Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Anyone have an insight on these new CCM sticks we see some NHL players using, like Kadri?

I thought it was a CCM FT1 because of the red accents, but it's red accents with mostly black, and looks like "Jetspeed" is written on the side.

Possible replacement for the RBZ line?
Correct.
It's been awhile since I've played hockey or purchased sticks, what brands are good for durability + performance at the high end level?

I'm looking to buy a top model from recent years for this winter.

I used to get Sherwood sticks, are those still pretty good?
Yes on the Sherwoods. Although they may not stack up shoulder to shoulder with the top level sticks from Bauer/True/CCM/Warrior, they're still tremendous value. You should try and find a T120 or EK60 as previous year models!

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
I have an older Easton Synergy ST black model from 2011, I recently held a red Warrior stick that was on sale for $100 at sportchek in Canada and it felt amazing. Can anyone suggest some mid-high end durable sticks I should take a look at?

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I have an older Easton Synergy ST black model from 2011, I recently held a red Warrior stick that was on sale for $100 at sportchek in Canada and it felt amazing. Can anyone suggest some mid-high end durable sticks I should take a look at?
Warrior alpha QX AK27 reboot. $180 and 400g which is lighter then the high end alpha QX and can take a beating.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Warrior alpha QX AK27 reboot. $180 and 400g which is lighter then the high end alpha QX and can take a beating.
Just came out; not really sure anyone can say how durable they are yet.

I would suggest Sherwood, specifically the T120 which should be on sale everywhere. They're pretty tank-y

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
Just came out; not really sure anyone can say how durable they are yet.

I would suggest Sherwood, specifically the T120 which should be on sale everywhere. They're pretty tank-y
To be fair. I had my ak27 two weeks or so before the release. It was apart of my top 5 for winning vip. I can say it’s durable. 800carbon tech is what they use for the qxpros or the college prostock sticks. Compared to the 1000carbon used with the alpha QX. So with it being able to take more of a beating, on top of being lighter. It’s a no brainer.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This new CCM JetSpeed must be quite the stick. Every game I watch now I see more and more guys using it.
No, not necessarily. Just because a stick looks like a retail model doesn't mean that its constructed like one. Those sticks could be anything from a bulked up U+CL model, to a Tacks construction with a thinner blade, to something else. You have a lot of customization options as a pro. Never assume that a stick used in the NHL is the retail model. That's what they want you to think though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Anyone try the new vapour 1x lite yet?

Yep, it's really good and quite a bit lighter than the previous 1X.

It's insane. My friend bought two of those, One of the best sticks I've ever used. For $180, it doesn't make sense for anyone to spend $100 more to get the high end QX.

Reactions: Nvxs07

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
How's the feel of the 1X Lite? I've currently got a 1S (2016) and an XCore9. What does the puck feel compare more to? I find the XCore feels far better for stickhandling and passing and what not, but my shot is significantly harder with the 1S.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How's the feel of the 1X Lite? I've currently got a 1S (2016) and an XCore9. What does the puck feel compare more to? I find the XCore feels far better for stickhandling and passing and what not, but my shot is significantly harder with the 1S.

I didn't like the 1S when I tried it. The XCore9 has a very good puck feel, much better than the 1S for sure. The 1X Lite's puck feel reminds me more of the APX 2.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I didn't like the 1S when I tried it. The XCore9 has a very good puck feel, much better than the 1S for sure. The 1X Lite's puck feel reminds me more of the APX 2.

I remember the APX2 feeling somewhat dampened which I like. However, since the first 1x, Vapor blades have felt very stiff, pingy, and responsive which I don't like. If the 1x Lite has gone back to that APX2 feel, I'll have to try one out.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I remember the APX2 feeling somewhat dampened which I like. However, since the first 1x, Vapor blades have felt very stiff, pingy, and responsive which I don't like. If the 1x Lite has gone back to that APX2 feel, I'll have to try one out.

It's kinda stiff, just like the APX 2 was. You're thinking of the first APX, that one was super soft.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I just a bought a couple of STX Surgeon 100's on sale for $40 each from Sportschek

The price was right, the curves are okay, but most importantly they had 100 flex - which is mandatory since I use a long extension

This is my first venture into the one-piece market in over 15 years, so I really have no idea about today's sticks - other than some of them are kinda pricey

Does anybody have any experience using these sticks?

Did I just waste 90 bucks?

My next game isn't until tomorrow, so I can return them and get something else if the consensus is they're absolute junk

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I just a bought a couple of STX Surgeon 100's on sale for $40 each from Sportschek

The price was right, the curves are okay, but most importantly they had 100 flex - which is mandatory since I use a long extension

This is my first venture into the one-piece market in over 15 years, so I really have no idea about today's sticks - other than some of them are kinda pricey

Does anybody have any experience using these sticks?

Did I just waste 90 bucks?

My next game isn't until tomorrow, so I can return them and get something else if the consensus is they're absolute junk

Isn't it kind of heavy? I don't know what it's worth. I guess you'll have to find out yourself.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Isn't it kind of heavy? I don't know what it's worth. I guess you'll have to find out yourself.

We had this discussion in the one-piece thread

Weight isn't an issue for me and wasn't something I even considered when picking them out

Purehockey.com has it at 510 grams

Is that considered heavy?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
We had this discussion in the one-piece thread

Weight isn't an issue for me and wasn't something I even considered when picking them out

Purehockey.com has it at 510 grams

Is that considered heavy?

A little bit, yes. If weight doesn't matter to you, I think you're gonna like the stick. It has 12K carbon fiber in the blade, which is a high end carbon fiber grade. You could get some good performance out of it.

Tell me how it goes.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
What brands are putting out a 110 flex?

What's the longest, stiffest shaft on the market?

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
A little bit, yes. If weight doesn't matter to you, I think you're gonna like the stick. It has 12K carbon fiber in the blade, which is a high end carbon fiber grade. You could get some good performance out of it.

Tell me how it goes.

For $40 I was pleasantly surprised

It has a bit more whip than I'm used to, so picking top shelf with snapshots may prove challenging, but it's definitely adding a little zing to my shot

I used a full 9 inch extension, so it may need to be trimmed an inch or so, but other than that, it should do me well

It had a really nice feel with the puck

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
What brands are putting out a 110 flex?

What's the longest, stiffest shaft on the market?

That would be from Warrior or Bauer. They offer 110 and 112 flex. Warrior has a few 63" sticks too.

It might cost you more money, the low end composites aren't available in 110 flex to my knowledge. If you're going to spend between $100 and $150 for a 110 flex stick with extra length, you might as well get a pro stock stick.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
That would be from Warrior or Bauer. They offer 110 and 112 flex. Warrior has a few 63" sticks too.

It might cost you more money, the low end composites aren't available in 110 flex to my knowledge. If you're going to spend between $100 and $150 for a 110 flex stick with extra length, you might as well get a pro stock stick.

I found a really long Sher-Wood T120 flex 105 that I really liked on sale at Sportschek for $99, but they only had one left and it was a lefty

Do you know of a trusted site that might have them for sale? I think they're last year's model, so they should be up for clearance

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I found a really long Sher-Wood T120 flex 105 that I really liked on sale at Sportschek for $99, but they only had one left and it was a lefty

Do you know of a trusted site that might have them for sale? I think they're last year's model, so they should be up for clearance

Depends, do you live in Canada or USA?

Out of curiosity, why do you need a 9 inch extension and a 110 flex stick? Are you like 6'5 and 220+ lbs?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Canada

6'3, about 210

Ok, makes sense that you would use that kind of stick.

Unfortunately the Sherwood T120 has been on clearance for a while (they came out 2-3 years ago), I can't find one anywhere in your specs.

I know a good trusted Canadian website called Hockey Supremacy, and I found a good deal for you. Shipping is free, so it comes out to $100 CAD

True Hockey A4.5 SBP Stick, Hockey Stick | HockeySupremacy.com

True A4.5, 105 flex, available in many different curves.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Ok, makes sense that you would use that kind of stick.

Unfortunately the Sherwood T120 has been on clearance for a while (they came out 2-3 years ago), I can't find one anywhere in your specs.

I know a good trusted Canadian website called Hockey Supremacy, and I found a good deal for you. Shipping is free, so it comes out to $100 CAD

True Hockey A4.5 SBP Stick, Hockey Stick | HockeySupremacy.com

True A4.5, 105 flex, available in many different curves.

Thanks!

I'll pop into Sportschek and get an idea of which curve I like. It's kinda hard to tell from the pics

Their website says free shipping on orders over $150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->