Post-Game Talk: Stars 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Iafallo does fit well as the 3rd piece to Ehlers and Monahan as well. He does all the dirty work and that's something Perfetti can't quite do at his stage of development.

With Gabe out I can see Iafallo getting bumped up, as Gabe serves a similar role with Scheifele line.

Perfetti hasn't looked bad, just not where he needs to be as a top six on a top playoff team.

Hopefully Cole can get back on track because he will need to learn to play a mistake free game in lower minutes. It would be hard to argue that Barron isn't ahead of him on the depth chart at the moment.
Last time Vilardi was out, Iaffalo was not bad on the top line. If several of those not practicing today are out, Perfetti will likely get a shot on the second line again, I guess reunited with Names there if Monahan is out too?

Man, if all four listed are out, Jets will be seriously undermanned. Who do they even have to pull out of the press box forward-wise? I'm assuming they're expecting at least a couple of them to be good to go given no emergency call-ups (yet)?

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
The Moose just called up a defenseman and a forward from the East Coast. Maybe arranging for some Jets call ups?

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
I would give Perfetti another shot in the top 6 and see if he can get back to playing at the rate he did the first 40 games. A show of confidence from the staff at this point may just give him the jolt he needs to get his confidence back. Do it over the next 5 games so you see if you have the solution in house or you need to go out and get a middle six player at the TDL.

He has the skill and shown the ability earlier and if it works it is the best thing for the team in the long run as it costs nothing and you continue to develop a prime asset. If it doesn’t, then you have time to get someone in for the remainder of the year.

He still is top 6 in team scoring, is near the top in PP goals and points and his underlying numbers are still good despite the extended slump.

Dirtbag151

Feb 6, 2021
Playing with fire to have so maybe injury prone guys in our forward core but damn what are the odds they all get hurt at the same time?
I find it amusing when people call professional hockey players whom play THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF HOCKEY 82 games plus a year with full contact practices in between games and travel in between games 'INJURY PRONE"....how many days of work you miss with a sore back or a cold ?
these are elite athletes that will get hurt....... doesn't mean they are prone to injury...just means they may have gotten body checked at 20 mph by a 6'4 220 pound guy...or hit with a puck going 100mph...hell I broke a wrist walking on snow to my car ffs

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I would give Perfetti another shot in the top 6 and see if he can get back to playing at the rate he did the first 40 games. A show of confidence from the staff at this point may just give him the jolt he needs to get his confidence back. Do it over the next 5 games so you see if you have the solution in house or you need to go out and get a middle six player at the TDL.

He has the skill and shown the ability earlier and if it works it is the best thing for the team in the long run as it costs nothing and you continue to develop a prime asset. If it doesn’t, then you have time to get someone in for the remainder of the year.

He still is top 6 in team scoring, is near the top in PP goals and points and his underlying numbers are still good despite the extended slump.
Yeah I think that's a good idea. He has played significantly better over the past couple of games, outside of that giveaway which has never really been a problem with him.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
As someone who barely knows anything about him.... His play was impressive last night notably his 2-way effort. Their first two picks from 2021 seem to be trending really well.
He showed up pretty often on the local sports report when I lived in B.C. I think he was from Kamloops or someplace nearby. But that's about all I remember about him.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I find it amusing when people call professional hockey players whom play THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF HOCKEY 82 games plus a year with full contact practices in between games and travel in between games 'INJURY PRONE"....how many days of work you miss with a sore back or a cold ?
these are elite athletes that will get hurt....... doesn't mean they are prone to injury...just means they may have gotten body checked at 20 mph by a 6'4 220 pound guy...or hit with a puck going 100mph...hell I broke a wrist walking on snow to my car ffs
Really sucks that Vilardi is banged up as he was really starting to be more physical.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
unless somebody is going on ir then no

Yup, no roster spots available arm.

He's playing great, Perfetti is not.
Lambert > Perfetti

No he's not and he isn't even matching Perfetti's pace in the AHL at the same age. He's pretty far behind Cole in terms of development. Some of you guys and shiny new toys.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Really sucks that Vilardi is banged up as he was really starting to be more physical.
I agree it is too bad. He has had so many back issues in his career.

He has been brilliant down low on the PP the last 8 games but man at 5 on 5 he has been next level invisible. Very little puck time, big turnovers and losing battles and possession easily. Could be because of injury.

Hope he gets healthy and back to playing well 5 on 5

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Playing with fire to have so maybe injury prone guys in our forward core but damn what are the odds they all get hurt at the same time?
People bashing Bones for not playing Ehlers on the #1 line. Some players just can't handle playing top minutes game after game that's why their on the second line.
That's why you need depth to go advance in the playoffs ... injuries are a killer.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I’m happy to amuse you.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
People bashing Bones for not playing Ehlers on the #1 line. Some players just can't handle playing top minutes game after game that's why their on the second line.
That's why you need depth to go advance in the playoffs ... injuries are a killer.
Makes sense except that vilardi has as much injury history as ehlers...

Reactions: hn777

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think they would be far more likely to break them up if their was another option

How do we know that there is no other option if we haven't even tried any combination other than Connor-Scheifele together? Connor played well with PLD, maybe he's a fit with Monahan, we won't know if we won't try it out. Connor also looked good the first few games back from injury with Lowry as his C, maybe he works well on the Lowry... again the options are there but it seems the coaches have refuse to update whatever their priors are with new information.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Coach Bowness- "We've got to be able to win in different ways in this league. So even (during) that five-game stretch where we weren't winning, we just, we were playing well, we just weren't scoring any goals. Now we're a little more offensive, but there you walk that fine line.
Let's not get too wide open right? The goals will come if we play with our good structure and our good pressure. And so we are who we are. And we'll create enough offence and chances from playing good D all over the ice. You win in the playoffs. We win the playoffs by playing good defensive hockey and (taking) what the opposition gives you. So we're walking a fine line with that right now and we're a little loose so we'll tighten it up."

When did he say this? Because the Jets after the Sharks game have been the exact opposite of what he is saying in this quote and some posters here have been saying that but were critisized for not knowing what they are talking about because they are not an NHL coach. Now Bones is singing the same tune as posters here :laugh:

Whether he does what needs to be done to fix it is another question however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad