many years , not pro or even semi pro , just competitive hockey i guess , and i hated , more than anything else , letting in a goal right after we scored . I could have been playing very good but if we worked like dogs to tie the game up and i let one in right after , oooooooow that burned my ass , feel like you are totally letting your team down , no matter how well i was playing . :madfire:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't think Helly has been horrible this series , he has made many very good saves . It's the timing of the goals that are killing us . Game starts and Helly lets one in early , now we have to work like crazy to tie the game back up . Then right after we tie it again , Helly lets another in , work like dogs to tie it again and totally out play them in the process , and first decent chance against Helly , boom , game . If it's frustrating for us as fans , i gotta figure it's getting to some of the players too .

I certainly feel your pain and frustration--and I would think the players are pissed off as well -- but that's the world of Sports for you. I'm sure Helle doesn't want to screw up, and probably would like to have a couple back.

Over the long haul--I think he'll be a bigtime winner for us. I wasn't expecting the Jets to advance as far as they did with all the youth on the team-- but the team has played "great"-and I guess our Goaltending is slumping. It's to bad--because we could have gone all the way this year. It's not over yet though --I think they win tomorrow.

PresidentWU

May 25, 2014
The second goal was your goalies fault. But at 2-2 that 3rd goal was a perfect shot. I mean Hellybuck even stood for it. Had he gone down (butterfly) you could blame him. The fact he was still standing was amazing. A great shot.

Again the second goal... He can be blamed but the score was 2-2.

My issue is goals going in 1 minute into games and goals after you score.

But at 2-2 I dont blame him. He stood up, it was a great shot. I dont blame Buff it was just too unlucky.

I remember watching and believing my Canadiens could come back from 3-1 vs Boston. I think the Jets are deeper and better. I think this next game is the hardest one.

If it goes 7 Fleury cracks under hostile crowds and preassure (Columbus shot from blue line, also game 1 buff) I think game 5 Fleury has no preassure so its gonna be a hard game. Game 6 on the road is easier. Game 7 full momentum is an easy win in my books. So Jets gotta get it done in game 5!!

Reactions: GNP and Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
In 1990 Bill Ranford was largely responsible for the Jets being 3-1 up on the Oilers in the divisional quarter-finals.

John Muckler wisely stuck with him and Ranford led them to the Stanley Cup, going 15-3 the rest of the way while collecting the Conn Smythe.

Go Helle!

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
We have to crash the net!!!

In fact, if you look at MAF's career playoff stats, he is arguably the reason the Pens didn't repeat as champions in 2010 (0.891%), fell short in 2013 (0.883%), or almost cost the Pens the 2016 Stanley Cup (0.875%). Review some tapes of past seasons to see what rattled him. Fleury is not a 0.945% goalie. He's 33 and approaching the twilight of his career.

The Jets need to figure him out in Game 5, or it will be over.

Very good post as always Jets4Life--and I think the numbers you cite on Fleury are accurate, and he's known to crack "under pressure"--we'll see tomorrow. Right now, he's riding a hot streak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad