Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Amazing. I've seen some of the dumbest contracts in NHL history the past few days and the Rangers haven't made any of them. God bless Jeff Gorton. :D

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
When he brought up my Habs, I was somewhat okay with it. $11.5 over 8, not 7 is more term and money I would give him FA due to his injuries so I’m happy. Hope he works out San Jose fans.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
tenor.gif

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Heed, I believe, will be a low key steal of a signing wherever he ends up. If given opportunity, I think he can carve himself a place in the league. Ryan has already shown that to me but it would appear he isn't in the good graces of PDB. They do have guys like Middleton and possibly Roy to compete for jobs. Ferraro could always surprise as well. The only issue I have is that all these guys are not overly physical and big (save Middelton) which could be an issue in the playoffs
As a UMass alum, I hope he does. I've been high on him for awhile.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Never pay for a player beyond 33 years of age as that's about when they begin to fall off a cliff.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Karlsson has a history of getting hurt, but he's not a careless player. His injuries are mostly freak accidents...I think this contract will be fine till the end. He still has potential of being the best defenseman in the NHL next season imo.

Reactions: johan f

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Never mind all the talk about Karlsson and his injury history. That's been hashed and rehashed 100 times.

I want to know how San Jose intends on fielding a contender around his $11.5M cap hit... I don't see it. They have 16 players signed right now for a cap hit of $70.5M....

$12.5M in cap space with Nyquist, Pavelski, Thornton, and Donskoi as UFA's. Meier and Labanc RFA's... Does that $12.5M even cover two of those guys?

Wow...

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Seriously though, what is San Jose's plan here? Move on from Thornton and Pavelski? If not, how do you afford them? Who do you bring back next season? And who do you try and dump to make this a better team? I don't see how this contract allows San Jose to "take the next step" and get over the hump to win a cup... That's not a young team at all. When does Burns start declining? Will Karlsson even come back 100% to start the season?

This signing seems motivated way more by marketing than actually winning a cup.... A player to keep butts in the seats during a rebuild? Someone help me understand.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
They will let pavs walk, shed a few guys for picks and call it a day. Bancer and Timo are likely taking 8 of what's left but I could see bancer getting moved

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Seriously though, what is San Jose's plan here? Move on from Thornton and Pavelski? If not, how do you afford them? Who do you bring back next season? And who do you try and dump to make this a better team? I don't see how this contract allows San Jose to "take the next step" and get over the hump to win a cup... That's not a young team at all. When does Burns start declining? Will Karlsson even come back 100% to start the season?

This signing seems motivated way more by marketing than actually winning a cup.... A player to keep butts in the seats during a rebuild? Someone help me understand.

If Thornton decides to play next season, he will take whatever cap is left because they can do the minimum and throw bonuses at him to compensate him appropriately. They should have the ability to at least move one or both of Braun and/or Dillon. Both would free up 7 million minus whatever to replace them on the third pairing. They could jettison Melker Karlsson at two mil and go from Dell to Bibeau to save 1.3 million. They also have players coming in that could take spots between Chmelevski or Chekhovich in the top nine or Gambrell or True on the 4th line to replace Karlsson. Defense is a little more difficult but they have Ferraro and Sund they just brought in and likely have Merkley to use as trade bait if needed.

We’ll see but they will easily contend next season regardless of the fallout from re-signing EK65.

Reactions: Phu

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
A little too high on the AAV and 2 years too much imho. It’s been clear that EK’s health has interfered w his game. He’s less mobile, making poorer decisions bc he doesn’t have the mobility he once did, and most of all, he’s out of the lineup 20 per year. Let’s see how much he plays on avg. over the course of this contract.

I love his offensive game, but there are red flags w this deal. SJ has very little wiggle room now. Idk.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Read any Sharks related thread on this forum. It has been outlined at least 20 times today.

Reactions: Phu

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If Thornton decides to play next season, he will take whatever cap is left because they can do the minimum and throw bonuses at him to compensate him appropriately. They should have the ability to at least move one or both of Braun and/or Dillon. Both would free up 7 million minus whatever to replace them on the third pairing. They could jettison Melker Karlsson at two mil and go from Dell to Bibeau to save 1.3 million. They also have players coming in that could take spots between Chmelevski or Chekhovich in the top nine or Gambrell or True on the 4th line to replace Karlsson. Defense is a little more difficult but they have Ferraro and Sund they just brought in and likely have Merkley to use as trade bait if needed.

We’ll see but they will easily contend next season regardless of the fallout from re-signing EK65.

Again I ask, what players are they going to bring back, and at what contract? Pavelski and Meier alone are going to eat up that $12.5M in cap space, the way I see it. Probably more, actually.

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
11mil/year for a 40games per season player? lmao

I wonder if they'll do load management with Karlsson

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Again I ask, what players are they going to bring back, and at what contract? Pavelski and Meier alone are going to eat up that $12.5M in cap space, the way I see it. Probably more, actually.

And they would then free up another potentially ten mil with the players moved I said. That’s more than enough for three depth d-men, Labanc, and a couple 4th liners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad