Equipment: STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Now that we are on the subject, has someone actually used a radar to measure the speed when shooting with different sticks. I swear I shoot harder with the high end Supremes than high end low kick Easton and Reeboks (flex and curve being equivalent) but I've never collected data. At least it feels harder...

I've done analysis on myself using high speed footage 240fps using my iPhone. Basically I used frame rate to calculate velocity of my shot using various sticks over hundreds of shots. The numbers I came up with have a margin for error, but it's good enough for me to know how each stick performs relative to one another.

What I came up with is basically the same curve p92/p28, same flex, various kick points and brands, on average didn't really make me shoot any harder. Ease of release differed and obviously feel, but velocity, not really. Sticks I tested were QRL, QX, HD3, xcore9,1x,1N, Supertacks 2.0, ribcor 44k,47k, CCM Superfast, and more.

With the 2.0 and superfast shots felt like they were coming off hotter but when I calculated their velocities, they were about the same as shooting with a QRL. What feels hard and fast isn't always the truth of it (that's what she said). Sometimes its just an illusion, especially if you go bar down. On the other side of things sometimes a shot didn't feel hard but the calculation indicated otherwise.

Like I said, there's a margin for error on my part, so I'm curious to get a hold of a radar gun to see if I'm off, and if so by how much.

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
For those of you who have used both the top end and 2nd from the top sticks (example: 1x and x900). How have they compared? I've been using the top end stick from each line for the last 5 years and want to know if its worth it to just drop to an x900 or N9000. I'm a decent player and will notice the difference if its there but I want to know from others if they have experience/thoughts on this. Thanks to anyone who answers

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Does anybody know the difference between a Warrior QR and Warrior QR1?
Basically I was thinking of getting this. http://www.totalhockey.com/product/Covert_QR_Pink_Grip_Composite_Stick/itm/16763-41/?mtx_id=0
Edit: Please I just want to know the difference from that and a QR1, or if that is a QR1 and they just called it a QR because of the limited edition color. It does still have the same description. :)

Well, it's been a couple years, and these things are still for sale. I may pull the trigger on one of these for 110, just for the heck of it.

I've been slowly moving up stick levels. Went from Nexus 6000, to QR3, now looking to do QR1, or even an old APX2.

Dumb question, but... Sticks that are 3-4 years old wouldn't have any additional problems or side-effects to worry about due to age, would they? I know the technology isn't as advanced, but I feel like the lighter I get with the stick, the more I love it (due to puck feel). I'm not exactly ripping slapshots or anything, mainly just puck handling and making passes.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Well, it's been a couple years, and these things are still for sale. I may pull the trigger on one of these for 110, just for the heck of it.

I've been slowly moving up stick levels. Went from Nexus 6000, to QR3, now looking to do QR1, or even an old APX2.

Dumb question, but... Sticks that are 3-4 years old wouldn't have any additional problems or side-effects to worry about due to age, would they? I know the technology isn't as advanced, but I feel like the lighter I get with the stick, the more I love it (due to puck feel). I'm not exactly ripping slapshots or anything, mainly just puck handling and making passes.

Nope. Sticks don't 'expire'.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I bought an All Black Hockey Stick and I don't recommend it. It feels heavy to me, and I'm very weight-sensitive. It's a damn brick compared to my Sherwood T120.

It's fine, I'll use it for roller hockey.

PS: I LOVE my Sherwood T120. It's light as a feather and has nice pop.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
For those of you who have used both the top end and 2nd from the top sticks (example: 1x and x900). How have they compared? I've been using the top end stick from each line for the last 5 years and want to know if its worth it to just drop to an x900 or N9000. I'm a decent player and will notice the difference if its there but I want to know from others if they have experience/thoughts on this. Thanks to anyone who answers

My friend has a N9000 and he had a 1N just before that, he didn't notice a big difference. The feel is the same, it's just heavier because it uses a different composite (Textreme vs 12K).

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
My current sticks are 85 flex, 60" sticks with 3-4" extensions added. Does that bring the total flex down closer to 75? Looking at possibly buying one of the warrior pro level sticks that are 63" long and thinking I should go with 75 flex on those instead of the 85. I think I'd be better served with the longer stick instead of adding a 4" hunk of wood at the end of the stick. Might mess up the weight distribution I'm used to but my goal is to lighten the stick some more.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My current sticks are 85 flex, 60" sticks with 3-4" extensions added. Does that bring the total flex down closer to 75? Looking at possibly buying one of the warrior pro level sticks that are 63" long and thinking I should go with 75 flex on those instead of the 85. I think I'd be better served with the longer stick instead of adding a 4" hunk of wood at the end of the stick. Might mess up the weight distribution I'm used to but my goal is to lighten the stick some more.

That's a wise decision. How tall are you, out of curiosity?

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
anyone know if p40 is just done for ccm? i know p30 is a variation and i havent seen any mack curves for the newest gen sticks.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
anyone know if p40 is just done for ccm? i know p30 is a variation and i havent seen any mack curves for the newest gen sticks.

It's not done, but if you want the P-40 in a retail version, you limited to only the top end ($300 +) models, so either the:

Ribcore Trigger PMT

SuperTacks 2.0

RBZ FT1

Looks like CCM has really cut down on the available curves in the 3 lower price points, pretty much just the Crosby (P-29), McDavid (P-28), the Parise (P-30). The lowest price point only has the Crosby and McDavid.

Stinks for guys like me who us either the P-19 (now discontinued) or my 2nd choice, the P-38.

The Ribcore Trigger PMT for example costs $390 taxes included at my local Sportchek.

I'm using a pro stock Ultra-Tacks P-19 now, and I guess I'll stick to pro stock P-19s and P-38s if/when that breaks, get them much cheaper, I'll take the risk of no warranty. I can't justify dropping almost $400 bucks on a stick just to get the curve I want.

pateman

Feb 22, 2017

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty much what all the kids are playing with these days too, in terms of new sticks. Love the design of the P38 too much though.

Yeah it's a great curve.

I like it better than the P-19, but I got a great deal on my pro stock Ultra-tacks and they never had any P-38s.

When my Ultra-tacks is done I'm going to switch back to the P-38.

I did come across one Trigger 2 PMT with a P-38 curve, but the price was too prohibitive at this time.

Philip Kessel

Jun 10, 2015
thanks bruins! I actually work at a hockey shop and havent gotten any mack curves in, only p28,p29,p30. Luckily I can order them in for over half off just wasnt sure if id be able to get a mack curve. Again thx

pateman

Feb 22, 2017
Yeah it's a great curve.

I like it better than the P-19, but I got a great deal on my pro stock Ultra-tacks and they never had any P-38s.

When my Ultra-tacks is done I'm going to switch back to the P-38.

I did come across one Trigger 2 PMT with a P-38 curve, but the price was too prohibitive at this time.

Don't be surprised if they slowly show up on Sideline Swap. The 2.0 is all over there now and with the training camps underway everywhere and preseason, I have a good feeling about it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Don't be surprised if they slowly show up on Sideline Swap. The 2.0 is all over there now and with the training camps underway everywhere and preseason, I have a good feeling about it.

Never heard of it but I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You guys should try True sticks. They offer a lot more curves than CCM.

Not really correct, CCM offer 9 different curves in retail, vs. True that offer 8. Perhaps True offer a more wider variance in terms of curves than CCM, I don't know, I haven't looked that closely.

I will say, I play with a guy who just picked up the A-series top model with a MC curve, and he says it's great.

I sized up the curve and it looks good. I'd really like to see the MC-2 up close in person to figure out which I like more (I know it's one or the other for me), but I haven't seen on around my neck of the woods to make a comparison.

I was actually seeking a True stick before I got my deal on the pro stock Ultra tacks. Pickings were slim at the time at my LHS(s).

If/when I have to look for another twig, I'll be considering a True with the MC or MC-2.

I'll also say this for True, with the top end Bauers and CCMs creeping up in price each year (seriously a new Trigger 2.0 will run me $390 taxes in) if True can keep their top models at the $299.99 price point, they will start to cut into the market share of Bauer and CCM even further.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Not really correct, CCM offer 9 different curves in retail, vs. True that offer 8. Perhaps True offer a more wider variance in terms of curves than CCM, I don't know, I haven't looked that closely.

I will say, I play with a guy who just picked up the A-series top model with a MC curve, and he says it's great.

I sized up the curve and it looks good. I'd really like to see the MC-2 up close in person to figure out which I like more (I know it's one or the other for me), but I haven't seen on around my neck of the woods to make a comparison.

I was actually seeking a True stick before I got my deal on the pro stock Ultra tacks. Pickings were slim at the time at my LHS(s).

If/when I have to look for another twig, I'll be considering a True with the MC or MC-2.

I'll also say this for True, with the top end Bauers and CCMs creeping up in price each year (seriously a new Trigger 2.0 will run me $390 taxes in) if True can keep their top models at the $299.99 price point, they will start to cut into the market share of Bauer and CCM even further.

What I meant to say is that it's easier to find the rare curves from True at my LHS than in the CCM sticks. They offer the TC2.5, which is the P92 lie 5 from Bauer that a lot of people look for.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What I meant to say is that it's easier to find the rare curves from True at my LHS than in the CCM sticks. They offer the TC2.5, which is the P92 lie 5 from Bauer that a lot of people look for.

I can see that. At my LHS(s) it's hit and miss. Some don't carry True at all as of yet, but that will likely change.

Another thing that I think has an impact is they don't market a particular curve after a certain player.

It's no surprise that McDavid and Crosby CCM curves are the bulk of what my LHS stick racks carry, and that CCM have started only offering these two curves in their lowest price point models.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad