Pre-Game Talk: Senators VS Sabres (...and the lehner) Sept.23 TSN5 7pm

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Agreed. I don't like it. 4 on 4 had a bit of structure and was still exciting. 3 on 3 is shinny and has the entertainment value of an all star game.

What the NHL needs to do is prevent so many games from going to OT in the first place. It's ridiculous that over a quarter of the games aren't decided in regulation.

If the refs would get back to calling the rules in the rulebook, we wouldn't have the problem with so many overtime games.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
man Wideman and Karlsson on the same team... plus progression of Ceci, and Wiercioch... I am not worthy.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Why's that? Passes and defence > breakaway contest

Shootouts at least build tension and make for good entertainment, especially live.

3 on 3 from the limited example I've seen is 30 seconds of figure skating/safe passes until someone slips on a banana peel and causes an odd man rush.

For all the talk of how exciting it would be, the first two Sens 3 on 3 OTs were really lame.

For as much as 3 on 3 has passes and defence, shootouts have shots and saves, same logic. 3 on 3 resembles regulation hockey very little. The only benefit to 3 on 3 is from a TV perspective that it gets a game done almost always by a certain time.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
Shootouts at least build tension and make for good entertainment, especially live.n

3 on 3 from the limited example I've seen is 30 seconds of figure skating/safe passes until someone slips on a banana peel and causes an odd man rush.

For all the talk of how exciting it would be, the first two Sens 3 on 3 OTs were really lame.

For as much as 3 on 3 has passes and defence, shootouts have shots and saves, same logic. 3 on 3 resembles regulation hockey very little. The only benefit to 3 on 3 is from a TV perspective that it gets a game done almost always by a certain time.

It resembles a game more than a shootout though. Just because they've ended quickly doesn't mean they are bad. To each their own though lol

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
It resembles a game more than a shootout though. Just because they've ended quickly doesn't mean they are bad. To each their own though lol

It should be 5 minutes of 4-on-4 then 5 minutes of 3-on-3, but the NHL won't do it because "it takes too much time".

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Shootouts at least build tension and make for good entertainment, especially live.

No, it's not. Shootout is the worst. 3-on-3 is great.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
It should be 5 minutes of 4-on-4 then 5 minutes of 3-on-3, but the NHL won't do it because "it takes too much time".

This really is how it should be done. 3 on 3 right after regulation doesn't feel quite right (if what we've seen so far is any indication)..

BigBush*

Just watching the rest of the game now. Holy crap Greening got rocked

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Just watching the rest of the game now. Holy crap Greening got rocked

i realized after that greening is the one who knocked lehner in the head(replay showed elbow-head unintentional i believe)

coincidence? i'm not sure. i'd be surprised if he was targeted but not that surprised.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
This was a fun game to watch. Kids did well against a more experienced squad.

I was especially impressed with O'Connor, this guy is good.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
The simple solution is to go to the 3 point game system to incentivize regulation wins

Kind of lame, but I've somehow become a fan of going back to ties.

EDIT: Should clarify that I meant a tie after 5 minutes of sudden death 4 on 4.

Last edited:

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

Wrong.

The NHLPA vetoed successive overtime periods.

And really, do you want the 1st line players on for 20 minutes of regulation play, then have them play a half-period more hockey? It would be ridiculously tiring, promote injury, etc.

Best option would be to revert to tie games, 2nd best is immediate 3-on-3 for 5 minutes & shootout.

And that's that.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
That was a decent game to watch.

Random thoughts:

Chabot: This guy really is going to be something in a few years. There really is some Bouwmeester in there.

Wideman: Made several very nice passes through the neutral zone and out of the defensive zone. He looks like exactly what the Sens need on the bottom pair. Good job in OT. Needs to be careful not to get lit up like that too often or he'll be injured in no time.

Prince: Very noticeable IMO. He seemed to me to be on a different level than many of his teammates.

Dzingel: This guy is just pesky. Good speed, makes moves with speed as well. Like him a lot.

Zibanejad had some beast shifts and then disappearing acts.

Cowen played much better than the last game. Fewer bonehead plays. Strong physical game.

O'Connor: Beast. Lateral movement + 6'6 was reminiscent of Bishop. Made a huge save on Ennis trying to wrap one in. This performance was really exciting, he bailed the team out several times.

Chiasson played a better game overall but I still don't like the guy. Just frustrating to see a guy that huge lose so many puck battles. How does a guy this big go to the boards with Gionta and Gionta skates away with the puck? At least pin the guy damn it.

Pageau-Lazar: These two will be the new Vermelly. Hard work all over the ice.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I wish I could get that Cameron sound bite about Lehner when people here go on about how great he's going to be...

"I have NO interest in Robin Lehner". COLD-BLOODED.

Matt O'Connor - 1, Robin Lehner - 0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad