Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Can't wait to watch Burns be a moron with the puck and have Demelo defend 2 on 1's all night.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California

reading-ikea-intructions-big-lebowski-confused.gif

Reactions: Satastic

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
You know what's depressing as hell? Nobody disagreed with me.

I don't remember the last time where 2 games in I thought, "I may have to start reading up on the top 10 prospects".
Seriously, I am so apathetic with the team right now, they look like they are out there trying to put a square plug in a round hole. Try hard enough and maybe the square pegs corners will break off and we can squeek out a win. The things that stand out is that the team doesnt even appear to try and play fast, even more so on the powerplay. They play this reactionary game (read conservative) and they dont even do that well latel, instead of forcing errors and mismatches with speed (foot or one touch passing). They seem to just nonchalanty think the competition isn't going to press the pace or dictate their own game on the Sharks, especially noticeable on the powerplay and zone entries. I hope attendance issues do become a problem so maybe something will actually be done to make the team exciting again.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
1) The issue with conditional 1sts is that if the condition isn’t met, then the 1st is often deferred to the next year without protection. Next year we could be even worse.

2) Free Joakim Ryan already!

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I think DW did a lowkey tank for McDavid. The most memorable thing he did that year was get in a rift with Thornton. If he continues to not make any moves to improve the team, I'm going to assume it's another lowkey tank. It's not a horrible team where it's an obvious tank but enough to miss the playoffs and get a shot at the lottery.

The Great John Scott

#Trade4JohnScott
Aug 23, 2014
I think DW did a lowkey tank for McDavid. The most memorable thing he did that year was get in a rift with Thornton. If he continues to not make any moves to improve the team, I'm going to assume it's another lowkey tank. It's not a horrible team where it's an obvious tank but enough to miss the playoffs and get a shot at the lottery.
Which is absolutely moronic. Either they should be tanking full-on, or they should be going for it while Thornton is still on the team. Half-tanking/half-competing is a great way to get half of nothing at the end of the season.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
So what do you propose the condition be? The condition on the 1st can’t be “if we end up with a lottery pick you just get nothing.”

Maybe I don't understand what you're saying.

If we get a lottery pick that isn't good enough for you? Can't the condition be that if we do then it carry's over to the next year?

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
So what do you propose the condition be? The condition on the 1st can’t be “if we end up with a lottery pick you just get nothing.”

Are we solely making the trade based on the thought of a full rebuild? Doesn't sound like it based on the pieces.
Why not just 1st if the team makes the playoffs, past second round, finals, whatever. 2nd+ or something if not.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe I don't understand what you're saying.

If we get a lottery pick that isn't good enough for you? Can't the condition be that if we do then it carry's over to the next year?

Maybe it’s just me, but I got a funny feeling that the 2019 Sharks are going to be worse than the 2018 Sharks and I have no interest in giving up a lottery pick next year either.

Are we solely making the trade based on the thought of a full rebuild? Doesn't sound like it based on the pieces.
Why not just 1st if the team makes the playoffs, past second round, finals, whatever. 2nd+ or something if not.

Because there’s a pretty huge difference between a 1st and a 2nd and teams aren’t just going to agree to that.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Maybe it’s just me, but I got a funny feeling that the 2019 Sharks are going to be worse than the 2018 Sharks and I have no interest in giving up a lottery pick next year either.

Because there’s a pretty huge difference between a 1st and a 2nd and teams aren’t just going to agree to that.
Agreed -- no doubt next season's Sharks team is worse, possibly materially worse than this year's version. We can't be trading our 1st rounders, they are going to be very valuable...Just need to nix Wilson/Burke to assure the picks are used on players with more than a 3rd line/2nd pairing potential players.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco

Didn't stop the Phil Kessel trade (pushed back to next season if they miss the playoffs, turns into a 2nd that season if they miss again).
You're acting as if your condition is set in stone, when I wouldn't even call if "often". Quickly looking over trades, conditional 1sts were negotiated twice in the last 6 seasons. 1 with your considerations (Schenn) and one with something similar to what LZ was going for (Kessel).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad