Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I can see that. At my LHS(s) it's hit and miss. Some don't carry True at all as of yet, but that will likely change.

Another thing that I think has an impact is they don't market a particular curve after a certain player.

It's no surprise that McDavid and Crosby CCM curves are the bulk of what my LHS stick racks carry, and that CCM have started only offering these two curves in their lowest price point models.

People are still under the impression that the curves named after McDavid and Crosby are the ones they really use. One thing I've noticed is that heel curves were super popular just 10 years ago and now they're nowhere to be found. Who uses the old heel wedge P91A anymore? Seems like everybody's switched to the P92 or the P28. I wish there was more than one toe curve readily available.

I can never find my favourite curve ever unless I buy a prostock Ovechkin/Oshie.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
People are still under the impression that the curves named after McDavid and Crosby are the ones they really use. One thing I've noticed is that heel curves were super popular just 10 years ago and now they're nowhere to be found. Who uses the old heel wedge P91A anymore? Seems like everybody's switched to the P92 or the P28. I wish there was more than one toe curve readily available.

I can never find my favourite curve ever unless I buy a prostock Ovechkin/Oshie.

I thought oshie was similar to the p28, no?? Care to shed some light ?! :)

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

True,

It's like the P-38, which was marketed as Datsyuk (formerly marketed as a Spezza), and now a Forsberg.

Even from a distance, you can tell Datsyuk's blade is nothing like what you find in any retail model. But that didn't stop them from marketing the P-38 as such.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
True,

It's like the P-38, which was marketed as Datsyuk (formerly marketed as a Spezza), and now a Forsberg.

Even from a distance, you can tell Datsyuk's blade is nothing like what you find in any retail model. But that didn't stop them from marketing the P-38 as such.

On the other hand, I bet half the NHL uses either a P92 type curve or a P28 type curve. They're very popular at the pro level too.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
This is fantastic from Warrior. Not only is it at a better price point at the QXPro level, but it's 40g LIGHTER than the QXPro

Last edited:
Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
400 grams at this price, if the performance is as advertised, it might offer the most bang for your buck on the market.
You could turn the lights off and have me pick up each stick, take a few shots, stick handle, etc and I wouldn’t be able to tell you the difference. Thankful I was able to add that to my warrior collection. You guys won’t be disappointed at all

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I'm getting acquainted with my new QRL at the moment. Could any of you provide a comparison between the Covert line's performance vs this new Alpha line? I know they lowered the kickpoint.

Nvxs07

Aug 1, 2014
I'm getting acquainted with my new QRL at the moment. Could any of you provide a comparison between the Covert line's performance vs this new Alpha line? I know they lowered the kickpoint.
Absolutely, so for the covert line (great stick btw) it’s a very low kickpoint. If I had to compare, it would similar with the Vapor series.

The Alpha line is a mid low. So the Taper isn’t as aggressive and it is more well balanced. So of course you can get those quick wrist shots up. But you can also load a slapshot very well.

Reactions: AIREAYE

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016

For me, I find the Alpha is a little better on the slapshots in that the shaft doesn't torque as much. In terms of snapslap shots, I find that from time to time, when I snap one off, it won't elevate. It'll be on target but simply won't lift. Which is something I run into when I use mid-kick sticks.

Otherwise I find the two sticks quite similar in flex and feel. Though I've heard others say the Alpha plays stiffer, but I'm scratching my head on that.

Reactions: AIREAYE

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The pro shop at the ice rink at Ohio State just got some of these pro stock 1X Lites and they really are so light its insane. The red and chrome graphics look great too. At only $100 I think I'm going to have to pick one up. I usually use Nexus but can't wait to try it.

vaporlite2.jpg

vaporlite3.jpg

Reactions: Nvxs07

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Neat! How are you sure they're 1X Lites and not repainted 1Xs though? I'm inclined to believe you given that the code on the stick isn't like anything I've seen before.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Neat! How are you sure they're 1X Lites and not repainted 1Xs though? I'm inclined to believe you given that the code on the stick isn't like anything I've seen before.

Oh they're legit. I actually work there. :laugh:

The mens and women varsity teams have been using them recently and these are just the extras that have to go on consignment so the school can get something out of them. They actually lose like $20-$40 per stick. But that's nothing to them.

These 1S goalie sticks are in our shop for $75. It's nuts to me.

supreme1sgoal.jpg

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My friend has had the 1X lite for 6 months now. He got it as a gift from his coach who works in Bauer's R&D department here in Montreal. I've tried it back in June and knew you guys would like it. It's an insane stick.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
If it says S161X, then it's the college stock code from 2016, so it could be 1X repaints...

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I got the AK27 for my friend. Its full name is the Warrior Alpha AK27 SL, SL standing for super light. It is super light, it's as light as any stick I've ever held. Can't wait to try it.

Oh they're legit. I actually work there. :laugh:

The mens and women varsity teams have been using them recently and these are just the extras that have to go on consignment so the school can get something out of them. They actually lose like $20-$40 per stick. But that's nothing to them.

These 1S goalie sticks are in our shop for $75. It's nuts to me.

supreme1sgoal.jpg

Just want to quote this picture to say that the Nexus 1N looks even better in red than blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad