Strategies to beat Vegas?

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Unlike the Nashville series, I am scratching my head as to what to do, or game plan the Jets should implement in order to beat the Golden Knights. Fleury had a great game on Monday, but it felt like Winnipeg was the better team, and let the game slip away. Vegas seemingly had luck fore-checking, and taking advantage on Jets mistakes (line changes, turnovers, defensive gaps).

My honest guess is, the longer the series lasts, the better chance the Jets have of winning. We are a bigger team, have more depth, and can be intimidating to play against. However, should we pelt Fleury with shots, play a more conservative game, or something else?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Ducky10

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
maximize our speed, skate and skate and skate. We had a lapse in the first but overall we did not play badly at all.

Just stick with it, no reason to panic after this loss.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Our top 2 lines are being too reliant on picking corners from the top of the circle or making the perfect pass. Vegas did a nice job taking this away, and we need to CRASH THE NET with way more purpose and get an ugly goal and go to the tough areas.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Score more goals than we give up.

Non-jackass answer: Use speed and pressure their porous defense.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I don't think they really need to get away from what they have done all year long. I'd like to see them keep working down low and wearing out the Vegas D, pretty much get back to what they did in game 1. I though the Scheifele and Lowry lines were really effective getting pucks to the net from down low and making Fleury fight the puck. Second chances are key against Fleury, he gives up a lot of rebounds and is often out of position.

Keep a tight gap and don't let them stretch the ice.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Helly has to be better than Fleury
I think we can slow down the game and play more physical Vegas shows they can run and gun as well as us
Fleury likes to poke check lots. Try the hotdog move drag puck between the legs and shoot whenever he tries to poke check

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
Play physically and with great effort (Like game 2 vs Wild). We are the bigger team. Use our speed like others are saying.

Defence on the point have to pick their shots better, can’t have them getting blocked by the first winger/centre pressuring them up close. If the shot’s that not open, pass or cycle down low.

Forecheckers have to be strong, fast and hard when pressuring the D and Fluery if we’re going to dump and chizzle.

Otherwise skate hard into the ozone. We can beat these guys, we know we can. The main thing we have to do, to turn us winning this series into reality, is to try.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
What it all comes down to is the guy holding the fort in the Vegas net: Fleury. Hes the life and death of Vegas’ post season run. Get past him and the Knights are done.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Biggest thing is focus. They lost focus for 10 minutes in the first period and the game was over. Stupid changes, pinches etc.

Vegas doesn't do anything fancy. As long as the Jets don't give them stupid errors to feed off of I think the Jets can beat Vegas at their own game by being better defensively.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Eliminate the errors. Vegas is the best system team I've ever seen, gaps are perfect, breakouts, entries, all of it is done with such discipline. Of course, all of these things are nothing without quick, accurate passes. Anyway, Vegas doesn't have enough talent to outscore us, unless we commit errors, bad line changes and missed D assignments.

Reactions: thegr8one66

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Be smart with the puck and line changes.

All their goals this series are directly from Jets giveaways or delayed penalty/PP. All of them.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Don't stop skating. We do that and we win. We stop and we lose. Simple plays, not to fancy. Get high danger chances because Fluery will stop the low danger chances with ease. He's not Rinne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->