Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Again I ask, what players are they going to bring back, and at what contract? Pavelski and Meier alone are going to eat up that $12.5M in cap space, the way I see it. Probably more, actually.
We can speculate but ultimately thats DW's job. I expect Jumbo Pavs and Meier to all be back next year.

Reactions: Phu

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
For post 2017 EK with injury issues?

YIKESSSSSS. good luck with that contract, SJS. dude can't defend anymore, his skating is getting worse, and is only going to get worse with all the injuries hes had.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
11mil/year for a 40games per season player? lmao

I wonder if they'll do load management with Karlsson

Lol, this post sums up the main boards nicely. He’s averaged 68 games a season over his 10-year career. But 40 though, amirite?

Can’t wait to see EK in teal these next several years. The guy is still awesome to watch when he’s heathy.

Reactions: TheWayToRefJose

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
The Picks they gave up.

Look, EK is good, but In the new NHL you don’t win with guys making 11m, you win with a bunch of guys in the 4-6 million dollar range who will play a team game.

That’s rich coming from a leafs fan lol you have 2 already and likely a third if your fortunate enough to keep him

Sharks have 1

Reactions: minisharkpanther

Dump Itch

Sep 9, 2017
Looks at his career stats - lowest full NHL season was 53 games.
2nd lowest was his debut season at 60 games.
Lol, this post sums up the main boards nicely. He’s averaged 68 games a season over his entire 10-year career. But 40 though, amirite?

You do notice his games played over his career has continued to drop, year after year. He's had 4 injuries in 2019 AND a recent groin surgery. That's before talking about his ankle surgery.

If a player plays 82 games in 1 season and 1 game in the following, would you say he averages 42 games/season?

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
It's like everyone forgot about after his slow start and before his injury when he had 26 points in 18 games and even completely shut down the lightning during that stretch.

But yea, he's washed up and trash.

Has a team ever had 1-2 in Norris voting? If not, it wouldn't be shocking to have it happen next year.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
You do notice his games played over his career has continued to drop, year after year. He's had 4 injuries in 2019 AND a recent groin surgery. That's before talking about his ankle surgery.

If a player plays 82 games in 1 season and 1 game in the following, would you say he averages 42 games/season?

Ok, I’ll bite. Taking your arbitrary two season sample size, he’s averaged 62 games the last two seasons. He’s also averaged 74.5 games the last six seasons following the torn Achilles. I understand some of the health concerns you reference, but saying he plays 40 games a year is ignoring reality.

Reactions: Mattb124 and Phu

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
The difference between the Hawks four and the Sharks were that Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson could play defense. Burns and Karlsson arent exactly known for their defensive abilities.
But they've won Norris Trophies bro, that means they are THE BEST DEFENSEMEN!!! :laugh:

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Don’t think this is as bad as people are making it out to be. Sharks have a 3-5 yr window with Burns and pickles. Adding EK to that window makes their chances of winning a cup in that time much better. Gotta take risk. Don’t worry about the last 3 yrs or so of that contract, will be well worth it if it means their 1st cup. Think they need to figure something out with that goaltending though.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Don’t think this is as bad as people are making it out to be. Sharks have a 3-5 yr window with Burns and pickles. Adding EK to that window makes their chances of winning a cup in that time much better. Gotta take risk. Don’t worry about the last 3 yrs or so of that contract, will be well worth it if it means their 1st cup. Think they need to figure something out with that goaltending though.

Burns is 34. yea he just had a really good season but his time is running out, cant expect him to be this good for another 3-5 years.

Sharks core is aging, and while guys like Meire are good, they have no blue chip guys to take over once everyone gets old.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Is Dreger suggesting that the cap hit will go down for the 2020-21 season?

Like from 83 million to low-80s? That would be a game changer

NHL players will vote this Sept for a lockout. I suspect they will vote yes, but who knows.

So 2020-2021 would be the last year under the CBA IIRC, meaning by September 2021 we could have ourselves another good ole fashion lockout (would be the 4th time under Bettman for those keeping score at home)

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Burns is 34. yea he just had a really good season but his time is running out, cant expect him to be this good for another 3-5 years.

Sharks core is aging, and while guys like Meire are good, they have no blue chip guys to take over once everyone gets old.

Yeah 5 might be pushing it but 3 seems reasonable. If he tails off after that run him on 2nd pair with EK on 1st? Don’t get me wrong the tail end of these contract to EK, Burns, pickles will be rough but it’s better than starting a rebuild now.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007

Same song and dance since 2006....yet here we are.

It will catch up obviously but it's been a decade of this kind of talk

Reactions: FunkyPhin

Sharksfan83

Jul 27, 2010

Meier (22) and Hertl (25) are the Sharks two best forwards, Couture (30) as well. I know they're not superstars (they are genuine 1st liners however), but when your backend has Vlasic (32) plays with Smarts, not physical speed, should age ok. Burns (34) is getting better every year, I can see him playing at the same level for 3-4 years, and Karlsson (29), then you have a very competitive side year in and year out. It's not like their stars are all 35 year old on the downhill slide. We have heard this for the last few years.

The biggest issue the Sharks have is consistent goal tending. Not aging stars.

RoloTonyBrownTown

Oct 31, 2018
Hello there, HFBoards poster here. Just jumping in this thread to say that I am smarter, better trained, and more informed than the medical doctors who actually examined Erik Karlsson and can confidently say, from the toilet where I am currently posting from my phone, that he is indeed "broke" and is only going to play like, twelve games per season before the Sharks have to superglue him back together yet again.

Also, I have raging, borderline painful hardon for old-timey cliches and would also like to mention that defense wins championships, and that Erik Karlsson, not fitting into the only mold of a defenseman my cottage cheese brain can handle, does not play good enough defense.

Thanks for coming to my dumb f***ing TedTalk. Please read my other posts where I maliciously judge teenagers and berate other posters for not placing enough value on some third line center's intangibles.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Yes the backend of the contract could look bad. But so could the rest of the Sharks long-term deals.

This is basically going all in for the next 3-4 seasons IMO. After that, look to the Sharks being in Red Wings territory (or worse).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad