Steven Stamkos vs. John Tavares

Who is the better player today?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Probably not either considering he's only in year 2 of a 7 year contract that takes him to 34... but he's also way better than Tavares and has less wear & tear so his chances are higher, he also hasn't had an underperforming season yet under his new contract while Tavares has.
Tavares had a great first year in Toronto and in his second year he had injuries which is why his stats went down. So you can't say with 100% certainty that he already underperformed his contract.

I know this season it's only been 7 games played however Tavares is off to a better start with his 4 goals, 3 assists, and 7 points.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tavares had a great first year in Toronto and in his second year he had injuries which is why his stats went down. So you can't say with 100% certainty that he already underperformed his contract.

I know this season it's only been 7 games played however Tavares is off to a better start with his 4 goals, 3 assists, and 7 points.

Yes I can because it's 100% correct. His 2nd year was a huge underperformance for his caphit.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes I can because it's 100% correct. His 2nd year was a huge underperformance for his caphit.
Because he went into that season with an oblique injury and on October 16, 2019 he broke a finger blocking a shot and missed 7 games because of that. So you won't even admit that would cause his stats to go down? Like I said before in the 2018-19 Season and so far this year he's 100% healthy and it's showing with his play.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I thought Stamkos re-signed for $8.5 million because he can make up that money with the no state tax in Florida.

So if he decided to become an UFA like Tavares did, I can guarantee teams who wanted him would have paid him at least $10 million AAV at a minimum.
He signed that because he wanted to win a cup, play on a team that is more competitive, play for a better ran organization, and live in a better place for him. Can you blame him? He is the better player and it is not even close.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
But even now with Tavares' talent upgrade since his Toronto move, Stamkos is still outproducing him.

Last season, Stamkos had 6 more points in 6 less games than Tavares. The year prior, he had 10 more points in the same number of games. This year, he's played 3 less games than Tavares and has 1 less point. It's too early in the season to glean anything meaningful, but he's still outpacing him.
The Toronto bias is real from their fans. HF Poll numbers are not even close . We are almost at a 2/1 ratio

1. *
    Steven Stamkos

192 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. John Tavares

112 vote(s)
    36.8%

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Because he went into that season with an oblique injury and on October 16, 2019 he broke a finger blocking a shot and missed 7 games because of that. So you won't even admit that would cause his stats to go down? Like I said before in the 2018-19 Season and so far this year he's 100% healthy and it's showing with his play.
Stamkos has had several severe injuries and is still out producing JT. I don't think the injury excuse works for JT in this favor.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Stamkos has had several severe injuries and is still out producing JT. I don't think the injury excuse works for JT in this favor.
Stamkos best career linemates (at least 1 full season together)

- Art Ross winning MSL
- Art Ross and Hart winning Kucherov
Stamkos career average over 82 games = 85 points

Tavares best career linemates:

- 22 year old Mitch Marner who despite averaging 93 points the last 2 seasons, is not on the level of prime MSL or Kuch.
Tavares career average over 82 games = 78 points.

JT career FO% = 51.3
Stamkos career FO% = 49.3

JT career playoff #'s - 30 points in 36 games, 0.83 ppg
Stamkos career playoff #'s - 54 points in 71 games, 0.76 ppg.

So Stamkos drops off from a 1.04 ppg in the regular season to a 0.76 ppg in the playoffs while Tavares goes from averaging 0.95 ppg in the regular season to 0.83 ppg in the playoffs...interesting.

Try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPS

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Stamkos would probably be the better player if he could manage to stay healthy. That being said, most teams would value Tavares more highly given the gap isn't that wide and Stamkos is far more injury prone.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

- Art Ross winning MSL

- 22 year old Mitch Marner who despite averaging 93 points the last 2 seasons, is not on the level of prime MSL or Kuch.

JT career FO% = 51.3

JT career playoff #'s - 22 points in 24 games, 0.92 ppg

So Stamkos drops off from a 1.04 ppg in the regular season to a 0.76 ppg in the playoffs while Tavares goes from averaging 0.95 ppg in the regular season to 0.92 ppg in the playoffs...interesting.

Try again.

Did you just omit 12 playoff games from Tavares' career for some reason other than to make his career PPG higher than it actually is?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

- Art Ross winning MSL

JT career FO% = 51.3

So Stamkos drops off from a 1.04 ppg in the regular season to a 0.76 ppg in the playoffs while Tavares goes from averaging 0.95 ppg in the regular season to 0.92 ppg in the playoffs...interesting.

Try again.

You also forgot to add goal scoring proficiency, goal scoring is an important discussion point when comparing both players.

Stamkos
G/GP = .525 projected over 82 games. 43 goals per season.
Tavares
G/GP = .425 projected over 82 games. 35 goals per season.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Did anyone say Stamkos career was on the decline after his injuries since that was said about Tavares after his second season with Toronto? Technically speaking Stamkos is older since he was born on February 7, 1990 and Tavares was born on September 20, 1990. However why is something like that only said about Tavares? So I think some of that is the Toronto factor and the hate Maple Leafs players get.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Did anyone say Stamkos career was on the decline after his injuries since that was said about Tavares after his second season with Toronto? Technically speaking Stamkos is older since he was born on February 7, 1990 and Tavares was born on September 20, 1990. However why is something like that only said about Tavares? So I think some of that is the Toronto factor and the hate Maple Leafs players get.
Yes, many people questioned whether he would ever get back to his previous form or not. So stop the pity party, it’s not always leaf hate. Questioning if Tavares was declining last season is 100% valid. Tell me how you think Tavares wasn’t declining without mentioning his injuries or 1st season in Toronto?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

- Art Ross winning MSL

JT career FO% = 51.3

Try again.

Everything until the playoff part is a valid point, Tavares has 30 points in 36 games.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, many people questioned whether he would ever get back to his previous form or not. So stop the pity party, it’s not always leaf hate. Questioning if Tavares was declining last season is 100% valid. Tell me how you think Tavares wasn’t declining without mentioning his injuries or 1st season in Toronto?
It's fair to say that Tavares did not have a good season last year and that was due to his injuries and the 7 games he missed, so that would effect his stats.

However some people said Tavares career was on the decline because of last season and were not willing to give him any benefit of the doubt, even though it was only 1 year earlier when he had his career season in Toronto.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Oiler fans loving to give their opinions on everything Leaf related only to complain when the same is done to their players never gets old. :popcorn::laugh:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It's fair to say that Tavares did not have a good season last year and that was due to his injuries and the 7 games he missed, so that would effect his stats.

However some people said Tavares career was on the decline because of last season and were not willing to give him any benefit of the doubt, even though it was only 1 year earlier when he had his career season in Toronto.
I asked you to say how he wasn’t declining without mentioning injuries and his 1st season in Toronto.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I asked you to say how he wasn’t declining without mentioning injuries and his 1st season in Toronto.
It wasn't until last week when Gord Miller said on the Toronto vs Edmonton broadcast that Tavares also had an oblique injury going into last season and no one knew anything about that. So like it or not that along with his broken finger that caused him to miss 7 games played a factor.

Now the only non injury reason would be how Tavares and his wife had their first kid. So what did a major life change like that do to his game?

So the fact Tavares is 100% healthy and has 4 goals, 3 assists, and 7 points in 7 games played only proves the injuries he had last season was a factor why his stats declined compared to his 2018-19 Season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It wasn't until last week when Gord Miller said on the Toronto vs Edmonton broadcast that Tavares also had an oblique injury going into last season and no one knew anything about that. So like it or not that along with his broken finger that caused him to miss 7 games played a factor.

Now the only non injury reason would be how Tavares and his wife had their first kid. So what did a major life change like that do to his game?

So the fact Tavares is 100% healthy and has 4 goals, 3 assists, and 7 points in 7 games played only proves the injuries he had last season was a factor why his stats declined compared to his 2018-19 Season.
You make it sound like Tavares is the only player that has had children while playing hockey. 7 pts in 7 games is a sedate standard to set when a player is paid 11M. Tavares has 2 ES points in 7 games. Justin Holl has 4 ES points. I would hold the horses in declaring Tavares is having a great season. I've pointed to his ES proficiency or lack of it in 2 of his last 3 seasons before. This is not surprising. We will see if he can pick up the pace in ES scoring. Thus far, declining effectiveness 5v5 is still plaguing him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares is a cancer
What proof do you have to back up that type of claim?

Here are quotes from his former Islanders teammates when Rob Schremp was giving him criticism.

Islanders players come to Tavares' defense after Schremp's criticism

"He was by no means a bad leader or a bad teammate," New York forward Matt Martin told Sportsnet's Eric Francis. "I think he was a good captain, led by example, played hard every night, and really cared about the organization and the team."

"It's silly to me," Islanders defenseman Thomas Hickey said. He then added an anecdote about when Tavares lost the 2014-15 scoring title by a single point after asking for his deflection to instead be credited to Hickey on a goal about halfway through the season.

Jordan Eberle agreed.

"If the team isn’t having success and he is, it’s not his fault. I’ve never seen him be selfish," he said. "(The tweet) was a bit surprising. I was shocked, because I know John and played with him and I think the majority of guys who played with him will say the same thing."

Tavares had individual goals but the team was his top priority, according to Andrew Ladd.

"The way he takes care of himself and all that - he wanted to be the best," he said. "That’s his goal. Everything he did was for the group. Nothing but good things from me as a teammate. He’s got a good rep in this room."

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

- Art Ross winning MSL

JT career FO% = 51.3

JT career playoff #'s - 30 points in 36 games, 0.83 ppg

So Stamkos drops off from a 1.04 ppg in the regular season to a 0.76 ppg in the playoffs while Tavares goes from averaging 0.95 ppg in the regular season to 0.83 ppg in the playoffs...interesting.

Try again.

Tavares playoff production comes from the easiest rounds in the playoffs and he still loses them..try again. Or have the leafs made it out of round one yet? Correct me if I'm wrong.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You make it sound like Tavares is the only player that has had children while playing hockey. 7 pts in 7 games is a sedate standard to set when a player is paid 11M. Tavares has 2 ES points in 7 games. Justin Holl has 4 ES points. I would hold the horses in declaring Tavares is having a great season. I've pointed to his ES proficiency or lack of it in 2 of his last 3 seasons before. This is not surprising. We will see if he can pick up the pace in ES scoring. Thus far, declining effectiveness 5v5 is still plaguing him.
Tavares having a kid was the only non injury reason I could think of. Personally speaking I rather not mention their personal lives like that when discussing a players reason for struggling.

Last edited:

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

So again, you can’t find a reason for his decline without mentioning injuries

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So again, you can’t find a reason for his decline without mentioning injuries
I also mentioned him and his wife having their first kid, which is something Leafs fans brought up last season.

You are not willing to accept that his injuries was a factor when you look at his starts in 2018-19 and 2019-20, along with his start this year which is similar to how he looked in his first year with Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad