Pre-Game Talk: SENS in California (Ducks), Wed. 10:00pm on TSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
I think I'm starting to understand why Turris' skills work better on this team than Duchene's. Turris has that game-breaking release on his shot that can come out of nowhere and surprise the goalie. So that means the goal doesn't need to be the product of nice offensive set ups or passing plays. Duchene can certainly stick-handle his way toward the net, but he needs linemates to create space for him or to tap in the rebounds. (that's kind of true of Dzingel as well)

We know Stone also creates his own scoring opportunities regardless of his team mates, and Hoffman's shot is a game-breaking skill that again doesn't require much teamwork.

We're needing the types who can set up good plays, finish the job somebody else started, etc. Well those types could be Karlsson and Ryan, but both are playing through injuries. It's obvious to say, but I think with a 100% Ryan and a 100% Karlsson, we can finally see what Duchene can do. I would also glue Smith to Duchene, because I think he's a good complementary player for him.

if he can hit the net

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
This team is not good, we have to face the fact, last year was all a smoke screen, what we did was like catching lightning in a bottle, so personally i dont see Karlsson wanted to commit long term with the Sens, so we will have to trade him at one point.
We need a complete transformation from top to bottom, we need a new owner(s), a new new management, new gm, new coach, and a new identity.

We will never become a real contender if we keep patching wholes here and there, we always keep blaming the coach but at one point we have to realize that the problem is not the coach but the players we have. There's no leadership, who do we have that can step on this ice and say tonight fallow me i will lead us to victory? Its like they have accepted defeat before the game has even started, no one is leading this team.

Im feed up with this regurgitation that the Sens keep giving us year after after, we always good but not good enough or we bad but not bad enough, we have been stuck in middle for too long now and the biggest problem is our owner who is operating this franchise like its an american league franchise. Melnyk cant afford to put a real contender on the ice, he cant afford to have a real hockey operation with qualify people. I love this team and i love its fans who have endure a lot heart breaks thru the years, the city of ottawa deserve a contending team. I will always be a sens fan, i will never give up on this team, one day we will raise the cup.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
And you're stupid...

Karlsson is the best player ever to play for us. He's coming back from a major injury.

Losing Karlsson will destroy this franchise.
How old are you 5? calling others stupid is so immature, i have the right to my opinion and you have the right to disagree but calling me stupid is disrespectful. Thank you

P.S. And by the way im not stupid my mom had me tested :D

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
We will never become a real contender if we keep patching wholes here and there, we always keep blaming the coach but at one point we have to realize that the problem is not the coach but the players we have. There's no leadership, who do we have that can step on this ice and say tonight fallow me i will lead us to victory? Its like they have accepted defeat before the game has even started, no one is leading this team.

We had this one guy last year that was pretty great at leading us to victory.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Duchene gets the puck and tries to go to the net almost every time. Turris would stop up, let his teammates catch up or drive to the net, and then take a shot or make a pass. Someone said Duchene has blinders on when he has the puck and that's kind of true. Smith has worked well with him though so hopefully they stick together like you said.
I agree, but it shouldn't necessarily be always up to Duchene to adapt to his linemates. If the linemates understand that Duchene is going to drive to the net, they need to be there to facilitate that and to finish off what he started on the rebound. Smith can be that guy, and maybe Dumont can be the poor man's Smith for Dzingel (Dumont showed that tonight).

Each line can have the winger who can stick-handle to the net (Duchene, Hoff, Dzingel), the others play off of that. That's DrEasy's #system, which makes use of the skillset he has at his disposal, instead of using some cookie-cutter scheme like someone we know well.

Hoff - Brassard - Stone <- this line just needs Stone to be over his illness
Smith - Duchene - Ryan <- glue Smith to Duchene, use Ryan to make plays
Dumont - Pageau - Dzingel <- this seemed to work tonight
Burrows - Thompson - Pyatt <- don't care

Reactions: Brethers

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
After all this "Boucher gives them after last loss" talk and players comments, i expected much better effort. Some real havoc in Ducks zone. But change from last game was marginal.
What bothers me most is how low is actual skill level of this forward group. Sens need to bring in some new players. Via trade or White. Just to change things.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
We had this one guy last year that was pretty great at leading us to victory.
Stalberg? Or Wingels?

To the game though... for once we had a bit of fight pride... too bad it was in the first period and because Dion gave a cheeky cross check. I just wish if we were 3-0 down, the boys would try and have some pride. It’s so hard to watch this time suck day in day out.

Swisssen

Jan 23, 2010
Zurich
press-conference-pierre-dorion-imtroduces-the-ottawa-senators-new-centre-matt-duchene.jpg

Holy **** we got him boys!!!!

Depressing....

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
im actually so happy this team isn't just lightly suckign where they finish a couple of spots out of a playoff spot, a season like this can finally start the rebuild on a elite draft.
No, it really can't.

We will have this high pick, with no 2nd.

Next year we have no 1st, have our 2nd, and don't have our 3rd.

We are easily in one of the worst positions in the NHL.

Missing high draft picks for the next 2 drafts

2 of the worst contracts, long-term, in the NHL.

We have contract hell coming up with Kalrsson/Stone/etc.

We have a GM who doesn't know what he is doing. I really can't believe he was fooled by that run.

We have an extremely intelligent, but at the same time stupid, coach

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
time to tank. We should follow the paths that some of the other crap teams did before they got back to respectability.

Tampa - Stamkos
Pittsburgh - Crosby/Malkin
Toronto - Matthews
Chicago - Kane
Edmonton....well they just stink...but McDavid
New Jersey - Hischier
NY Isles - Tavares

All the above teams were awful before getting the top picks in the draft

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
We are easily in the worst position in the NHL.

easily? the worst? In the entire league? geez I didn't realize it was that bad.

maybe you should cheer for a different team rather than suffer thru a rebuild.

seriously are we having a competition for the most over the top negative comment one can make? where do I sign up?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
They did play hard, but I never felt like they'd win the game.

So that's terrible, maximum effort and horrible result.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Expected a turning point win last night, got the same old garbage...maybe tonight I guess...maybe next month...

Do yourself a favor and just don't expect anything but losing at this point.
It'll be better for your well-being.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

seriously are we having a competition for the most over the top negative comment one can make? where do I sign up?
Yeah you are definitely on the positive side, I wouldn't expect you too.

Why would I cheer for another team? I've been here, just as long as you. I'm just not going to gloss over the very apparent problems and pretend that everything is ok and shun those that "are just negative".

If all you want to do is look at things in a positive light maybe you should cheer for the Lightning?

NEWSFLASH: IF THINGS ARE NEGATIVE, I WILL POINT OUT THAT THEY ARE NEGATIVE.

I wouldn't suffer through a rebuild, I would embrace it. It's the Pejorative Slured moves that we have been making that make a rebuild pretty hard to accomplish, while we are at best a playoff bubble team in the worst division in hockey.

Why don't you list the positives that this team has going for them rather than just high-roading anyone who sees things "negative"?

Positives:
Our prospect depth is great, with Chabot and Brown as potential big time players. Chlapik/Batherson/Formenton/Jaros are great guys in the organisation
We have the best D in the world (due for a ~6 million dollar raise)
We have Stone (due for a ~4 million dollar raise)

Negatives:
We consistently overpay in trades, which is having an adverse effect on ability to rebuild
We have traded a ton of futures to become better today, with the complete opposite effect. (Zibanejad/2nd 2016/2nd 2017/2nd 2018/1st 2019). Is Dorian really going to be able to start a rebuild by trading off our spare NHL assets after we went all in with Duchene?
We are currently sitting in the bottom 5 of the league
We are likely not bad enough to stay in the bottom 5 in the league. We will either pick at the back end of the top 10, or be giving Colorado a pick in the 11-14 range
We are VERY CLEARLY a team that relies on a budget, and we are adding a significant increase (~10 million) to Stone and Karlsson in the near future. Hopefully this isn't a worry in the coming months
We need to be a competitive team it seems, Dorian really put a push on that, to show Karlsson that we are not going to tread water or rebuild. As anyone with eyes can see, the Sens are a very bad team right now. We are not bad enough to bottom out and get a top 1-4 pick, but are not good enough to make the playoffs.
We have a coach who, again anyone with a head on their shoulders can see, is making questionable decisions game in, game out. This isn't a pov thing, he has been making questionable decisions from the start of the year.
We have a rookie GM, who is showing that he is a rookie GM.
We lost our #2 d-man in the off-season for nothing (expansion draft, not much we could do there) and did nothing to replace him
I liked the Oduya signing, I assumed he would be played on the bottom pair and pressbox. Did not think he would be heavily relied upon, or partnered with Karlsson at any point.

I mean, if you could show me some reasons that I should be positive, I'd be all ears. I really don't like being negative, even in 2010 it was hard to be negative. They were able to "rebuild" that year that they finished bottom 5.

Being positive is great, I agree. Being negative sucks, I agree. Looking at things rationally, there is not much positive going on in Ottawa. I will be the first to publicly eat crow.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We have $2.6 million in cap space. Maybe the Sens are budget-conscious, and make decisions like waiting until a player's bonus is paid before acquiring them. But what would $2.6 million more in salary now buy us? We can't afford to bury big contracts, but I think the talent on this team is about as much as a team can afford under the cap.

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah you are definitely on the positive side, I wouldn't expect you too.

Why would I cheer for another team? I've been here, just as long as you. I'm just not going to gloss over the very apparent problems and pretend that everything is ok and shun those that "are just negative".

If all you want to do is look at things in a positive light maybe you should cheer for the Lightning?

NEWSFLASH: IF THINGS ARE NEGATIVE, I WILL POINT OUT THAT THEY ARE NEGATIVE.

I wouldn't suffer through a rebuild, I would embrace it. It's the ******ed moves that we have been making that make a rebuild pretty hard to accomplish, while we are at best a playoff bubble team in the worst division in hockey.

Why don't you list the positives that this team has going for them rather than just high-roading anyone who sees things "negative"?

Positives:
Our prospect depth is great, with Chabot and Brown as potential big time players. Chlapik/Batherson/Formenton/Jaros are great guys in the organisation
We have the best D in the world (due for a ~6 million dollar raise)
We have Stone (due for a ~4.5 million dollar raise)

Negatives:
We consistently overpay in trades, which is having an adverse effect on ability to rebuild
We have traded a ton of futures to become better today, with the complete opposite effect. (Zibanejad/2nd 2016/2nd 2017/2nd 2018/1st 2019). Is Dorian really going to be able to start a rebuild by trading off our spare NHL assets after we went all in with Duchene?
We are currently sitting in the bottom 5 of the league
We are likely not bad enough to stay in the bottom 5 in the league. We will either pick at the back end of the top 10, or be giving Colorado a pick in the 11-14 range
We are VERY CLEARLY a team that relies on a budget, and we are adding a significant increase (~10 million) to Stone and Karlsson in the near future. Hopefully this isn't a worry in the coming months
We need to be a competitive team it seems, Dorian really put a push on that, to show Karlsson that we are not going to tread water or rebuild. As anyone with eyes can see, the Sens are a very bad team right now. We are not bad enough to bottom out and get a top 1-4 pick, but are not good enough to make the playoffs.
We have a coach who, again anyone with a head on their shoulders can see, is making questionable decisions game in, game out. This isn't a pov thing, he has been making questionable decisions from the start of the year.
We have a rookie GM, who is showing that he is a rookie GM.
We lost our #2 d-man in the off-season for nothing (expansion draft, not much we could do there) and did nothing to replace him
I liked the Oduya signing, I assumed he would be played on the bottom pair and pressbox. Did not think he would be heavily relied upon, or partnered with Karlsson at any point.

I mean, if you could show me some reasons that I should be positive, I'd be all ears. I really don't like being negative, even in 2010 it was hard to be negative. They were able to "rebuild" that year that they finished bottom 5.

Being positive is great, I agree. Being negative sucks, I agree. Looking at things rationally, there is not much positive going on in Ottawa. I will be the first to publicly eat crow.

Pin this.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Because they like the team? Many fans admit their team sucks, doesnt mean they aren't fans. It's called being realistic.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This team is not good, we have to face the fact, last year was all a smoke screen, what we did was like catching lightning in a bottle, so personally i dont see Karlsson wanted to commit long term with the Sens, so we will have to trade him at one point.
We need a complete transformation from top to bottom, we need a new owner(s), a new new management, new gm, new coach, and a new identity.

Im feed up with this regurgitation that the Sens keep giving us year after after, we always good but not good enough or we bad but not bad enough, we have been stuck in middle for too long now and the biggest problem is our owner who is operating this franchise like its an american league franchise. Melnyk cant afford to put a real contender on the ice, he cant afford to have a real hockey operation with qualify people. I love this team and i love its fans who have endure a lot heart breaks thru the years, the city of ottawa deserve a contending team. I will always be a sens fan, i will never give up on this team, one day we will raise the cup.
To your point about melnyk not being able to ice a contender. I mean. There are teams with budgets that ice good teams year after year.

We have 14 million allocated to Ryan and phaneuf. Phaneuf was known as a horrible contract. We went out and acquired him. We've been suffering from subpar management for a long time.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I also had a friend who worked season tickets for the senators and he had some inklings that Turris, Stone, and Hoff weren't too happy with Boucher I took it with a huge grain of salt, that was before Turris was moved and the season started.

Voucher really needs to get a refund on that sports psychology degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad