Strategies to beat Vegas?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Honestly the winning strategy for this Jets team is simple. Skate, forecheck, take away their space, be first on pucks, be physical/finish checks. Once we do that collectively, everything else takes care of itself because the game opens up and talent takes over, our cycle game is incredibly strong and when this Jets talent does the above, they win games. The fact of the matter is the Jets blow Vegas out of the water in talent/depth, it isn't comparable, so if we just take care of the little things noted above the rest takes care of itself.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Honestly the winning strategy for this Jets team is simple. Skate, forecheck, take away their space, be first on pucks, be physical/finish checks. Once we do that collectively, everything else takes care of itself because the game opens up and talent takes over, our cycle game is incredibly strong and when this Jets talent does the above, they win games. The fact of the matter is the Jets blow Vegas out of the water in talent/depth, it isn't comparable, so if we just take care of the little things noted above the rest takes care of itself.

Need to get in Fluery's face, IMO - if he sees it, he'll stop it.

Go Jets!

Reactions: Ducky10 and Guerzy

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think that on the road the Jets will be fine. They will be more patient. I really think that they absolutely love the fans and sometimes try just a bit too hard on home ice. Vegas simply isn't as good and when all 4 lines are rolling, line matching is irrelevant against us. The bounces won't always be as bad as last game. Fleury was beat multiple times, just gotta hit the inside of the post instead of the outside. Keep doing what we're doing, skate a bit faster, keep focus, and we'll be fine.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
It looked to me that Vegas was giving 100% in game 2, if we give 110% we should win by 10%:nod:. Change nothing play the way that got us 114 pts, play fast, fore check, cycle down low and put a few of them through the boards, we also need Vezina Helly to show up.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Helly has to be better than Fleury
I think we can slow down the game and play more physical Vegas shows they can run and gun as well as us
Fleury likes to poke check lots. Try the hotdog move drag puck between the legs and shoot whenever he tries to poke check
I disagree with this. A run and gun game heavily favores the Jets since they are much more talented in scoring and the teams are pretty even in goaltending. All the Jets need to do is to keep playing their brand of hockey and avoid the kind of brain farts that lead to the VGK goals last game.

The Jets are the better team and soon enough the VGK will be trying to figure out ways to beat them. Sadly they won't, since that requires a poor effort from the Jets, which in itself is not a strategy that one can draw up. This might go to seven, but I'm still staying positive and hold on to my prediction of Jets in 5, with three straight wins from our boys :D

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Tampa showed last night what normally happens when a more talented team shows up and plays the right way. Our 1st PP unit needs to get going though, have to start making Vegas pay for taking penalties. Speaking of penalties, I think the Jets can really take advantage of their size when it comes to drawing penalties, a deep cycle game really favours the Jets and if they can keep moving their feet and go hard to the net, Vegas is bound to take a few penalties defending that.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
All of the normal things like focus and speed. But what I would like to see is full speed zone entries. If the vgk try to stop us they will have to take a penalty at that point.

I would also love to see us get physical. It seems to get us involved more.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
My only real concern is getting goalied, I hate when that happens.

Usually it means being out team-defensed as well. Fleury vs Hellebuyck should not be a point of worry?

I do agree with you when you say that if Jets play the right way we win. I think therein lies the "advantage" of Vegas as well. They will play the right way every night because there is no established dominance hierarchy (thanks Jordan Peterson [he is legit IMO, but not without mistakes like EVERYONE ELSE]). So they are basically battling for supremacy within the team as well. Just giving everything they have every shift and keeping the shift lengths short (because no-one has the status to **** around with their shift lenghts). This is complete speculation though.

Last edited:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
What strategy? All they have to do is skate and play their game and they got this. Talent will always win out and the Jets are a better team overall than Vegas. Vegas ain't some juggernaut that can't be beaten. Jets win tonight 4 to 1.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Talent will always win out

4e9be08632042839801a6e0cab85e75a.jpg

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Usually it means being out team-defensed as well. Fleury vs Hellebuyck should not be a point of worry?

I do agree with you when you say that if Jets play the right way we win. I think therein lies the "advantage" of Vegas as well. They will play the right way every night because there is no established dominance hierarchy (thanks Jordan Peterson). So they are basically battling for supremacy within the team as well. Just giving everything they have every shift and keeping the shift lengths short (because no-one has the status to **** around with their shift lenghts). This is complete speculation though.
I'm not concerned about Helle being better than Fleury, he is. I'm worried about the horseshoe up the ass effect that happens when you get goalied. I don't think it's a matter of getting out team defensed.

Based on shot generation and XGF so far the biggest concern is getting goalied, it's really the best chance Vegas has.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I'm not concerned about Helle being better than Fleury, he is. I'm worried about the horseshoe up the ass effect that happens when you get goalied. I don't think it's a matter of getting out team defensed.

Based on shot generation and XGF so far the biggest concern is getting goalied, it's really the best chance Vegas has.

Well shot generation and xGF can be attributed to team defense as well. For what it's worth, Laine said (Curb your enthusiasm lol) Fleury has not been tested from what he has seen. It's a bit circumstancial but if I was a betting man, I would not put this on Fleury alone (and I most definitely am).

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
- Cycle game and ozone face-offs - we are the better face off team.
- 2nd line needs to show up. With this line rolling, Vegas can't beat us - too many options.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb

I think you and many others are selling short Vegas' ability to play a disciplined team game. Something the Jets lack on too many nights. The Preds should have knocked them out, and would have but for sub-par goaltending. I'll keep my negativity out of the GDT, but I'm expecting two losses in Vegas and not just because MAF is the better goalie.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No more line changes with the puck in you’re own end!

Quit giving the puck away through bad passes, poor clearing attempts and dumping with no pressure in deep!

Play Ehlers and Laine less or better yet sit Ehlers and insert Roslo into the lineup!

Quit allowing Vegas to skate into the slot alone!

Get traffic in front of Fleury more than once a game!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Well shot generation and xGF can be attributed to team defense as well. For what it's worth, Laine said (Curb your enthusiasm lol) Fleury has not been tested from what he has seen. It's a bit circumstancial but if I was a betting man, I would not put this on Fleury alone (and I most definitely am).
I think we're talking past each other here. I'm talking about Fleury getting hot/lucky as the Knights best chance. That's all.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I think we're talking past each other here. I'm talking about Fleury getting hot/lucky as the Knights best chance. That's all.

You may be right. But I will say that I hope the Jets don't think that.

Besides, who knows whether or not consciousness creates reality.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I think you and many others are selling short Vegas' ability to play a disciplined team game. Something the Jets lack on too many nights. The Preds should have knocked them out, and would have but for sub-par goaltending. I'll keep my negativity out of the GDT, but I'm expecting two losses in Vegas and not just because MAF is the better goalie.
What exactly are you basing this on? Other than your typical glass half empty viewpoint of the time?

The Preds would have knocked the Jets out save but for sub par goaltending? You know this, how? It helped, it certainly wasn't the only factor.

I think you underestimate just how consistently well the Jets play a disciplined game, something they did on more nights than Vegas this season I might add.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Arrogance because Vegas seems to be an anomaly to the usual expansion team.

For all we know this could be a team full of Armia's just ready to explode.
I have yet to see the Jets display any arrogance, it's not who they are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad