Confirmed Signing with Link: [SJS] Karlsson re-signs (8 years, $11.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Its funny that people are saying the injuries have caught up with him. He's only missed 16 in the 5 years previous to this one and was still almost a PPG on half a groin this year.

They guy is going to be elite for at least another 4 or 5 years.

Reactions: Boy Hedican and Phu

lawrence

May 19, 2012
this is the price tag for elite defenders in the 2020's era. No joke. Wether we think its expensive or not, this is the going rate.

even if San Jose wins one Stanley cup, it's worth it. He is truly a game breaker.

Reactions: JBeast

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Guy Boucher's team first neutral zone trap system in 2016-2017 that took Ottawa to the Conference Finals was built around having Karlsson on the ice for half of the game. In those playoffs, at 5V5, the Senators out-scored their opponents 23-11 with Karlsson on the ice, and were out-scored 25-12 without him. They built their system around Karlsson and he carried them to game 7 of the ECF by playing that team first system. Boucher also didn't even get fired until Karlsson was traded.

Which teammate said that? Can I see a source on that quote, please?

Boro told us of the Karlsson anyway Im not talking about 'points' when things go good and I'm not talking about boucher who had to let Karlsson pick and choose weather or not practice mattered btw. Anyway enjoy I do wish a cup onto Joe before he is gone.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Eh, I would not have signed him (Montréal) for this price but for San Jose it makes sense. Their window for a Stanley Cup is still open for 3 or 4 years so they're investing in it.

We'll see how it turns out.
Nah better sign a f***ing goalie for 11m instead lol

Reactions: Vinny

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Its funny that people are saying the injuries have caught up with him. He's only missed 16 in the 5 years previous to this one and was still almost a PPG on half a groin this year.

People are saying it because he didnt end up signing with their team

Reactions: Phu

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Gamble on physical problems

For any team that can afford LTIR it seems a decent risk.
Wonder what injury exclusions are for insuring his contract?

Loyd’s used to exclude previous injuries for disability, but no idea what,
If any exclusions are part of a policy for his groin/Achilles/etc may be

I could see any deep pockets team taking a gamble on this kind of talent

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Isn't the "half a groin" thing kinda illustrating the point you think is so funny? There's more to a guy being "healthy" into later years than just GP. He's got injury issues with half a groin, and the ankle thing now...how's he gonna be holding up in 8 years???

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Im sorry but any coach in his past that asked him to play a team first system or expected smart plays from him he ran out of town. His own teammate said King Karl has issues with others while he rules the land. No agenda just his past. I think he needs Joe around a bit longer to learn about team and mutual respect. And like I said people change and it might work out so nope no agenda.

EK65 showed this season he can play a team first system. Didn't have to play as many minutes as he did in Ottawa, wasn't the sole focus of the Sharks PP (which was ridiculously dumb on SJS' part).

Meanwhile, he was regularly seen out with Burns and Dillon. He bought tickets to the NBA finals so Logan Couture could see his Toronto Raptors team play.

But yes, you know better, right?

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
This contract will eventually make the contracts for Lucic and Bobby Ryan look like chump change in comparison. $11.5m for eight years is off the charts bad...can only assume Doug Wilson is thinking he won't be around when the proverbial crap hits the fan.

Seriously what is it about Karlsson that attracts the dumbest f***ing posts on HF?

Jayan

NYR fanatic
Jul 6, 2012
erik-karlsson-eugene-melnyk.jpg

Ratatoskr

May 27, 2004
Germany
It wasn't a rhetorical question. Thanks for the answer. Seems like it isn't exactly common.

Do you know what specific injuries caused Potvin to retire?
I'm sorry, I do not.

BTW, the only other Norris winners who retired before their 36th birthday seem to be Bobby Orr and Jacques Laperrière.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca