Sharks roster discussion

What should the Sharks do at the trade deadline this season?

• Nothing. They're fine as they are.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade whatever is necessary to add a blue-chip talent for a deep playoff run.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Make minor trades for depth, but don't give up a 1st or any top prospects.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Sell sell sell! This team is going nowhere and it's time to rebuild.

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hah same, I kinda want the team to lose every game BUT Meier and Lebanc to be scoring all the points. Its time to move on from Jumbo and Pavs, I don't think the fanbase (casual) could stomach trading Burns haha so we might just be stuck with a great D unit terrible forwards and a average goalie.
I have a feeling that this is Thornton’s last year in teal. Whether he leaves for free at the end of the year or he’s traded at the deadline, I can’t see him coming back.
If we can get some good picks/prospects for some of our rentals, we could easily come back next year and compete

Thornton for a late 1st or a 2nd+prospect (I’m thinking NSH for a 2nd+Girard/Cartier)
Ward for a 3rd/4th
(Most playoff teams would want him)
Hansen for a 2nd
Martin for a 3rd

*GETS VERY UNREALISTIC HERE*

In the off-season, we sign Tavares and JVR and maybe trade Pavs for some speedy wingers

JVR-Tavares-Labanc
Boedker-Couture-Pavs
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi
Karlsson-Tierney-Carpenter

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Girard/Carrier/UFA-Heed

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I have a feeling that this is Thornton’s last year in teal. Whether he leaves for free at the end of the year or he’s traded at the deadline, I can’t see him coming back.
If we can get some good picks/prospects for some of our rentals, we could easily come back next year and compete

Thornton for a late 1st or a 2nd+prospect (I’m thinking NSH for a 2nd+Girard/Cartier)
Ward for a 3rd/4th
(Most playoff teams would want him)
Hansen for a 2nd
Martin for a 3rd

*GETS VERY UNREALISTIC HERE*

In the off-season, we sign Tavares and JVR and maybe trade Pavs for some speedy wingers

JVR-Tavares-Labanc
Boedker-Couture-Pavs
Meier-Hertl-Donskoi
Karlsson-Tierney-Carpenter

Vlasic-Braun
Ryan-Burns
Girard/Carrier/UFA-Heed

I'd hope that the Sharks could get better return than that. Ward is a proven playoff performer, Hansen is a solid bottom-6 performer on an expiring contract, Thornton's still a top-6 forward...Martin is the one I imagine would net less return, but the Sharks could always withold salary!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'd hope that the Sharks could get better return than that. Ward is a proven playoff performer, Hansen is a solid bottom-6 performer on an expiring contract, Thornton's still a top-6 forward...Martin is the one I imagine would net less return, but the Sharks could always withold salary!
I wouldn't expect more than that. Three of those players are pure rentals and Ward, Thornton, and Martin are older players on pretty big contracts.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I wouldn't expect more than that. Three of those players are pure rentals and Ward, Thornton, and Martin are older players on pretty big contracts.

In some ways, rentals are more valuable since the contract is expiring in a few months. For that reason, I think Thornton and Ward would be pretty valuable; the dollar amount for less than half the season shouldn't scare a contending team away.

Martin might be tougher to move, but the Sharks could take some salary back, and he's still a #4 defenseman.

On the surface, I wouldn't mind moving Dillon/Braun and keeping Martin for that "veteran presence".

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
In a rebuild the only players that should be safe are under 26 years old. If they're going into a rebuild they should fully commit. Suppose we will know in a few weeks, If the Sharks stay sub .500 they have to move guys.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

The Ryan-Burns pairing is doing pretty okay so far...

Ryan's at like a 70 CF% right now. Only caveat is that it's like an 80 ZS% but good showing thus far and if he's stapled to Burns' hip then he'll keep getting those kind of zone starts so it kind of doesn't matter as long as he keeps putting up results.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Ryan's at like a 70 CF% right now. Only caveat is that it's like an 80 ZS% but good showing thus far and if he's stapled to Burns' hip then he'll keep getting those kind of zone starts so it kind of doesn't matter as long as he keeps putting up results.

And to be fair it’s against the Sabres and Islanders. But Burns wasn’t getting those type of results with Martin.

Not trying to draw conclusions from a two game sample size but I really think we need to explore trading a LHD once Martin gets healthy.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
And just like that PDB has moved Donskoi down to the 4th line, and Karlsson up to the second line.

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGHHHHH!!!

that was a spark move in game, hopefully it's not permanent.

that said, karlsson has shown the ability to play up and down the lineup.. it's on donskoi to justify his top 6 role.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
that was a spark move in game, hopefully it's not permanent.

that said, karlsson has shown the ability to play up and down the lineup.. it's on donskoi to justify his top 6 role.

Yeah donskoi hasn't shown he can be an actual top 6 winger since his rookie season. Yes i know the injury, but so far this season he has had no excuses to use.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Donskoi's at least done enough to justify a spot on the 3rd line. Timo-Tierney-Donskoi has been a bright spot. They're trying to make Boedker work in the lineup but he doesn't fit.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Karlsson and Donskoi have had similar ice time this season (11:27 and 11:24 respectively), yet Karlsson has not managed to put up points, and is sitting at a -3 plus minus (Donskoi has 2 points and is a +2).

Donskoi has the 2nd best Corsi on the team (only behind Ryan) at 69.23%, Karlsson is still decent at 54.43.

There is NO justifiable reason that Donskoi should be demoted to the 4th line whilst Karlsson sits on the second line.

For the record, I like Karlsson, but he is not a Top 6 player.

BTW, these were based on lines run at practice.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Typical DeBoer stupidity. Karlsson is nothing more than a 4th liner, and he has looked good in that role. Donskoi is going to suck playing with Carpenter and Ward. He has looked good with Tierney and Meier...whereas Karlsson will look out of place on whatever skill line he's on.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Karlsson and Donskoi have had similar ice time this season (11:27 and 11:24 respectively), yet Karlsson has not managed to put up points, and is sitting at a -3 plus minus (Donskoi has 2 points and is a +2).

Donskoi has the 2nd best Corsi on the team (only behind Ryan) at 69.23%, Karlsson is still decent at 54.43.

There is NO justifiable reason that Donskoi should be demoted to the 4th line whilst Karlsson sits on the second line.

For the record, I like Karlsson, but he is not a Top 6 player.

BTW, these were based on lines run at practice.
There's a tweet after the lines ran in practice that said there shouldn't be any lineup changes for the next game but that might just be in regards to Ward and Goodrow.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
Wilson gave Pete players that cannot score. I'm not shocked he's trying line combos that make no sense.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
How Sorensen isn't getting any minutes is beyond me. Surely he can bring more speed and skill that we so desperately need??

Sorensen will bring speed, but I am not sure how much skill he's going to bring. He didn't strike me as very skilled last year...this might be a bad analogy, but he kind of reminds me of a slightly more skilled version of Karlsson.

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
Taking Donskoi off the 3rd line is nuts. The Tierney, Meier, Donskoi line has looked good. The biggest weak spot for me is Boedker on the 2nd line. He has no business in the top 6 imo. Even when that line was playing well with Hertl he was invisible.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Taking Donskoi off the 3rd line is nuts. The Tierney, Meier, Donskoi line has looked good. The biggest weak spot for me is Boedker on the 2nd line. He has no business in the top 6 imo. Even when that line was playing well with Hertl he was invisible.

Boedker is not our weak spot right now sorry.

That is Thornton, Pavs and Burns. They combined have 1 Es point and 3 total points. That's terrible. Pavs is the worst player on the ice so far this year, he looks slow, weak and the opposite of dangerous with his shots thus far.

Does anyone know why Pavs has taken only 5 faceoffs? Did I miss some sort of surgery or injury to him this offseason?

Boedker atleast has been contributing, our "best" players have done jack shit so far, and if that continues we WILL be a lottery team.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Boedker is not our weak spot right now sorry.

That is Thornton, Pavs and Burns. They combined have 1 Es point and 3 total points. That's terrible. Pavs is the worst player on the ice so far this year, he looks slow, weak and the opposite of dangerous with his shots thus far.

Does anyone know why Pavs has taken only 5 faceoffs? Did I miss some sort of surgery or injury to him this offseason?

Boedker atleast has been contributing, our "best" players have done jack **** so far, and if that continues we WILL be a lottery team.
Pavs is dealing with an injury. That’s why he’s not taking faceoffs. He was held out of the final preseason games and practices because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad