Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Glad the trend of easily decipherable codes continue!

I was at my LHS the other day and they had some SuperTacks 2.0 pro stocks in, with P80 and P90 curve numbers, which I had never seen before. I eyed up the one lefty they had and it looked like a McDavid curve just slightly different, can't remember if it was a P80 or P90 thought.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I've been reading the last several pages. Is it just me, or are CCM sticks not that popular? It seems a lot of people are talking about the Warrior Alpha, QRL, 1N, 1X, but not much CCM. I've been looking at getting a Super Tacks 2.0, but now I'm wondering if I should rethink what brand I buy.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I've been reading the last several pages. Is it just me, or are CCM sticks not that popular? It seems a lot of people are talking about the Warrior Alpha, QRL, 1N, 1X, but not much CCM. I've been looking at getting a Super Tacks 2.0, but now I'm wondering if I should rethink what brand I buy.
I mean at the end of the day it’s all preference. I’ve used a super tacks (Gudas prostock) and I loved it. Then I got a revolution and the toe chipped up in a roller hockey game. Was never a fan of the ribcore line.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Depending on how much stock you put into the accuracy of this site, but among NHL players, CCM is the most popular brand.

https://www.geargeek.com/

The Ribcore line is the most popular line of sticks, with almost one in every 5 players (19.5%) using a stick from this line (PMT, ASY, Reckoner, 40k)

The most popular individual stick is the new Warrior Alpha QX.

I have a CCM Ultra Tacks pro stock, excellent stick, does everything well, very durable, zero complaints.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Super Tacks 2.0, nor would the new Trigger PMT or RBZ FT1 be bad choices. Really depends on what you're looking for (low-kick vs. mid-kick vs. variable).

Also if you're considering Super Tacks 2.0, also consider the previous Super Tacks. My local Sportchek had it for sale last week 50% off (regular $320 on for just $160).

That being said, going with Bauer or Warrior are fine choices as well. If I go retail for my next stick, I'll also look at the Warrior Alpha QX and the new Bauer Vapor 1X Lite, as well as the True sticks.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

We aren't representative of the general public. I for instance haven't used a CCM stick since the Ultra Tacks, and it's not because of the quality of their products, but my specific curve requirements. You can't go wrong with the CCM sticks, except the RBZ Revolution. I don't know what they were thinking in having a metal plate on the blade. It kills the puck feel.

The Super Tacks 2.0 looks like an awesome stick. It's one of the most popular sticks in the NHL.

Reactions: AIREAYE

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Thinking about getting a couple extra sticks this year as I'm going to be playing Rec league this year and absolutely tore up my Easton Stealth RS (65 flex) shooting in my shop this summer.

Currently I'm Using an Easton Stealh CX (75 flex) and absolutely love it. I would probably prefer suggestions for another low kick stick since I think I'll gets a Supreme TotalOne 1s but would also like suggestions for other Mid/High kicks

I'll probably keep my Flex around 75-85. My Shot got harder going from my 65 flex Stealth RS to my 75 flex Stealth CX so I'm not adverse to trying a bit higher flex.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thinking about getting a couple extra sticks this year as I'm going to be playing Rec league this year and absolutely tore up my Easton Stealth RS (65 flex) shooting in my shop this summer.

Currently I'm Using an Easton Stealh CX (75 flex) and absolutely love it. I would probably prefer suggestions for another low kick stick since I think I'll gets a Supreme TotalOne 1s but would also like suggestions for other Mid/High kicks

I'll probably keep my Flex around 75-85. My Shot got harder going from my 65 flex Stealth RS to my 75 flex Stealth CX so I'm adverse to trying a bit higher flex.
Warrior QRL all the way. I've been underwhelmed by the 1X's kick, but I still think Bauer's blades are the best on the market for puck feel/control.

Reactions: Stud Muffin

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

I'll probably keep my Flex around 75-85. My Shot got harder going from my 65 flex Stealth RS to my 75 flex Stealth CX so I'm adverse to trying a bit higher flex.

I'll second the QRL, with secondary recommendations for the EK365 and the Trigger 2. I'm a little iffy on the Ek365 blade's puck feel. It's not bad but a little off from my preference. The Trigger 2, I really like the softened handle, but when I'm using sticks like the QRL, Ek, etc., I find the Trigger 2 is noticeably heavier, which could be a pro or con depending on your preference.

For the high kick stick, I have a Super Tacks 2.0 that really like. It's got the softend handle like the Trigger 2, which I I find lets me snap them off a little easier. I'm a huge fan of the puck feel on the 2.0's blade as well as its stiffness. But like the Trigger 2, the stick is a little heavy compared to its contemporaries. Haven't tried the new 1S, though I'm eyeing the holiday sales hoping to pick one up if the price is right.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Warrior QRL all the way. I've been underwhelmed by the 1X's kick, but I still think Bauer's blades are the best on the market for puck feel/control.
My Friend loves his Vapour 1x and has been trying to get me to lean that way, I've heard good things about both sticks, I would like to try some out but all my friends shoot Right, there's a couple guys on my Rec league team but they seem to use all cheaper versions of sticks.

How's the durability for the QRL? I read lots of reviews were a QR line of stick has broke.

Last edited:

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
The True XCore9 is perhaps the best stick I've ever used. Great feel for the puck/puck control, shot feels good though not as hard as with some other sticks such as the 1S. Only downside is that it seems to crack easy- I haven't owned it for long and the blade already has a crack in it.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
My Friend loves his Vapour 1x and has been trying to get me to lean that way, I've heard good things about both sticks, I would like to try some out but all my friends shoot Right, there's a couple guys on my Rec league team but they seem to use all cheaper versions of sticks.

How's the durability for the QRL? I read lots of reviews were a QR line of stick has broke.
I've only put a couple ice-times in it thus far, but I don't think there's an inherent durability issue with the QRL as a whole!

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
Anyone use the S170 stick? What do you think about it? Would it be similar to my 2012 one.6?
I tried the S170 for 4 games and absolutely love it. My shot power is through the roof now. I got the 67 flex but cut down to 74.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The True XCore9 is perhaps the best stick I've ever used. Great feel for the puck/puck control, shot feels good though not as hard as with some other sticks such as the 1S. Only downside is that it seems to crack easy- I haven't owned it for long and the blade already has a crack in it.

My XCore9 broke in two weeks. Snapped in half with a wrist shot. The replacement XC9 ACF I got is still going strong after 9 months of use, but the blue thing under the blade sticks out and it bothers me because I use it for ball hockey and it sticks to the floor now. It makes me whiff on snap shots when I'm running.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
My XCore9 broke in two weeks. Snapped in half with a wrist shot. The replacement XC9 ACF I got is still going strong after 9 months of use, but the blue thing under the blade sticks out and it bothers me because I use it for ball hockey and it sticks to the floor now. It makes me whiff on snap shots when I'm running.
Yeah, my XCore9 is cracking a lot down around the blade now and I haven't even used it for a full year. I'm trying to think what stick I might want next.

Any reports on the Alpha QX? I know it's very popular at higher levels. I'm also interested in the 1X Lite.

kamosko

Ginger Jesus
Jun 18, 2010
Girouxsalem
It's been awhile since I've played hockey or purchased sticks, what brands are good for durability + performance at the high end level?

I'm looking to buy a top model from recent years for this winter.

I used to get Sherwood sticks, are those still pretty good?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Anyone have an insight on these new CCM sticks we see some NHL players using, like Kadri?

I thought it was a CCM FT1 because of the red accents, but it's red accents with mostly black, and looks like "Jetspeed" is written on the side.

Possible replacement for the RBZ line?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, my XCore9 is cracking a lot down around the blade now and I haven't even used it for a full year. I'm trying to think what stick I might want next.

Any reports on the Alpha QX? I know it's very popular at higher levels. I'm also interested in the 1X Lite.

The 1X Lite is arguably the best stick out there. Never had a hockey stick that light in my hands. It's perfect for stickhandling.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The 1X Lite is arguably the best stick out there. Never had a hockey stick that light in my hands. It's perfect for stickhandling.

I was testing out a 1X Lite at my LHS a couple weeks ago. I had to do a second take just to make sure I wasn't holding an intermediate stick, it was so light. Sure enough it was a senior-sized stick. Pretty amazing how light it is.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad