Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Sharks fans would, they would also subtract jumbo and add Kane.

It’s not even just Sharks fans who would do that. Literally anybody who pays attention to hockey outside of their own team would list Hertl and Meier as a part of the Sharks core because they are undoubtedly 2 of the 3 best forwards on the team.

There is no world where the top scoring center and top scoring winger on a team are not both part of the core. Literally no team in NHL history, AHL history, or any other league that plays hockey has ever put together a team in which the top scoring center and the top scoring winger were not part of the team’s core.

Not ignoring Hertl and Meier, just highlighting that they haven't been considered part of the Sharks' core since they joined the team, though they are trending that way. I wouldn't consider Kane a core piece, in the ilk of Kessel/Drouin/Vanek/Galchenyuk/Green. Thornton is still part of your core by virtue of still being on your team; he's important and he's filled a role for several years and you haven't gotten rid of him yet- that's all. You can't discount aged players from your core because they've graduated past your age limit. Third line center has nothing to do with it- the core is just players that you build your team around.

FWIW, I only consider Weber, Price, and Gallagher to be a part of the Habs' core.

By the way that you’re classifying players as part of San Jose’s core, I’m guessing that you considered Plekanec to be part of the core going into last season and not Gallagher.

Reactions: Phu

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This contract will eventually make the contracts for Lucic and Bobby Ryan look like chump change in comparison. $11.5m for eight years is off the charts bad...can only assume Doug Wilson is thinking he won't be around when the proverbial crap hits the fan.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Bit pricey but it's huge for SJ to lock him up long-term
Wish we could have gotten him to replace Trouba

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You can't discount aged players from your core because they've graduated past your age limit. Third line center has nothing to do with it- the core is just players that you build your team around.

You're right, age has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the leading contributors to your team. That is why Meier is a priority signing over Thornton this year.

And why do you consider Gallagher a core player for the Habs but not Kane for the Sharks?

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
what a bunch of dumb****s HFboards is full of.
The core of a team are the players with the long term committed contracts and significant RFA players.
that's:
couture
kane
hertl
meier
burns
karlsson
vlasic
jones

It's usually fans of teams who see their team's constant rise and fall. They can't comprehend a well managed team and are used to the inevitable downfall. They can keep calling it and they can keep being wrong every time. Yea, the Sharks may not have a Cup to show for it yet but they are always in it and not putting on a shit show.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
It’s not even just Sharks fans who would do that. Literally anybody who pays attention to hockey outside of their own team would list Hertl and Meier as a part of the Sharks core because they are undoubtedly 2 of the 3 best forwards on the team.

There is no world where the top scoring center and top scoring winger on a team are not both part of the core. Literally no team in NHL history, AHL history, or any other league that plays hockey has ever put together a team in which the top scoring center and the top scoring winger were not part of the team’s core.

By the way that you’re classifying players as part of San Jose’s core, I’m guessing that you considered Plekanec to be part of the core going into last season and not Gallagher.
Top scorers are not always part of a teams' core. See Devin Setoguchi, Jonathan Cheechoo.

Joe Thornton was a much better player than Plekanec in the final year of his deal. The Habs decided to move in a direction not concerning Plekanec in his final year; his second stint was a thank you and an opportunity to get 1000 games in. They built around him, he was a core player for 8 years previous. Gallagher's been a part of the core since he attained assistant captaincy.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
You're right, age has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the leading contributors to your team. That is why Meier is a priority signing over Thornton this year.

And why do you consider Gallagher a core player for the Habs but not Kane for the Sharks?
They're completely different players. A better comparable would be Drouin.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Top scorers are not always part of a teams' core. See Devin Setoguchi, Jonathan Cheechoo.

Joe Thornton was a much better player than Plekanec in the final year of his deal. The Habs decided to move in a direction not concerning Plekanec in his final year; his second stint was a thank you and an opportunity to get 1000 games in. They built around him, he was a core player for 8 years previous. Gallagher's been a part of the core since he attained assistant captaincy.

Jonathan Cheechoo wasn't a part of the Sharks core when he won the f***ing Rocket Richard?

You should probably not be telling fans of other teams what their cores are and were. Either that or you are just confusing "leadership core" with core players. In which case, it's just a different discussion.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
wow, steep term and money, guy is going to be 37 when this contract is done, my guess is Karlsson does not play out the contract, likely 2 years too long and 2 million too much...

not as bad a deal as Seabrooks though.... LOL

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
wow, steep term and money, guy is going to be 37 when this contract is done, my guess is Karlsson does not play out the contract, likely 2 years too long and 2 million too much...

not as bad a deal as Seabrooks though.... LOL

Let me ask you this honestly: why do you not think Karlsson plays out this contract? The final regular season game is at the age of 36. Do you think he will not play at the age of 36?

For you, and anybody else who is saying that Karlsson will not play out this contract: who is the last Norris Trophy winner that didn't play in the NHL at the age of 36?

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Jonathan Cheechoo wasn't a part of the Sharks core when he won the ****ing Rocket Richard?

You should probably not be telling fans of other teams what their cores are and were. Either that or you are just confusing "leadership core" with core players. In which case, it's just a different discussion.
It's not my Mark Messier Leadership Award, it basically just boils down to how a player fits with their teams' vision.
Tenure, scoring, captaincy, role, term, buncha stuff.

I just see some players on your team differently than you do, that's all.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Maybe a million or so overpayment but if that’s what it takes to keep a player of his caliber on your team, you make that payment.

Doug Wilson has proven to be a smart GM by keeping the team competitive for almost two decades now, I have no doubt he will make things work. He will make the appropriate trades while their developing prospects make their way through the system. According to members here, the Sharks window has been closing for 10 years now and yet they make the moves to keep contending. This is no different

It may work out, I would wait untill the older guys are gone and EK and Kane are running the show before I count those chickens.
I mean people and things change but those guys put the me in me first.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Let me ask you this honestly: why do you not think Karlsson plays out this contract? The final regular season game is at the age of 36. Do you think he will not play at the age of 36?

For you, and anybody else who is saying that Karlsson will not play out this contract: who is the last Norris Trophy winner that didn't play in the NHL at the age of 36?

Injuries is why I don't think he will play out the contract. He has been pretty durable however my gut tells me that will change and injuries are going to force him out before this contract ends

I don't care to look for the answer to your trivia question as to me its irrelevant to me

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010
Injuries is why I don't think he will play out the contract. He has been pretty durable however my gut tells me that will change and injuries are going to force him out before this contract ends

I don't care to look for the answer to your trivia question as to me its irrelevant to me

He had an injured groin this year, once thats fixed I can't see him not being right? It just sucks it happened this year for Sharks fans. Karlsson has as good a chance as Panarin or Duchene to see out his contract.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Doug Wilson is starting his 16th season as your GM, no Cups and this is the reason why.
No offence but, re-signing Karlsson was not the right move.

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It may work out, I would wait untill the older guys are gone and EK and Kane are running the show before I count those chickens.
I mean people and things change but those guys put the me in me first.

Erik Karlsson played through a severe groin injury and managed to score 16 points in 19 playoff games despite it. He easily could've got groin surgery in January, sat out the playoffs, and still got this contract from San Jose or a better contract from somebody else.

Calling him a guy that "puts the me in me first" shows that you have an agenda here.

lol, except both pavs and joe WILL be retiring in the next year or 2.

Pavelski is going to be retiring next year? What the f***? lol

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Erik Karlsson played through a severe groin injury and managed to score 16 points in 19 playoff games despite it. He easily could've got groin surgery in January, sat out the playoffs, and still got this contract from San Jose or a better contract from somebody else.

Calling him a guy that "puts the me in me first" shows that you have an agenda here.

Im sorry but any coach in his past that asked him to play a team first system or expected smart plays from him he ran out of town. His own teammate said King Karl has issues with others while he rules the land. No agenda just his past. I think he needs Joe around a bit longer to learn about team and mutual respect. And like I said people change and it might work out so nope no agenda.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
He had an injured groin this year, once thats fixed I can't see him not being right? It just sucks it happened this year for Sharks fans. Karlsson has as good a chance as Panarin or Duchene to see out his contract.

Panarin and duchene?

they are both UFA's that don't have a contract as far as I know...

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The only reason anyone thinks this contract is bad, is because a lot of people believe Karlsson's injuries have caught up with him. That's fair, but it's also fair to believe San Jose disagrees with that. If they are right and HF is wrong (entirely possible), then I'd like to hear how this is an awful contract. ?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Im sorry but any coach in his past that asked him to play a team first system or expected smart plays from him he ran out of town. His own teammate said King Karl has issues with others while he rules the land. No agenda just his past. I think he needs Joe around a bit longer to learn about team and mutual respect. And like I said people change and it might work out so nope no agenda.

Guy Boucher's team first neutral zone trap system in 2016-2017 that took Ottawa to the Conference Finals was built around having Karlsson on the ice for half of the game. In those playoffs, at 5V5, the Senators out-scored their opponents 23-11 with Karlsson on the ice, and were out-scored 25-12 without him. They built their system around Karlsson and he carried them to game 7 of the ECF by playing that team first system. Boucher also didn't even get fired until Karlsson was traded.

Which teammate said that? Can I see a source on that quote, please?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Sharks have qualified to the post season 14 times out of maximum 15 under Wilson. (5 Division titles, 1 Conference title)
Thats really good, but Sharks are slowly starting to look like the next Detroit Red Wings (minus the Cups).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad