Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
I feel like this is immediately the worst contract in the NHL.

I feel like.... actually, I don't feel anymore after reading this post. My very soul died after reading this scorchingly hot nuclear take. My body is shutting down and entering permanent stasis because it doesn't want to live in a world where people actually think the best defenseman in the league locked in at 13.85% percent of the salary cap in the first year of the contract, with the cap likely to continue to rise, is the worst contract in a league where Milan f***ing Lucic exists.

Give your balls a tug. Jesus.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
How is it possible that he re-signed with the sharks when it was a forgone conclusion that he was signing with Tampa or New York or Montreal or Ottawa. I’m so confused

Reactions: Mattb124 and Phu

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Burns is 34. yea he just had a really good season but his time is running out, cant expect him to be this good for another 3-5 years.

Sharks core is aging, and while guys like Meire are good, they have no blue chip guys to take over once everyone gets old.
ShArKs CoRe Is AgInG

Literally just added an under 30 year old player to the core. Just stop. Hfboards doesn't know jack shit about shit.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Burns is 34. yea he just had a really good season but his time is running out, cant expect him to be this good for another 3-5 years.

Sharks core is aging, and while guys like Meire are good, they have no blue chip guys to take over once everyone gets old.

Please list the ages of who you consider to be the Sharks core.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Yes the backend of the contract could look bad. But so could the rest of the Sharks long-term deals.

This is basically going all in for the next 3-4 seasons IMO. After that, look to the Sharks being in Red Wings territory (or worse).

Repost from 2012?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
How is it possible that he re-signed with the sharks when it was a forgone conclusion that he was signing with Tampa or New York or Montreal or Ottawa. I’m so confused

Because they fell for his bluff and paid more for him then they should have.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
I would not be surprised if the last 3 years hurt the Sharks but:

- Sharks are pretty much trying to maximize their chances in the next 3 years while Burns is still elite as well.
- Hopefully the cap is to the point by that time that the Sharks do not have to worry about EK65's contract that much.
I would pay him 15 million for 3 years before I did what the Sharks just did.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
As it stands now:
Pavelski 34
Thornton 39
Burns 33
Karlsson 28
Couture 29
Vlasic 31

At some point you'll likely be able to list Meier and Hertl but I wouldn't say that point is right now.

So you are just going to ignore the fact that Hertl and Meier were leading the offensive charge for the Sharks because it doesn't fit your narrative? Also where is Kane?
Thornton is still core as the third line center?

I swear some of you guys are obtuse just to be obtuse.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
Because they fell for his bluff and paid more for him then they should have.

Maybe a million or so overpayment but if that’s what it takes to keep a player of his caliber on your team, you make that payment.

Doug Wilson has proven to be a smart GM by keeping the team competitive for almost two decades now, I have no doubt he will make things work. He will make the appropriate trades while their developing prospects make their way through the system. According to members here, the Sharks window has been closing for 10 years now and yet they make the moves to keep contending. This is no different

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
As it stands now:
Pavelski 34
Thornton 39
Burns 33
Karlsson 28
Couture 29
Vlasic 31

At some point you'll likely be able to list Meier and Hertl but I wouldn't say that point is right now.

39 year old Joe Thornton, the team’s 3rd line center coming off a 51 point season, who might retire next season is part of the core.

Meanwhile, the team’s top center and top winger are players that we will “likely be able to list” as part of the core, but we can’t do that right now.

Thanks for telling us that you know absolutely nothing about the team.

Sjsharks5

Jan 3, 2019
Please list the ages of who you consider to be the Sharks core.
Same poster made the same comment in a thread a few months ago about the sharks core. I listed the Sharks top point producers and their ages, never got a reply after that..

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Maybe a million or so overpayment but if that’s what it takes to keep a player of his caliber on your team, you make that payment.

Doug Wilson has proven to be a smart GM by keeping the team competitive for almost two decades now, I have no doubt he will make things work. He will make the appropriate trades while their developing prospects make their way through the system. According to members here, the Sharks window has been closing for 10 years now and yet they make the moves to keep contending. This is no different

lol, except both pavs and joe WILL be retiring in the next year or 2.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Overpay and give your team the best shot at the cup for the next several years or let the guy walk for nothing with no one to replace him (unless you overpay in free agency) and become irrelevant right away. If they didn't win with him (albeit with injuries), they sure as hell won't win without him. This signing needed to happen. This is a great news and all Sharks fans should celebrate. Now they can focus on other important things like replacing their horrible goaltenders. When was the last time a team with a goalie with a worse or equal Sv% and GAA than Martin Jones win the cup?

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
So you are just going to ignore the fact that Hertl and Meier were leading the offensive charge for the Sharks because it doesn't fit your narrative? Also where is Kane?
Thornton is still core as the third line center?

I swear some of you guys are obtuse just to be obtuse.
Not ignoring Hertl and Meier, just highlighting that they haven't been considered part of the Sharks' core since they joined the team, though they are trending that way. I wouldn't consider Kane a core piece, in the ilk of Kessel/Drouin/Vanek/Galchenyuk/Green. Thornton is still part of your core by virtue of still being on your team; he's important and he's filled a role for several years and you haven't gotten rid of him yet- that's all. You can't discount aged players from your core because they've graduated past your age limit. Third line center has nothing to do with it- the core is just players that you build your team around.

FWIW, I only consider Weber, Price, and Gallagher to be a part of the Habs' core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln