Pre-Game Talk: SENS in California (Ducks), Wed. 10:00pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Some good individuals but not playing like a team. Hoffman is a perfect example of a guy with plenty of talent who accomplishes nothing with all his stick handling & dangling & loses the puck more often than not. They just don't look like an NHL team but more like a bunch of guys in a beer league with no plan at all of what they are doing collectively. The coach & the players are on different planets let alone the same page.

Exactly. I was thinking that 10 minutes ago. They are not a hockey team right now; just a bunch of talented hockey players playing hockey. Unfortunately for them, it's at the highest level and they are facing organized teams

Reactions: Newgates59

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Our goodness players were actually morning bad tonight. Ryan and Hoffman had jump. Duchene was not that great but karlsson looked prime.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I also had a friend who worked season tickets for the senators and he had some inklings that Turris, Stone, and Hoff weren't too happy with Boucher I took it with a huge grain of salt, that was before Turris was moved and the season started.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
That's IF we don't repeat this year's performance and our pick isn't top 5.

If Ottawa traded Duchene for a 1st in 18 and 19, and Ceci for a first in 19, and they finish bottom ten this season, would that not mean they have two 18 firsts and two 19 firsts?

Edit: I know that's ridiculous, because Duchene is hardly worth one first based on his play over the last 14 months.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
I like AJ but he is not a reliable source of information

He isn't trying to sell it just saying he heard it. But Bouchers system seemed to wear on the players in Tampa and Switzerland in the second year.

I think Boucher is a good coach but he seems to be very rigid -maybe he should try to analyze why this same pattern of a good first year and then a big slide the next happens wherever he goes..

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Only criticism I have of EK tonight is he tried to force the puck up the ice into coverage when he had Chabot wide open across the ice. He is not used to having someone there that can move the puck effectively.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007
I can imagine it now. New ownership in time for the draft, Erik Karlsson and Daniel Alfredsson make the selection... Rasmus Dahlin from Frolunda, Sweden...

Reactions: Sensung

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Only criticism I have of EK tonight is he tried to force the puck up the ice into coverage when he had Chabot wide open across the ice. He is not used to having someone there that can move the puck effectively.
Yep, noticed that too. Karlsson definitely had more jump tonight, but his decision-making was suspect. Also, his shots missed the net quite often.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

Hopefully he can get used to it and doesn't only get paired with Chabot when they're down multiple goals.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Three guys I want to salvage from this game:

- Dzingel: lots of jump, created a lot of chances, but as usual no finish. Still, that's better than the rest of the team.

- Harpur: wasn't too noticeable, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Positionally sound, no panic.

- Dumont: forechecking harder than others, making space for his linemates.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
I think they played a lot better than they did against Winnipeg for what it's worth, regardless of the quality of competition between the two.

If they can keep up the intensity they showed between a lot of their main players (Karlsson, Brassard, Dzingle, Pageau, Hoffman, even Ryan) I can see them pulling out a win tomorrow.

Bouchers post game was a little too positive but I did see a different level of play, it's too bad it didn't translate into more goals and a win but I'm hoping it's the first step of getting off the shit ladder

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think they played a lot better than they did against Winnipeg for what it's worth, regardless of the quality of competition between the two.

If they can keep up the intensity they showed between a lot of their main players (Karlsson, Brassard, Dzingle, Paheau, Hoffman, even Ryan) I can see them pulling out a win tomorrow.

Bouchers post game was a little too positive but I did see a different level of play, it's too bad it didn't translate into more goals and a win but I'm hoping it's the first step of getting off the **** ladder

He said the same things so many times during the losing streak. "If only this or only that blah blah blah". The fact is the team just isn't playing well. Having a better effort doesn't mean much when you're in the midst of a season-ending slump. Boucher isn't just a "little too positive", he's in denial.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I think I'm starting to understand why Turris' skills work better on this team than Duchene's. Turris has that game-breaking release on his shot that can come out of nowhere and surprise the goalie. So that means the goal doesn't need to be the product of nice offensive set ups or passing plays. Duchene can certainly stick-handle his way toward the net, but he needs linemates to create space for him or to tap in the rebounds. (that's kind of true of Dzingel as well)

We know Stone also creates his own scoring opportunities regardless of his team mates, and Hoffman's shot is a game-breaking skill that again doesn't require much teamwork.

We're needing the types who can set up good plays, finish the job somebody else started, etc. Well those types could be Karlsson and Ryan, but both are playing through injuries. It's obvious to say, but I think with a 100% Ryan and a 100% Karlsson, we can finally see what Duchene can do. I would also glue Smith to Duchene, because I think he's a good complementary player for him.

bigsby

Jul 11, 2014
Ottawa
He said the same things so many times during the losing streak. "If only this or only that blah blah blah". The fact is the team just isn't playing well. Having a better effort doesn't mean much when you're in the midst of a season-ending slump. Boucher isn't just a "little too positive", he's in denial.

For sure, I even said he was too positive. I was reflecting more that certain players you would expect to actually had hustle tonight relative to all the other losses we've seen recently. There was a bit of a difference tonight and I'm not saying it was the coach, just that there was a difference

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017

He's in denial because he doesn't want to change anything, even though keep doing things the way they've been done the past few weeks will only lead to the same results. You know you're insane when, that kind of thing.

Reactions: freddy61

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought they started the game a little too tentative.. Their confidence is very low right now .. They don't feel they can take it to the other team. Overall they were not bad. I didn't think they dominated for any significant stretches. They are still out of synch .. and its not all just the System,., its little things like winning puck battles and getting to loose pucks, moving the puck quicker and making good quick decisions with the puck . They need a win. Not just a solid game.

Reactions: DrEasy

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Ok ... so let's just say for argument sake we can trade Duchene and get 2 1st round picks... one in 2018 and one in 2019 ... we have just recouped a 2019 pick... We could maybe trade Ceci for a 1st in 2019 .. we get a 2019 pick back.

Have you seen the way Duchene has been playing the last two years?

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think I'm starting to understand why Turris' skills work better on this team than Duchene's. Turris has that game-breaking release on his shot that can come out of nowhere and surprise the goalie. So that means the goal doesn't need to be the product of nice offensive set ups or passing plays. Duchene can certainly stick-handle his way toward the net, but he needs linemates to create space for him or to tap in the rebounds. (that's kind of true of Dzingel as well)

Duchene gets the puck and tries to go to the net almost every time. Turris would stop up, let his teammates catch up or drive to the net, and then take a shot or make a pass. Someone said Duchene has blinders on when he has the puck and that's kind of true. Smith has worked well with him though so hopefully they stick together like you said.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad