Steven Stamkos vs. John Tavares

Who is the better player today?

• Total voters

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
The money any player makes seems to matter if you want to bash them, because that's what others have done when they bring up how Tavares is overpaid at $11 million.
So bringing up that Tavares makes more than he should for being PPG is bashing but calling Galchenyuk a disappointment literally one minute ago is acceptable to you?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
So bringing up that Tavares makes more than he should for being PPG is bashing but calling Galchenyuk a disappointment literally one minute ago is acceptable to you?
Tavares was also on the decline because of his injuries from last season according to the people who said he's overpaid.

As for what I said about Galchenyuk on that Canadian Division thread, his stats since being drafted all show he was a disappointment for being a 3rd overall pick. Plus the fact he's on his 4th different NHL team since the 2018-19 Season.

So they are two completely different situations and are not comparable.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Tavares was also on the decline because of his injuries from last season according to the people who said he's overpaid.

As for what I said about Galchenyuk on that Canadian Division thread, his stats since being drafted all show he was a disappointment for being a 3rd overall pick. Plus the fact he's on his 4th different NHL team since the 2018-19 Season.

So they are two completely different situations and are not comparable.
They’re comparable for the fact that you seem to think it’s fine if you s**t talk a player but cry every time someone doesn’t say the most flattering thing about a leaf player. Why is it ok for you to bash players of other teams but you complain every time someone else does it?

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Stamkos best career linemates (at least 1 full season together)

- Art Ross winning MSL
- Art Ross and Hart winning Kucherov
Stamkos career average over 82 games = 85 points

Tavares best career linemates:

- 22 year old Mitch Marner who despite averaging 93 points the last 2 seasons, is not on the level of prime MSL or Kuch.
Tavares career average over 82 games = 78 points.

JT career FO% = 51.3
Stamkos career FO% = 49.3

JT career playoff #'s - 30 points in 36 games, 0.83 ppg
Stamkos career playoff #'s - 54 points in 71 games, 0.76 ppg.

So Stamkos drops off from a 1.04 ppg in the regular season to a 0.76 ppg in the playoffs while Tavares goes from averaging 0.95 ppg in the regular season to 0.83 ppg in the playoffs...interesting.

Try again.
How many times has he led the league in goals or won a cup... I will wait.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I also mentioned him and his wife having their first kid, which is something Leafs fans brought up last season.

You are not willing to accept that his injuries was a factor when you look at his starts in 2018-19 and 2019-20, along with his start this year which is similar to how he looked in his first year with Toronto.
You do realize Stamkos has had more severe injuries and still performs better. You also know he had to deal with issues with wife and pregnancy and loss of a child . The dude has suffered physical and mental pain, but he still out performs JT . Jt is a good player, but Stamkos is a 1st ballet HOF player. WE can agree to disagree , but the majority of the hockey world would take Stamkos any day over JT .

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Clearly Stammer if health weren’t a concern. But, as that isn’t the world we occupy, went with JT — though it’s close.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Yeah that sums it up pretty well. Stamkos healthy is probably better. But i wouldnt trade Tavares for him because of those concerns.
WE will take STamkos and a our cup and you keep JT . Sounds like a great plan to me.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Why would you go see a Maple Leafs game if you are not a fan of them?
Weird question. When I vacation I always catch a game and explore a new stadium. Doesn’t matter who is playing. Every environment is different and cool in its own way that I’ve been to.

Reactions: Dache

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Weird question. When I vacation I always catch a game and explore a new stadium. Doesn’t matter who is playing. Every environment is different and cool in its own way that I’ve been to.
Every December until last year because of Covid I would go on vacation to Orlando. However I don't drive the 1 hour to Tampa just to see the Lightning play. The only time I have done that if the Maple Leafs happened to be playing them, which is something I got to do in December 2007 and December 2018.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Why would you go see a Maple Leafs game if you are not a fan of them?
This is exactly what shows your bias. I’ve seen many games that didn’t have the jets playing. Some people are also a fan of hockey in general

Crow

May 19, 2014
Every December until last year because of Covid I would go on vacation to Orlando. However I don't drive the 1 hour to Tampa just to see the Lightning play. The only time I have done that if the Maple Leafs happened to be playing them, which is something I got to do in December 2007 and December 2018.
It’s more fun when your team is playing for sure but there’s always some exciting player to watch no matter what.

with regard to this thread, I would count on Tavares more than stampkos to stay healthy and productive and probably better in the playoffs (though I only really know stamkos drops off a lot). He is who id want on my team. If they are both healthy and it’s one game I might change my mind.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
This is exactly what shows your bias. I’ve seen many games that didn’t have the jets playing. Some people are also a fan of hockey in general
If that's how you want to spend your time and money go ahead.

I personally would not waste my time and money going to a game between two teams who I'm not a fan of.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I live in Ontario. The two closest teams for me to watch a game in person are Ottawa and Toronto. Why *wouldn't* a hockey fan go see a game live even if they're not a fan of the home team?
A lot of the posts I see from @Rhaegar Targaryen about the Maple Leafs are always negative, so I found it strange he would go to see one of their games in person.

Even though your a Penguins fan and live in Ontario, if you want to see a game in person that's ether Toronto or Ottawa there is nothing wrong with that.

Like I said before it's something I personally would not do if I was on vacation in Orlando because I could do other things with my time. That's why the only two times I have been to Amalie Arena was when the Maple Leafs were scheduled to play the Lightning, because it happened to work out since I was already 1 hour away on vacation.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
If that's how you want to spend your time and money go ahead.

I personally would not waste my time and money going to a game between two teams who I'm not a fan of.
I know you wouldn’t. That’s my point. You’re not a hockey fan, you’re a leafs fan and that’s where it ends

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I know you wouldn’t. That’s my point. You’re not a hockey fan, you’re a leafs fan and that’s where it ends
I can be both a Leafs and and a Hockey fan, because I do watch other games on TV when Toronto is not playing. I just choose not to spend my time and money on tickets if I happened to be in another NHL city to see a game played if that team is not playing Toronto. So you have no right to say I'm not a Hockey fan.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
A lot of the posts I see from @Rhaegar Targaryen about the Maple Leafs are always negative, so I found it strange he would go to see one of their games in person.

Even though your a Penguins fan and live in Ontario, if you want to see a game in person that's ether Toronto or Ottawa there is nothing wrong with that.

Like I said before it's something I personally would not do if I was on vacation in Orlando because I could do other things with my time. That's why the only two times I have been to Amalie Arena was when the Maple Leafs were scheduled to play the Lightning, because it happened to work out since I was already 1 hour away on vacation.

The tickets were given to me. The Leafs are one of my favourite teams in the league, I’m just one of the realistic fans.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
We’ll think about it for a minute.

Let’s say this guy is in Toronto.
Why would anyone from Toronto travel hours away to Ottawa, Montreal or the states to watch a game of teams they are not fans of?

“Hmmm. Do you know I want to do today? I want to travel to another country and watch the Sabres play another team. No scratch that. I want to drive for 6 hours to Montreal to watch the Habs play against whoever.”

that’s not gonna happen because those are dumb financial decisions.
On top of that it’s a waste of time.

Now if I’m visiting Montreal. I’ll definitely watch a game. I’ve done that plenty of times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad