Post-Game Talk: Stars 4 - Jets 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Yeah I'd like vatrano bc he adds a bit of bite or jam to our top 6 along with being a V good scorer this year. We are on the sorter side when it comes to fwds (not every fwd is soft).
I think he goes for a 1st+ given his season. Idk if we would table our 2025 1st,, or how much more appealing would that be vs a bunch of other teams possibly offering this year's 1st round pick. and Chevy doesn't usually like trading high end prospects.
If he is available for sure a 1st plus as he comes with another year left in his contract. Montreal's 2nd would have to be backed up with a couple of prospects and you're right I don't think Chevy wants to part with any of the higher rated ones that the Ducks would want.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We'll damnit , Dallas seems to have our number so hopefully we return the favor in the playoffs. Gotta say watching Connor float around out there was frustrating, we need way more from him . I would like to see him and Ehlers switch up for a few games. Namestnikov is a gamer , works hard at both ends of the ice every shift. Thought Lowry played hard too but didn't have much help from his wingers . Ok hopefully Vilardi isn't hurt too bad and we come out flying Saturday.... morning.

I get how KC will frustrate some - but he's not a floater.
He works hard on the forecheck and is always coming back with speed -
But he no board battler and will look like a floater in the D zone because of that -
I liked Names on that line - he helped out with that type of work - he's a battler and that is his game.

KC is high end O skill - and not a player that will do what Names does - it won't happen.
So build around that and balance the lines with different strengths - probably a better strategy than expecting a player like KC to become what he never will be.

Vladdy stays on the top line, he really can play anywhere in the lineup
I'd like to see that -

Reactions: Jets 31

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
But he no board battler and will look like a floater in the D zone because of that -
I liked Names on that line - he helped out with that type of work - he's a battler and that is his game.

KC is high end O skill - and not a player that will do what Names does - it won't happen.
So build around that and balance the lines with different strengths - probably a better strategy than expecting a player like KC to become what he never will be.

I'd like to see that -
Connor could do a few things once in while so he isn’t as predictable. Like finish a check or drive wide to the net. Yeah it’s not his natural instinct, but I’ve noticed D narrowing their gap on him knowing he’s gonna cut back entering the zone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I am wondering why Nino didn't play the last 5 or so minutes. I looked like Cole took his spot on that line the last few shifts of the game.

Hopefully he isn't also knocked up. Would be an odd choice of a player to sit if that is what happened.

Edit:
On further investigation it was more like he didn't play the last half of the third period. Very odd.

Reactions: hn777

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I'd like to see that -
I totally agree with everything you are saying about Connor but it just gets frustrating to watch sometimes, not always but sometimes.

I am wondering why Nino didn't play the last 5 or so minutes. I looked like Cole took his spot on that line the last few shifts of the game.

Hopefully he isn't also knocked up. Would be an odd choice of a player to sit if that is what happened.
Agreed, i would have sat Appleton before Neo .

Reactions: LowLefty

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor could do a few things once in while so he isn’t as predictable. Like finish a check or drive wide to the net. Yeah it’s not his natural instinct, but I’ve noticed D narrowing their gap on him knowing he’s gonna cut back entering the zone.
Apposing D give him very little room / gap - that's been going on for a while and has ramped up TY.
He's a target - and they know how dangerous he is. His game in the ozone is to set up and look for weaknesses - either finding a man open or he's looking for a route to the net.
Can you imagine how teams would play him if he was to get more involved along the walls or the physical battles that some would like to see more of?
He's be out of the lineup in no time.
As for driving wide to the net, he's not a power forward - you won't see that move too often with this player. I know Ehlers likes to take that route once in a while but he usually ends up behind the net - his bread and butter is also cutting to the center if there's open ice or a route to the net. The little guys are more effective when they have a chance to use their edges - that usually involves making cuts to the middle or spinning off coverage in areas where they have room to move - that's way apposing teams are gapping up on players like this - and they'd love nothing better than to funnel them off into a corner or behind the net - IMO.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
It looks like Bowness will have to make adjustments to the top lines now - if only because of some injuries and not because of his desire to perhaps find some better combos with chemistry. And this is what is so frustrating to me.... . We have given up the opportunity to make planned changes and are just about to have the busiest March ever - with games close together and NO opportunity for practise. Surely this is not optimal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It looks like Bowness will have to make adjustments to the top lines now - if only because of some injuries and not because of his desire to perhaps find some better combos with chemistry. And this is what is so frustrating to me.... . We have given up the opportunity to make planned changes and are just about to have the busiest March ever - with games close together and NO opportunity for practise. Surely this is not optimal.

This is how the lines ended yesterday:

KC Scheifele Namestnikov
Ehlers Monohan Iafallo
Perfetti Lowry Appelton

Lowry played a shift or two with Barron and Cole as well.

I wonder if that is what we see tomorrow

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

That matches what I've seen lately. Our 5 on 5 play hasn't been very good for the most part and we have been relying on a red hot pp and great goaltending to get wins. Starting to feel a bit like 2019 where our play the back half declined.

Bones needs to get this turned around. We are in no danger of not getting a seeded spot but we have some things that need to get fixed.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Looks like Schmidt and Vilardi are banged up. I think it's time to call up Caponbianco or Heinola if 88 is out.
Hard to ignore Capo playing unbelievable this year. Him and Samberg might be a good pair.

We need to see what Heinola can do soon. He said he feels 100% yesterday

I'd also like to see Lambert on the 2nd line, if there are other injuries (Vilardi and Nino potentially injured). Lambert can already skate circles around Perfetti, his speed and shot are NHL ready.

Realistically, we need a top pair RD. A Mo Seider type or Zach Werenski type

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
For most of the game it was looking like the Stars were playing with a much higher pace and intensity than the Jets. That's what's a little frustrating to me about this team. I don't expect them to be playing their A game at 100% for 82 games. And there are always guys nicked up, or under the weather, etc.

But this game should have been one for the group to be ready for and to be ready to use it as a litmus test. But as we've seen too many times in the playoffs, sometimes this team just doesn't show up.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
For most of the game it was looking like the Stars were playing with a much higher pace and intensity than the Jets. That's what's a little frustrating to me about this team. I don't expect them to be playing their A game at 100% for 82 games. And there are always guys nicked up, or under the weather, etc.

But this game should have been one for the group to be ready for and to be ready to use it as a litmus test. But as we've seen too many times in the playoffs, sometimes this team just doesn't show up.
Think it's pretty obvious that the Stars are the better team, no?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Looks like Schmidt and Vilardi are banged up. I think it's time to call up Caponbianco or Heinola if 88 is out.
Hard to ignore Capo playing unbelievable this year. Him and Samberg might be a good pair.

We need to see what Heinola can do soon. He said he feels 100% yesterday

I'd also like to see Lambert on the 2nd line, if there are other injuries (Vilardi and Nino potentially injured). Lambert can already skate circles around Perfetti, his speed and shot are NHL ready.

Realistically, we need a top pair RD. A Mo Seider type or Zach Werenski type

Lambert is currently slumping pretty hard in the AHL. 4 points and -4 in the last 12 games. Probably not the best time to call him up.

I agree but I also think the Stars are the deeper and more talented team. I definitely prefer not to meet them until round 2 after hopefully they and Colorado beat the crap out of each other in round 1 lol.

Reactions: cbcwpg

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I do not think any of those wingers help move the needle towards a Jets cup run along as they refuse to break up Connor and Scheiffle and have Schmidt and Pionk on defence
I think they would be far more likely to break them up if their was another option

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they would be far more likely to break them up if their was another option

I'm not so sure about that. To me it isn't about winger options but center options. We are running out of spots for wingers where they can play to their strengths as is.

We had less winger depth last year but due to having a play driving C in Dubois Bones was willing to split Mark and KC up. We don't have a real play driving C outside of Mark right now so I don't see him splitting them no matter which winger we get.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I'm not so sure about that. To me it isn't about winger options but center options. We are running out of spots for wingers where they can play to their strengths as is.

We had less winger depth last year but due to having a play driving C in Dubois Bones was willing to split Mark and KC up. We don't have a real play driving C outside of Mark right now so I don't see him splitting them no matter which winger we get.
we have monahan now, we have iaffalo in the top 6 we have a spot open in the top 6 for a winger

Reactions: WolfHouse

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
we have monahan now, we have iaffalo in the top 6 we have a spot open in the top 6 for a winger

Monohan isn't a play driving C. Fly drives play on that line. Also Iafallo is on that line to play a specific role as a puck retriever, and board and net front battler. Neither of those roles suit KC. KC also doesn't drive play like Fly.

So say getting an Eberle doesn't really help as he also doesn't fill the digger role that the second line requires.

Reactions: Keystone and hn777

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sometimes you just play and lose to a better team....

Just hoping we don't play Dallas in the playoffs. Need someone else to knock them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad