Pre-Game Talk: SENS in California (Ducks), Wed. 10:00pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
He was finishing his checks as well ........... I watched the entire game, and if you did, then perhaps you missed it?

I watched the whole game and hardly noticed him. I wouldn't really say I'd agree with your view of his play. Just because he hangs around the crease and annoys other players, isn't enough in my books. He's not having a positive impact on the game, and he is hardly seeing the ice. He totaled 8.5mins of ice time last night and had 5 very short shifts in the last HALF of the game.
I just don't think he's a positive impact on the team.

Also, Colin White has been playing rather well in Belleville. He's had 3 points in his past 3 games. He's also been stuck with anchors of Paul and McCormick for a while...which is difficult to overcome. Plus he's coming back from injury. Most guys take some time to get back up to speed.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why don't you do something productive and worry about the top 6 as we did get shutout. Again. Or did Burrows put stuff in their water bottles too?
See this is what i mean. I am worried about the top 6. I have ripped on them. That doesn't mean that I need to praise some bottom 3 forward for meeting my low expectations of "skating hard". no one should escape blame here. Except for mark stone.

There's this hilarious schtick in the NHL and amongst its fans that when the top 6 is faltering the answer is automatically "but woooowww look at the bottom 6 goooo and especially those bottom 3 forwards wow they're finishing checks they're the only ones playing out there!!" Like no. Sorry. The top 6 is playing poorly. The bottom six is playing poorly. That includes golden boy tom pyatt and alex burrows. There's no "yeah but yo did you see that shift where he hustled and came close?" No. They're playing poor. Burrows. Not playing well. Brassard. Not playing well. Pyatt. Not playing well. Ryan not playing well.

And If some of you think burrows isn't so insignificant and so immune to blame because he means so so so little why are you (not you soecifically) still beating your chest and metaphorically slapping Dorion on the back for acquiring him at a high cost and signing him and such a high cost?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The "go for it" mentality that Dorion displayed in his moves made sense and should be the course for at least the next month.

If the management group decides to go into rebuild mode, they will recoup picks and the picture will look significantly different than it does right now.

I know some posters love to compete for the sky is falling Chicken Little award, but in doing so, they paint completely unrealistic scenarios.
Just because you gave up futures doesn't mean the moves you made were gonna help you win now. Like yeah. The general idea of giving up futures for good players to help you win now and help you improve now... yes lol Dorion gets that. But it's the actual players that he gets wrong

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Also, Colin White has been playing rather well in Belleville. He's had 3 points in his past 3 games. He's also been stuck with anchors of Paul and McCormick for a while...which is difficult to overcome. Plus he's coming back from injury. Most guys take some time to get back up to speed.

Here is a good recap of what Colin White has brought since he was signed last year:

Colin White 13-3-3-6 0.46 (n/a) SHPG 2.53
Contract: 18-19; 1st pro season; last season (NCAA) 0.94
The Sens unwisely burned a year of his ELC last season for no real reason. This year he was injured throughout October and his first month with the BSens has been a disappointment–despite an abundance of skill these are poor numbers (with no points amidst considerable PP time). Much of this struggle is down to linemates.

This was before his current hot streak. Also seems like Coach KK is following the same coaching style as GB and not giving any trio an opportunity to gel.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Just because you gave up futures doesn't mean the moves you made were gonna help you win now. Like yeah. The general idea of giving up futures for good players to help you win now and help you improve now... yes lol Dorion gets that. But it's the actual players that he gets wrong

So sometimes the moves a GM makes don't workout?

Thanks Tips.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
A guy skating hard isn't enough. That's the bare minimum

He actually finished his checks and fought hard along the boards and tried to get first on pucks.

He hasn't done this all year, but last night he did. The timing to criticize burrows is odd after he had a good hard working game for a 4th liner. 2.5 mil worth? No, but solid 4th line hockey? Yes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here is a good recap of what Colin White has brought since he was signed last year:

The Sens unwisely burned a year of his ELC last season for no real reason. This year he was injured throughout October and his first month with the BSens has been a disappointment–despite an abundance of skill these are poor numbers (with no points amidst considerable PP time). Much of this struggle is down to linemates.

This was before his current hot streak. Also seems like Coach KK is following the same coaching style as GB and not giving any trio an opportunity to gel.

Tbh, burning a year of his ELC looks like it will work to our benefit. We'll be in a position to negotiate his next deal with next to no track record for him to use as leverage. His bridge deal will likely come at a discount compared to if we were to be signing it a year later. The only time burning a year of the ELC is a clear loss is when the guy comes into the league hot. So as a hypothetical example, had Columbus burned a year of Werenski's deal by playing him in 2015-16 instead of letting it slide to 2016-17, it would cost them a year of ELC while the player was a key player, and he'd be in a position to sign a massive RFA deal anyways. Unless you think White is going to get a massive RFA deal (unlikely at this point, but things could change) burning a year was inconsequential imo, and potentially beneficial.

Reactions: BondraTime

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
well we made it to the ECF last year with Dorion's moves

No we didn't. We made it so far because we had a generational talent playing 30 minutes a game.

If you don't believe me look at the Karlsson on/off ice splits.

The team went from a lotto contender with him off to a cup contender with him on.

Karlsson was the definition of a player carrying a team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
No we didn't. We made it so far because we had a generational talent playing 30 minutes a game.

The team went from a lotto contender with him off to a cup contender with him on.

No way. DEfinitey dorions acquisition of burrows.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Tbh, burning a year of his ELC looks like it will work to our benefit. We'll be in a position to negotiate his next deal with next to no track record for him to use as leverage. His bridge deal will likely come at a discount compared to if we were to be signing it a year later. The only time burning a year of the ELC is a clear loss is when the guy comes into the league hot. So as a hypothetical example, had Columbus burned a year of Werenski's deal by playing him in 2015-16 instead of letting it slide to 2016-17, it would cost them a year of ELC while the player was a key player, and he'd be in a position to sign a massive RFA deal anyways. Unless you think White is going to get a massive RFA deal (unlikely at this point, but things could change) burning a year was inconsequential imo, and potentially beneficial.

I am not concerned at all about the burning a year aspect. The fact I was hoping to convey was that, much of this struggles is down to linemates .

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Wait are you telling me that Brassard, Pageau, Ryan, Anderson and the rest of the team had nothing to do with us going as far as we did?

Also are you telling me that teams who make it far don't rely on elite players?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
well we made it to the ECF last year with Dorion's moves
Using last years run is fools gold. It was unreal, but that success has led to the vast overrating of where the team was at that point, without losing Methot and Turris.

We needed to win, there will never be such an open route to the Finals again.

This is before Tampa became what they are now, or the Leafs, or the Devils, etc.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Using last years run is fools gold. It was unreal, but that success has led to the vast overrating of where the team was at that point, without losing Methot and Turris.

We needed to win, there will never be such an open route to the Finals again.
There is right now. The league is full of parity rn

I don't think the team was overrated at all tbh

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There is right now. The league is full of parity rn

I don't think the team was overrated at all tbh
And that is more than fair, it's your opinion. I disagreed then, and do now.

But to say that there will be a chance to:

- Finish 6th in the East and have home ice for the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs
- Face a team in the 1st round with 4 of their starting D and #2C out of the lineup
- Face a team like the Rangers in the 2nd round
- Face a team in the 3rd round with 2/4 of their starting D out of the lineup and #1G out of the lineup
- Winner of the Western Conference lose their #1C before the start of the finals

Is very, very unlikely to happen.

Everything went right for the Sens last playoffs. It was a magical run, and one of my favorite spans of watching the Sens. I don't bank on a playoffs unfolding like that again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not concerned at all about the burning a year aspect. The fact I was hoping to convey was that, much of this struggles is down to linemates .

Fair enough. I'm always hesitant to blame a players linemates though particularly when a guy is getting significant PP time as that report seemed to suggest.

Speaking of Power plays, how on earth are we so bad...
10 GP, 3 goals in 50 shots in 34 pp opportunities. Only scored PP goals in 2 games. In the 16 games prior to this slump or whatever you want to call it, we had a top 10 PP goals/60.

Fix the PP, and I think a lot of our issues start to disappear. We get some confidence, momentum, some extra jump. We've got the pieces to put something out there that should be better than what we're seeing.

Hoffman has a killer shot, Karlsson and Chabot can distribute from the backend. Stone does it all, Duchene drives the net well. Brassard has a good shot, and can distribute too. Some combination of these guys should be able to get something going even if we just meat and potatoes it and wire one timers from the point will the forwards funnel into the slot for screens, tips and rebounds.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Wait are you telling me that Brassard, Pageau, Ryan, Anderson and the rest of the team had nothing to do with us going as far as we did?

Also are you telling me that teams who make it far don't rely on elite players?

Brassard was shit outside of the first round.

If he's one of the people you're bringing up as help than my case has already been won.

Pageau and Ryan were good. And Anderson? He really didn't elevate his game.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Brassard was **** outside of the first round.

If he's one of the people you're bringing up as help than my case has already been won.

Pageau and Ryan were good. And Anderson? He really didn't elevate his game.
Brassard was also severely injured but he was lights out against boston which is key.

Burrows was actually playing really well and was a big lose when he went down as our shutdown line was missing a key player. The sens as a team played really well in the playoffs. Those guys sacrificed a lot. It most certainly wasn't just karlsson.

Was Karlsson our best player? without a doubt...but he should be

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Fair enough. I'm always hesitant to blame a players linemates though particularly when a guy is getting significant PP time as that report seemed to suggest.

Speaking of Power plays, how on earth are we so bad...
10 GP, 3 goals in 50 shots in 34 pp opportunities. Only scored PP goals in 2 games. In the 16 games prior to this slump or whatever you want to call it, we had a top 10 PP goals/60.

Fix the PP, and I think a lot of our issues start to disappear. We get some confidence, momentum, some extra jump. We've got the pieces to put something out there that should be better than what we're seeing.

Hoffman has a killer shot, Karlsson and Chabot can distribute from the backend. Stone does it all, Duchene drives the net well. Brassard has a good shot, and can distribute too. Some combination of these guys should be able to get something going even if we just meat and potatoes it and wire one timers from the point will the forwards funnel into the slot for screens, tips and rebounds.

Unfortunately, it was more important to make the team do push ups and situps instead of working on the PP.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

wow you can't even get White's stats right. I think you are underselling him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad